So... how hard is vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosemma

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. It's hard. But I am trying to prepare myself for this fall.

I imagine it's like finals week during undergrad, but just 100% of the time. Will I have some free time? Do you ever get to relax? Do you go to school 8-5 then study til midnight then get up and do it all over again? Someone just give me an idea. When I went on my tour to MSU the student guide was like "Well, I don't think vet school is hard at all. I have a lot of free time." And I found that somewhat ridiculous sounding.

Any current vet students - what is your general schedule? Any help would be great and appreciated!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I went on a school tour, and one of the first years said that she didn't have to do much at home studying at all! Just going to lectures was good enough to do well. (They were in second semester by then)

Maybe they just start you off easy...?

During the interview day at Illinois i asked someone what she wished she had known before starting vet school...i specifically meant starting at UIUC but she responded..."everyone tells you vet school is hard - but i never realized how hard it was going to be"

...kinda the opposite reaction from what you got rosemma!

Members don't see this ad :)
my friends that are in vet school have told me that none of the classes individually are harder or much harder than a hard undergrad course, but what makes it hard is the fact that there aren't easy classes (like easy gen eds in undergrad).

at my interviews, students have ranged from not much studying to studying all the time, so I think it depends on individual learning style

You could argue it either way. Honestly, the content is not that difficult to understand at all (at least the first year stuff), it's the work load that is somewhat taxing. We go to school from 8-3:30ish (first semester was around 5ish) and then when I go home, I have to sit there for a second and decompress. Comparing it to finals week in undergrad would I guess be the closest thing. The hardest thing is that you say "I'm going to stay up on all my classes" and then the first test comes around and you shove everything else out of the way to bone up for that test and then the other tests come flying at you right after (and now you're behind from focusing on the one). It really takes someone who can handle the time management aspect well. Not to mention, when your on block scheduling, all your tests seem to hit at the 4 and 8 week marks making those absolute hell weeks.

In regards to lailanni's comment about not having to study...some can do that, but not all. There are definitely classes that are easier than others (and by easier, I just mean less time consuming).

And just to clarify, I went through a difficult undergrad and I never had to study like I do in vet school. This is a completely new beast!

That being said, we do have more free time than I expected, but I choose to use it to walk my dog or procrastinate by posting on SDN ;)

I am a first year at Penn and I don't think it is horrible. There are times when you want to pull your hair out but its not all the time (or it doesn't have to be). There are a lot of exams and it can get very stressful but you have to learn how to balance your time. There are people in our class that spent every morning before class in the anatomy lab reviewing things and then there were those that could come in the day before the exam and feel comfortable taking the exam. It depends on your study style and what you want to accomplish from studying.

I personally strike a balance between studying and playing. I love to watch college sports and don't think I ever missed a game I wanted to watch this fall, but it was a choice I made to make me happy. And unless there was an anatomy exam the next Monday I never did work Friday night. My friends and I also go out to bars every other week or so. So again it just depends on what you want to gain from studying and how you study.

I feel like I was completely prepared for vet school from my undergrad school and it was not a big adjustment, but I know a few people that have really struggled figuring out how to study and balance everything. I've managed to keep a 4.0 through 3/4 of my first year and I don't study every single night or weekend. But what does that 4.0 mean? Who knows. It might help down the road or it might not. But I haven't sacrificed anything I would regret to get it so I'll keep doing what I am doing.

So there is no single answer about the difficulty level of vet school. But it is definately not impossible and can be enjoyable (as enjoyable as 6 exams in 4 weeks can be). Good luck and don't forget to enjoy life!

i'm a 4th year... I've found vet school to be completely manageable... i bust my a$$ when i needed to, and partied when i had the chance. I found a nice balance.

2nd year, however, was by far the worst year - i think i had a major test pretty much every 2 weeks, sometimes twice a week... sometimes two in the same day. It was hell. 1st year was a breeze, and 3rd year was busy, but nothing like 2nd year.

All in all, i'd say its no more difficult than undergrad - maybe just more volume.

I think it *really* depends on who you talk to. I only had a 3.3 GPA as an undergrad, so I wasn't expecting to fly through. And I'm sure not now! :rolleyes: But that being said, the first few days of a new block, I don't do much reading. On the weekends, I try to keep Saturday down to no more than 1-2 hours of studying, even if I have a big test or three coming up.

Grad school did prepare me better for the level of classes, so if anyone's contemplating graduate school before professional school, there you go. They are pretty much the same level of classes in grad school as you have in vet school and in fact, we have a handful of grad students in several of our classes. That being said, in grad school, you took 1 or 2 hard classes at a time plus maybe 1 or 2 easier seminar classes or journal club classes (where you have to read a peer reviewed journal article each week and discuss it intelligently with faculty and other students). But you also have to do between 20 and 40+ hours (depending on your project!) of research and about 6-10 hours each week on teaching. In vet school thus far, we seem to be having 4 classes a block: usually 2 with hardcore memorization (like anatomy and histology) and 2 that are more conceptual type classes (like nutrition and physiology). So there's double the course load, but just not as much responsibility with other things that are mandatory in grad school (well, for most folks). So I think I was honestly probably as busy, but just doing different things, if that makes sense.

