So Dr. Scholl was technically an M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.phoot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The #1 well-known name, when it comes to podiatry, wasn't even a podiatrist. Before you chew me up, yes, I'm aware the DPM title wasn't around (yet) back in his time!

It's just interesting to know.

He also founded the school Dr. Scholl CoPM; was always under the impression he was an alumnus there. And there was only one actual "chiropodist" among the founding members of the school.

No big take-home point here, but I just thought it was interesting.

"Founded in 1912 by Dr. William M. Scholl along with five medical doctors, a pharmacist, a chiropodist, a chemist and a shoe fitter, SCPM was originally called Illinois College of Chiropody and Orthopedics. At the time, both daytime and evening sessions were offered. As with Chicago Medical School, SCPM's admission policies were based on non-discrimination"

The famous Dr. Scholl:

YoungDrScholl2.png

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._William_M._Scholl_College_of_Podiatric_Medicine
image: https://www.drscholls.com/about-scholls/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
he certainly had a fresh hairstyle
Agreed. He's from a time where they took grooming and fashion much more serious than we seem to take it today. Or maybe I'm just an old soul and dress like a grandpa :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Did not know this. Pretty cool to go through the history of all the different schools. Maybe post some more of the schools that interest you.

Did not know this. Pretty cool to go through the history of all the different schools. Maybe post some more of the schools that interest you.
they didnt have podiatry school back then, so the fact that he was an MD is not relatively surprising at all.

I was actually thinking of doing a March Madness kind of thing where I review one of the 9 schools each day. I didn't think anyone would be interested though lol.

they didnt have podiatry school back then, so the fact that he was an MD is not relatively surprising at all.
Definitely. Chiropody seems to be where the story of podiatry really begins. And chiropody was around back then. It wasn't "respected" as real medicine so that might have been why Dr. William Scholl steered away from it. I'm curious what he specialized in though. He really made his name from his entrepreneurial skills and biomechanics

He didn't found the school, he donated like $5,000,000 and the school changed it's name.

I can look up the specifics later unless someone from Scholl can elaborate in the mean time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

He didn't found the school, he donated like $5,000,000 and the school changed it's name.

I can look up the specifics later unless someone from Scholl can elaborate in the mean time.

Impressive. I can see why they changed the name. I would change my birth name to "extra small condom" for $5,000,000

Reactions: 4 users
Impressive. I can see why they changed the name. I would change my birth name to "extra small condom" for $5,000,000
I hadn't heard of him founding the school. But that would surprise me because when the board of directors of the school decided to accept the money and change the name, the students there didn't wanna graduate with a Scholl diploma and sued the school. Why would they care if Scholl had already founded the school?

Also, Scholl had offered the money to other schools as well in case the Chicago school turned him down, why would he offer the money to other schools if he founded the Chicago school?

I hadn't heard of him founding the school. But that would surprise me because when the board of directors of the school decided to accept the money and change the name, the students there didn't wanna graduate with a Scholl diploma and sued the school. Why would they care if Scholl had already founded the school?

Also, Scholl had offered the money to other schools as well in case the Chicago school turned him down, why would he offer the money to other schools if he founded the Chicago school?

hm..... so many credible sources are giving him credit as a founder. I'm tempted to call tomorrow and ask :D

Reactions: 1 user
Lol, I may have just heard half the story. He may very well have founded it. Let me see if I can dig anything up on it.

Reactions: 1 user
So the story seems to go that he was indeed a cofounder of the school. At some point it was handed off to a nonprofit and Scholl wasn't directly involved anymore. In the meantime, the students at the school were largely taught that Scholl products are mostly gimmicks and pale in comparison to the care of a chiropodist/podiatrist. So when the Dr Scholl Foundation offered a $5,000,000 endowment to the school and the board of directors decided to change their name the students were upset, because they didn't want Scholl on their diplomas—they didn't want to be associated with that name. The class of 1982 would be the first to have Scholl on their degrees (they had started school at the Illinois College of Chiropody and that was getting pulled out from under them), so they sued the board of directors. Apparently, the students were talked into settling/dropping the suit. But the board of directors essentially outsmarted them and the class of 1982 got the Scholl name on their degrees—sick settlement bro.

So that all ties together how he cofounded the school, but how by the early 80s the students wanted nothing to do with the Scholl name, but it ended up getting changed over anyway. Good job everyone.

Note: Different sources say that the name of the school changed anywhere from 1981-1986, but it was definitely the class of 1982 that had the first Scholl degrees.

Reactions: 2 users
Glad we got to the bottom of that. I think the transition from chiropody to podi has changed the image of podiatry as a whole for the better. But at the same time, imagine the profession (in the U.S.) including hands. I heard the state of Ohio still includes hands in their scope.

"The State Medical Board of Ohio determined that an Ohio podiatric physician who has successfully completed appropriate training may, as medically appropriate, provide treatment of fingernail fungus in podiatric patients and for treatment of scars on the hand when the etiology is not associated with trauma."

I think a few states are like that

I believe there are about 5 states that currently include the nonsurgical care of the hands in their scope. What I'm more impressed by though is the states who have nonsurgical care of the knee and thigh included in their scopes, where you can do knee injections and superficial vascular work of the thigh and autografts from the thigh, which strips away a lot of arbitrary restrictions. If a pod can treat the vasculature below the knee then why not above the knee (not above the hip)? If a pod can inject the tiny joints in the foot then why not the comparatively mile wide knee joint? Easy peasy. Et cetera. I'm sure every state will get there eventually, buy it'll take a while. There are still like 3 states with only the foot in their scope of practice and a large number which can't go above an arbitrary line just above the ankle.

Reactions: 1 users