SO confused. Non science background...I might go for it. Encouragment?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6730b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no science background. Working full time in a solid career where my earning potential is unrestricted. However, lately I am getting the urge to take a shot at medicine.

is it likely that someone from a non science background can take the prereq (part time while working) write the mcat and then get into med school?

Also , I have to take 1 year of all the sciences (bio, chem, ochem, physics) to even be able to apply. What order should I do these classes (part time, proabably 1 or 2 at a time until I get serious about this)

THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no science background. Working full time in a solid career where my earning potential is unrestricted. However, lately I am getting the urge to take a shot at medicine.

is it likely that someone from a non science background can take the prereq (part time while working) write the mcat and then get into med school?

Also , I have to take 1 year of all the sciences (bio, chem, ochem, physics) to even be able to apply. What order should I do these classes (part time, proabably 1 or 2 at a time until I get serious about this)

THANKS!!!

This is a difficult question to answer. To be honest, the true answer is completely different for each person. It depends on many things such as:

How long has it been since you've been in school?
What classes were you strong in?

You say, "no science background". Does this mean not in high school either?

Are you strong at math?

Many sciences are very math related/ intensive.

Completing classes on a part time basis can probably be explained by the need to support your family, however, you would need an extremely high GPA to counter the part time status.

You say you 'need one year to complete the basics' then naming bio, chem, physics and o chem. It's highly likely this is one year. This is a 2 year endeavor even for a full time student with a strong science background. Part time this could be a 3 year endeavor or longer depending on how many hours you plan to take part time.

The sequence order for the general sciences are biology or chemistry (I & II) both with labs, the Organic Chem (I & II) with labs, then physics.

You can put physics with bio, chem, or O chem, but physics is very heavily math related. O Chem is a killer of a class. In fact, it may very well be the toughest class you will take before applying to med school.

Yes, it is true that O chem may come easy to some; but this is not the norm and for someone even strong at math but with no science background it will likely be the class you will dread. (O Chem is not really math based as is physics).

With all that being said, anything is doable if you truly want it.

You just need to figure out how badly you really want it because its very hard to get in, the cirriculum is extremely tough, it's a long haul (even for those who are absolutely in love with science and math) and on a part time basis its a very long road.

If you currently have a bachelor's degree you can look at the post grad programs for the pre med requirements, or, go for another BS degree and your gen ed should mostly transfer (depending on time line).

As the saying goes, "the grass always looks greener on the other side", but in reality once you get to the other side sometimes its not sooo green.

Figure out what you really want and then go for it. In the meantime, it never hurts to go back to school and take classes if you have the time and money to do so. Just keep in mind "A's" are important!

Hope this helps.
Good Luck! Let us know what you decide.

Last edited:
However, lately I am getting the urge to take a shot at medicine.

I think a big part of how we answer your question depends on what your motivation is for wanting to take a shot a medicine. What in your life has inspired you to want to do this? Do you have a good understanding of what it's going to involve?

Don't need a personal statement worthy answer or anything, it'd just be helpful to know where you're coming from. It can help us give more directed input.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can do it!!! :D

On a serious note, though, it does depend on the person. How likely is it?? I think it's very likely that someone from a non-science background can take pre-reqs, the MCAT and be accepted to med school eventually. It's hard work and I have no way of knowing whether you can handle (grasp) the science work at this point. I'd recommend you start out slow (don't overload on science courses), find on-campus tutors right off the bat, work hard and aim for A's. Then you'll have a better idea of what kind of student you are and how much you can really handle.

A good chunk of non-trad post-baccs in my program were career changers from non-science backgrounds as well. It's fairly common IMO.

There are many people from non-science backgrounds that have gotten into med school. I have a degree in German.

Take a science class or 2 to test the water if you're worried. I took Chem I when I decided to go for med school. I wasn't sure I'd be able to hack it (I'd always sucked at Chem), but I told myself I'd try my hardest on that class, and if I could make an A then I'd give this med school thing a solid try. Here I am 2 years later with an acceptance :)

It's definitely possible, just make sure it's what you want.

I have a BS in psych, got a D in chem and physio the first time around and graduated with w 2.32. I now have a 2.73 one year to go and im loving it. If you like science and cant doing anything else, I say go for it!

wow. some great responses.

eablackwell, your message was really encouraging because what you went through is exactly what i was thinking of doing.