You can make it as hard as you like really. There's always something new to learn so you COULD study all the time, but you'll just end up going insane. Better to accept you can't get everything right, and enjoy some free time where you can. (Around exam time though its not much fun at all!!!!!!!)

I've also been wondering how hard vet school really is (I've taken med school courses (not pre-med) and marvelled at how spoon-fed the med students are, yet everyone says med school is really tough). My thoughts on a schedule for a typical week were:

Class M-F ~8-4 or 5
Studying/homework ~3 hours/night
Weekends, studying/homework ~8-10 hours (so 4-5/day)

For those of you in vet school, does this sound about right? Too little? Too much?

I've also been wondering how hard vet school really is (I've taken med school courses (not pre-med) and marvelled at how spoon-fed the med students are, yet everyone says med school is really tough). My thoughts on a schedule for a typical week were:

Class M-F ~8-4 or 5

For those of you in vet school, does this sound about right? Too little? Too much?

Sounds about right to me.

I don't know about other schools, but at UTK, first semester we had plenty of days where we were out by noon. This semester, not so much. And this semester, we have a major test or two every week (since the beginning of Feb). 1st semester here was really to get your feet wet. It certainly feels like finals all the time right now though. But then, when we do get extra free time, I don't know what to do with myself anymore. So I guess its just a matter of getting used to it.

It certainly feels like finals all the time right now though. But then, when we do get extra free time, I don't know what to do with myself anymore. So I guess its just a matter of getting used to it.

This sounds pretty similar to Tufts. We have an exam pretty much every week so other than finals nothing is lumped together. I like this system in the lack of clumped exams but there is always an exam to study for. In my mind the material in our classes isn't particularly difficult it is just very fast paced. In stead of having a class two or three times a week you have it everyday so you go through material that much faster. I also think the hardness of vet school depends on your personal goals. My goal has always been to learn the material to the best of my ability. So I study a lot more than someone who is simply aiming to pass the classes. Both ways work as long as your passing--it just depends on what you need to do to be satisfied with yourself. I also think its a good idea to take some time for yourself everyday--read for fun, watch TV, walk the dog--do something unrelated to learning all the nerves in the horse's front leg.

I also find when we have a bigger gap between exams (a week and a half rather than a week) I suddenly become very good at procrastinating!

The time schedule somewhere above sounded about right--although we get seemingly random days where we start late or get out early often right before an exam.

I'm very glad someone started this thread! It seems like there are so many horror stories: "all you ever do is go to class, study, and sleep if you are lucky," "you though undergrad was hard...just you wait," and on and on and on. I think it scares all us applicants, so it's nice to see people giving us more realistic views of vet school.

Also, are all of your classes really every single day? What about labs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very glad someone started this thread! It seems like there are so many horror stories: "all you ever do is go to class, study, and sleep if you are lucky," "you though undergrad was hard...just you wait," and on and on and on. I think it scares all us applicants, so it's nice to see people giving us more realistic views of vet school.

Also, are all of your classes really every single day? What about labs?

It depends on the credit hours. Physiology is basically every day. Anatomy lecture is also just about every day. Strangely, parasit is almost every day, too, even though it is worth less credit hours. Micro, virology, and epidemiology average twice a week, and clinical correlations is a weekly lecture.

As for labs, we have an official anatomy dissection lab three times per week, and parasit and micro once per week. Epidemiology labs seem to occur about every other week. Anatomy and parasit labs run about 3 hours, while the others are an average of 2 hours.

I have to say I am mystified at how so many of you are claiming vet school isn't hard. I was a very good student in undergrad and by any standardized measure I am considered intelligent, yet I am finding vet school rather difficult. It's not the complexity of the material, but the volume blew me away first semester. In undergrad I rarely studied, yet got A's. I could cram for a test, while that just won't work in vet school.

I have gotten into more of a rhythm this semester, but I still think I spend an average of 3-4 hours daily studying in order to keep up and I never feel caught up.

So while it is not super hard, I would not say it is easy, or in any way comparable to undergrad. Of course, I do have a family, so vet school is just one of many things I juggle. Maybe that makes the difference.

I have felt more stressed in vet school as far as studying than I ever have in my life. But I've never felt overwhelmed. I have felt, in general, very supported by the faculty and staff as well as my fellow students. It is 100% doable, but it will be, overall, the most difficult academic experience of your life, and there is really nothing you can do to prepare for it. The best thing you can do is take some time off this summer, so you feel fresh when you start.

Thanks to everyone that replied so far!!

Many people tell me to make sure to take time this summer to refresh, but how long should I actually take? I am currently working full time and will be taking 1 spring class (online) in May and June. I was thinking I would quit the job sometime in June so I'd have July and part of August to relax. Any opinions??

i'm a 4th year... I've found vet school to be completely manageable... i bust my a$$ when i needed to, and partied when i had the chance. I found a nice balance.

