Sneezing In Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mct2762

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this may sound dumb, but it was a legit question I had after yesterday. I was scrubbed in on a hysterectomy and had to sneeze really bad. What are you supposed to do in that situation!? You can't touch your face....are you supposed to sneeze in the mask and just have your snot sitting there?
I can't be the only person who has had this question!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can, announce that you need to sneeze, then back away from the field.
Sneeze into your mask.
Hope that it doesn't fly off your face.

Pray that the circulator is nice and will re-mask you if necessary. (this is why you thank them 5 times while they are gowning you...)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I strongly recommend pressing your tongue as hard as you can into the roof of your mouth. This stifles the sneeze for most people.

However, if you're really sick, with a really runny nose, sometimes you just have to go for it. Step back, and be ready to spend the surgery with that gunk on your lips.

Reactions: 1 user
I strongly recommend pressing your tongue as hard as you can into the roof of your mouth. This stifles the sneeze for most people.

However, if you're really sick, with a really runny nose, sometimes you just have to go for it. Step back, and be ready to spend the surgery with that gunk on your lips.
I also recommend the tongue trick. Saved me from sneezing many times.

Reactions: 1 users
sneeze as loudly and obnoxiously as possible without shifting stone-cold eye contact with the scrub nurse.

Reactions: 9 users
Don't turn your head. Even if something flies out, the open parts of your mask are pointed towards your back (away from the patient).

I'm really glad that this crucial question was posted in both the osteo and allo forums. I would imagine that DOs take a more holistic approach to sneezing in surgery.

Reactions: 27 users
Geez, you started this thread on a ton of different SDN boards

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really glad that this crucial question was posted in both the osteo and allo forums. I would imagine that DOs take a more holistic approach to sneezing in surgery.

spoken like a symptom-lovin' allobitch.

Reactions: 6 users
Here's an idea: don't start them in the first place.

Gee thanks for the super helpful advice. I didn't know it was against the rules. Now that I do I am trying to delete.

As others have said, try not to sneeze or deal with it. Sometimes if you're friends with the circulating nurse (and it's a really bad snotty one), you can ask her to re-mask you, as your face isn't sterile.

i want @Winged Scapula 's powers :(

> <
Those powers are dangerous and can only be wielded by the strong (wearing cute shoes).
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1398981751.456842.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I just had a blood draw workshop and I just gotta say, those are some nice veins.

laundry hasnt been done in a while. hence, ive transitioned over to dresses.

....till i can convince my parents housekeeper to do the laundry i dont wanna do, that is > < :p
You're like The Princess and the Pea.

too crowded.
Shoe gold M.C..jpg

or
b8fde48e39f0a9a67850fb237a8e9eba.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Well, then let me kill the mood. I share my Mum's taste in most things :p

My Dad and I mainly share physique, tempers, and taste in scotch and automobiles.