I do not have ANY science background. But I am very well educated and learn very fast. I am in a professional field that is highly highly respected. I think this may help my application??? I am 25 yo

My motivation to go into medicine is because 1) I think it is better suited for my personality. I really enjoy studying (I know), and when I work I take my job very seriously. Right now I am finding that my position it more about getting people to "like you" although it allows me to keep learning in my area of expertise. I have considered using my skill set in area related to medicine but I really want to think about trying for this. 2) I want to do what I am passionate about for a living - you know how they say you'll never feel like your working if you enjoy what you do 3) My relationship with Doctors have really impacted my life. I find that I remember almost every service I have received from a Doctor. I would love to make that thype of impact with someone

I am not doing this for the money. In my position I am pretty much guarenteed 200k/yr in 5 years. Good thing is I can always go back do this work if I don't make it in med school.

I also realize that the grass may just look greener. I plann on volunteering in a hospital to feel out what it's like to be there for 8 hrs working.One thing that pops to mind is leaving a respected position where I have power to someone with no say that may have to answer to some totally unreasonable boss.

I do not want to do the post bacc because I am not ready to risk my career and everything I've worked for at this point. I was thinking taking 2 courses a semester. This would amount just about a year and a half if I take 2, 2, 2, 2. I am considering taking 1 (see how it goes), 2, and then try to go part time work and take 3. MCAT would only be in sight if everything goes perfect. Who knows I might throw in the towel after one week :)

Would love feedback! Thanks, agian.

I think the reasons that you have listed are poor. I'm not saying that medicine isn't right, but it will take more than what you said. Politics are still involved in medicine, and being "liked" is important if you want to have patients. Doing something you enjoy is great, but have you ever shadowed doctors or done anything medically related to know you'll like it? Also, remembering your doctors isn't much of a reason at all.

If you really want to abandon your career for medicine, you should be more careful. You should get your feet wet before you do it. Take 1 science class like anatomy or physiology even if its not a med school prerequisite. It should reveal to you if you enjoy studying the human body. You should attempt some shadowing too. Having no science background, you may really find you hate science once you start doing it.

I did say I wanted to do something that I was passonate about for aliving. I do not know if I will like studying medicine, that is an valid point- I did say I was going to investigate this.

Are my other reasons way off? What are the reasons why you or anyone else wants to become a doctor. What would you list during a med school interview?

I did say I wanted to do something that I was passonate about for aliving. I do not know if I will like studying medicine, that is an valid point- I did say I was going to investigate this.

Are my other reasons way off? What are the reasons why you or anyone else wants to become a doctor. What would you list during a med school interview?
Put yourself in the shoes of admissions committees. Has anything that you said sound specific? Everything is so vague that I could put it to being a therapist, firefighter, policeman, entomologist, etc.

I don't want to go into the details of my own situation, but I will tell you that for me it was a journey that built over time. There's a logical progress to it. I didn't just wake up and decide medicine was for me (not saying this is you, but it comes off that way). I have taken courses, volunteered in the ER, and I've spoken to physicians.

:laugh:good answer. I respect you don't want to describe personal reasons but it was a policitally correct answer. I assume during an admissions interview they to address with specifics of what you enjoyed about the experiences you named.

Last edited:
:laugh:good answer. I respect you don't want to describe personal reasons but it was a policitally correct answer. I assume during an admissions interview they to address with specifics of what you enjoyed about the experiences you named.

Everybody is a little vague about their reasons for going into medicine. As you have already figured out, medicine is actually a financial downer for you, so you want it for some other reason. You may not even know your true motivation yet. The fact is that the admissions committee wants to see some indication of your real reason, not just the cliche'd reasons everyone gives.

You have years before you have to explain this, but it's a difficult question and you want to have a specific and good answer when it comes.

You need at least 2 years for your pre-reqs. If you come at them in a rush you will not learn them well and get a high grade on the MCAT.

Like everyone else who just starts on this path, you probably think that standardized tests are a cinch, but the MCAT is not. It is intentionally made in order to separate out people who have always scored in the 98th percentile.