2nd year, however, was by far the worst year - i think i had a major test pretty much every 2 weeks, sometimes twice a week... sometimes two in the same day. It was hell. 1st year was a breeze, and 3rd year was busy, but nothing like 2nd year.

All in all, i'd say its no more difficult than undergrad - maybe just more volume.

ditto... except im in the middle of that hellish 2nd year :cool:

Class M-F ~8-4 or 5

Semi-accurate... we go 9-5 almost every day (got out a bit earlier last year). I actually do very little or even nothing at all if we don't have a test coming up. When the test is coming up (which are generally Mondays), I'll spend all weekend studying, about 14 hours or so each on Saturday and Sunday. It really depends on your study habits and how much you need. It's worked pretty well for me, but I know other people wouldn't be able to function that way. And with rare exceptions, we don't have homework.

everyone tells you vet school is hard - but i never realized how hard it was going to be

I would describe it like this. But don't worry, it's not like this all the time. Some days are particularly overwhelming and I actually came home, cried, and said 'This is hard. I mean, I know they said it would be hard. But this is haaard.' I can't really describe what's different, or what hard means, but that you'll understand when you get there (unless you're one of the super smart kids :)).

I study more in a week of vet school than I studied in half a semester of undergrad. Whereas undergrad I could walk into tests without studying and pull a C or so, I would literally flunk (like 5% correct) without studying for a test in vet school. That said, I'm doing better in vet school than I did in undergrad (thus far, at least).

Some people do get by without studying... or taking notes. There are people in our class who spend most of their time not going to class and go out every weekend (and some other weeknights) and do better than me (and most of the class). Oh well.

Class M-F ~8-4 or 5

I have also heard that about med students but I feel like I don't get spoon-fed anything and I certainly know they work hard too. Different weeks have different study amounts and sometimes you feel like you have no life, other times you are so grateful for a week with only one or two things to do. I mean, don't get scared, classes are totally do-able, but it's just harder for some people more than others. Either way, you do get stressed out alot and I have certainly said that I hated vet school at times and that I didn't know what I was doing and even thought I may be one of the dumbest people in our class sometimes, but everyone has the same problems in different areas. Expect to study some every day, but I definitely think that if you feel like you can't study anymore, then take a day off... I still make time to spend with my boyfriend (if you don't it can ruin your relationship) and go out with my friends once or twice a week. Vet school can be the best time of your life (it is certainly the best time I've ever had, even in the midst of all the work), so just don't forget how exciting it is that you're finally here now. If you need ideas for taking a break and getting away from it next year, find me in the halls and I'll point you in a good direction :)

I have to say I am mystified at how so many of you are claiming vet school isn't hard.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way! Maybe it's just because I, too, am experiencing the hellish second year, but I can't remember a time when I thought, "Bah, this vet school thing it's so bad." I try to relax and take breaks, but the majority of extra-curricular activities that I enjoyed in undergrad were shelves as soon as vet school started. I won't say that I never take a night off here or there, but it means getting farther behind than I usually am. I'm never really "caught up", and am generally studying or procrastinating studying.

Everyone adapts to the workload, and it is manageable- but I definitely wouldn't call it comparable to undergrad.

But it is definately not impossible and can be enjoyable (as enjoyable as 6 exams in 4 weeks can be). Good luck and don't forget to enjoy life!

Umm... To end last quarter we had 8 in 10 days. THAT was unpleasant.

Yeah, I know. It's hard. But I am trying to prepare myself for this fall.

I imagine it's like finals week during undergrad, but just 100% of the time. Will I have some free time? Do you ever get to relax? Do you go to school 8-5 then study til midnight then get up and do it all over again? Someone just give me an idea. When I went on my tour to MSU the student guide was like "Well, I don't think vet school is hard at all. I have a lot of free time." And I found that somewhat ridiculous sounding.

Any current vet students - what is your general schedule? Any help would be great and appreciated!! :D

I am a third year now(but only for another month!), but I've had time during school to commute back and forth to Houston every weekend(~90 miles each way), as well as having a job at school and in Houston, at a clinic, and now I have a 3 month old baby. My GPA is a 3.5, after all of that. But, I've had a complete personality change due to stress for the last 3 years that has strained some of my personal relationships. My point is, that you can do what you have to do, and you may be surprised at the results. Vet school is absolutely possible, given proper time management.

Surely they were mucking with y'all. I mean, ha ha ha, "I don't have to study much at all"? It's hard, there is lots of studying, but there is some free time. I mean, come on. It's vet school-of course there is going to be lots of work to do.

I'm generally on campus from say 9 to 6, with breaks (I just don't go home during breaks because I live fairly far from campus) then I study for a couple more hours. I find it easier to do it this way than to 'enjoy' all my free time and then OH CRAP, PHARM/PATH/PHYSIO is next week and become a zombie trying to cram it all in.

Umm... To end last quarter we had 8 in 10 days. THAT was unpleasant.

Don't you just LOVE it when they give you two on one day, none on the next, two on the third, then none, then two....