so energy increases for removing an electron from low to high n/orbit correct?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sangria1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
from what I understand, the energy to remove an electron from low orbit to high orbit increases....this makes sense.

but in zumhdal the values are weird....they go from -(low magnitude) to -(high magnitude). I dont understand why thi is the case...shouldnt it go from -(high magnitude) to -(low magnitude) because of the negative sign?

also how do you reconcile all this with the fact that the highest value can only be zero.

Basically heres what I thought- energy at say n=5 is higher than at n=1. But that means that n=5 should be closer to zero, not further away....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say but as for the zero, we designate zero as the energy required to remove an electron when it is infinitely far away. In terms of energy, the closer the electron is to the nucleus (lower orbital), more energy (a GREATER negative E value) would be required to remove the electron. This is a result of the greater attractive force felt since it's closer to the nucleus and lack of shielding.

wouldnt it require more energy to remove an electron from a lower n level, as its energy is more negative and it feels a stronger electrostatic attraction for the nucleus than an electron in a higher n?

according to the equation,
deltaE = -Rh(1/nf^2 - 1/ni^2)

Members don't see this ad :)
When something is at a higher energy level or shell :thumbdown: then it becomes easier to remove the e- because the Zeff decreases (the tug of the protons on the electrons after electron shielding).

Firstly you need to always remember the first law of thermodynamics. Once you know that nothing ever increases or decreases energy you are allowed to view things from either perspective. As they said, the higher energy electron already has more of the energy it needs to be removed, so the energy is being measured in a way that is 180 deg different than what you expected.