This is a very long process. It will be years before you can get into medical school. Many are called, few are chosen. Don't start on the path until you have already followed enough doctors to figure out if this is really what you want to do. The sacrifices are huge. You are asking your family to stop living at a 6 figure income level and reduce their living expenses to $1500/month. Just during the pre-reqs you will become unavailable for many activities that you have trained yourself to enjoy.

One of the most common saying you'll see over on the oldpremed.com forums is "it's a marathon, not a sprint'. You will be FAR better served taking two or three years and excelling than getting done in a year and doing mediocre. I know it's extremely compelling to jump in with both feet, eye shut and hands tied behind your back just to prove you can do it (to yourself more than anyone, for us driven types), but realize the value in taking a deep breath, leaning back and plotting a methodical pace that will get you were you *want* to be rather than rush you to where you *hope* to be Because, in the grand scheme of things, one extra year of schooling is nothing on this journey but a year of barely passable grades and/or academic burnout will almost certainly spell the end of your journey.

As for the non-science background, you're not only not unique, you're actually what AdComs seem to be looking for more and more these days. They like seeing people who know a bit about the "real world" and who have a broad educational base (with exceptional grades in the hard sciences, of course). The impression I've gotten lately is they would rather see an art history major who put in the work to finish off the pre-reqs and excelled at the MCAT than a Biology major with the same grades/score. Look at your background as a mark in your plus column, not a negative.

Hi, I posted this earlier in the pre-DO forum, but I thought it might be helpful info for you too, as it highlights the fact that non-science majors do very well in the admissions process.

Enjoy:

Here's a few insights that I gleaned from the AAMC table: (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...e8ihhg&cad=rja)

Overall MCAT scores from humanities matriculants are 1.2 points higher than biological science matriculants. However, 0.8 of these points are due to higher verbal reasoning scores, which are historically difficult for examinees to improve through practice. Ignoring the differences in verbal reasoning scores, humanities matriculant's MCAT scores are only 0.4 points higher than biological science matriculants. Additionally, humanities matriculants predictably showed higher writing scores than science majors.

Also,
34.4% of health science applicants were admitted
42.8% of biological science applicants were admitted
47.1% & 47.4% of physical science and math applicants, respectively, were admitted. (These applicants posted higher mean MCAT scores than any other major, yet humanities applicants were still accepted in slightly higher percentages.)
50.8% of humanities applicants were admitted (with lower mean GPAs than science and health science majors)

How did you do in school the first time around? If you didn't have an outstanding GPA, what has changed since then? Do you have reason to believe you'd be able to study more efficiently this time? How did you do in math classes?

Those are a few questions I'd ponder in your shoes - i.e. for someone who hasn't taken science before. I had science from high school and had excelled so I knew the basic concepts, even a decade later. But I still wondered if I could hack it at the college level. I started out full-time with general chemistry I, bio I and a human development class (purely out of interest). I told myself if I didn't get A's, I'd reconsider. I got As and took the second semester of those classes, with another biology class and statistics. Got A's and moved on from there. I also added 8 hrs a week of volunteering in the second semester. It took me 21 months (two years) to finish the prereqs plus a few extra science classes such as anatomy and physiology I and II.

If I did anything differently, I'd start shadowing and volunteering before going back to school. A month or two of that will give you more of a sense of whether the field is for you before you even invest the money or time in one chemistry course. If you like what you see, enroll in general chemistry I and see how you do.

I didn't have the huge financial possibilities you seem to have, therefore leaving my old career wasn't a loss in that area. If the money means a lot to you, you might want to consider staying and "make a difference" through volunteer work, etc. There are a lot of meaningful jobs to be had, and you will most likely never recover financially as a physician if what you're saying about making $200,000 in a few years proves to be accurate.

I personally think Bio is the easiest of these if you're worried about biting off more than you can chew. Otherwise, I recommend Chem right away because it is usually a prereq for OChem. If and when you register, check out ratemyprofessor.com (do take it with a grain of salt though).

THANKS!!!

Well I did and so it is possible. The science was not my problem it was the math. I took chem 101 winter semester and i was so lost i dropped it. I went back and took college algebra with pre-calc focus during the summer and completed all the requirements full time in two years. Even with that I was asked about upper level Science course work during interview. luckily for me i had taken biochemistry, genetics and cell bio during the application year.

good luck