So how would i plan out opening my own pharmacy etc..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wow Strong Armz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am like 20 but it is my dream just to own my buisness, i know i'll need to start in a small town with no CVS/ Walgreens but what books etc.. should i read up. I want to start young and not wait tilll i am 45 to start this.

Members don't see this ad.

i am like 20 but it is my dream just to own my buisness, i know i'll need to start in a small town with no CVS/ Walgreens but what books etc.. should i read up. I want to start young and not wait tilll i am 45 to start this.

eh...like... go to pharmacy school first...then work at a retail pharmacy to learn the business first..u know?

This is also a dream of mine. I would suggest to focus on working in an independant pharmacy for a few years and then buying into the business as partners, then perhaps being the sole owner. I have seen several other pharmaicsts do this. It is easier to own an established business than to start from the ground up. However, it can be done to start from scratch...I have also seen a very successful pharmacist do this. The problem with this approach is that you must have a lot of money behind you. There are more owners than you would think that would consider selling to a young pharmacist. Focus on this in pharmacy school, Learn the business side of things, that is what is important. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
eh...like... go to pharmacy school first...then work at a retail pharmacy to learn the business first..u know?
ya i know that DuH :p, but i have no prior experience and i just want to get a bit of exposure in buisness side like reading books etc...

Find an independent owner who wants to sell in a few years.
Work for a reduced salary for 5 or so years. What you don't get in salary becomes equity in the business.
When you have sufficent equity you can get a loan to purchase the rest of the business and you will be the owner.

A guy I know is buying a compounding pharmacy this way.

Step 1: Work in a pharmacy first to make sure this is absolutely something you want to devote your life to.

Also, you may want to check out the webpage for the National Community Pharmacists Association: www.ncpanet.org
They have information about pharmacy ownership and management.
Good luck!

(PS..when you become a pharmacy student, this would be a great organization for you to get involved with. I believe one of their activities is a national student business plan competition so you would be able to practice your skills and perhaps further develop your plans..)

1. cut a hole in the box

2. put your junk in that box

3. make her open the box

and that's the way you do it.

Shoot I wouldn't mind. It's a gift real special.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather have the cupcake than your d*ck in a box.

2 no 6 no 12 baker's dozen. You know I'm crazy about those cupcakes, cousin.

I'd rather have the cupcake than your d*ck in a box.

2 no 6 no 12 baker's dozen. You know I'm crazy about those cupcakes, cousin.
in that case... how bout seeing the chronicals of narina?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkFW1gjeL8[/YOUTUBE]

Boy this thread degenerated. The future of the profession..right here on the internet.

To answer the person's question...how about a niche? Right now, you have to compete with the stores that maintain a million dollar plus inventory and can dispense drugs in 30 minutes. Inventory will be your problem from a cost perspective. You can't charge for counselling or disease state management yet (in some cases one can). So, you need something that will get people to come into the store.

How about:

Phil's Phantom Phountain Pharmacy (and no your name does not have to be Phil)

Set your pharmacy up in the back and have a stainless steel soda fountain and candy shop with the black and white checkered floor. The pharmacists make the sodas and your cook makes the lunch. You would need to dress circa 1950s. Locate yourself in a business district where you can get a good lunch crowd and after work crowd. Think of it as a Johnny Rockets with a pharmacy in the rear.

Yeah...a Johnny Rockets with cupcakes.

boy...the elders or rather "leaders" of our profession need to remove the proverbial stick out of their ass and realize the posts above are purely entertainment

People (including potential employers) read things like this. Anoynimity is not guaranteed, especially in this small profession. It isn't too hard to figure out who is who. That proverbial stick has teetch and could come back to bite people later on in their careers.

People (including potential employers) read things like this. Anoynimity is not guaranteed, especially in this small profession. It isn't too hard to figure out who is who. That proverbial stick has teetch and could come back to bite people later on in their careers.

As a pharmacist in position of hiring many other pharmacists, I would hire pharmacists like Caverject who at least has a sense of humor and a wit about our profession.

As a pharmacist in position of hiring many other pharmacists, I would hire pharmacists like Caverject who at least has a sense of humor and a wit about our profession.

:thumbup:

And...what else is there to say to someone who is 20, not a pharmacist & is just dreaming?

I think its all been said....and, yeah, I do believe this is a small pond...but there are separate ponds. I'm not swimming in the same one as small business (at least pharmacy small business) owners nor will I likely be worried about getting hired in FL or TX (especially TX:D ) so I don't think Caverject nor GatorGirl is in any trouble since they may have similar thoughts.

It would be very weird indeed if an employer pursued this forum that deeply to find out about us!!!

I agree with Caverject for probably the first time in my life. Entertainment is essential in any profession.

My future employers love my sense of humor. Furthermore, when I am working or at school I am 100% professional. So I agree with Caverject for probably the first time in my life. Entertainment is essential in any profession.

I don't find you very funny......

j/k.:smuggrin:

1. Ambitious 20 year old posts pharmacy-related question on appropriate and unique forum dedicated to the noble profession of pharmacy.

2. Ambitious 20 year old is patronized by omniscient pharmacy student.

3. Thread is hijacked by other pharmacy students posting completely irrelevant and juvenile material.

4. Practicing pharmacist thoughtfully addresses question originally posted by ambitious 20 year old, offering insight into the prospect of opening a pharmacy while noting that some pharmacy students have degenerated thread by posting completely irrelevant and juvenile material.

5. Disrespectful and immature pharmacy student insults and ridicules observant practicing pharmacist.

6. Combative and omniscient pharmacy student deems that practicing pharmacist who observed completely irrelevant and juvenile material is devoid of sense of humor, silmultaneously injecting his own sense of detached and childish humor by denying prospective job opportunity to current practicing pharmacist.

7. Perplexed P1 with great sense of humor posts summary of aforementioned thread, awaits responses from disrespectful and juvenile pharmacy students...

1. Ambitious 20 year old posts pharmacy-related question on appropriate and unique forum dedicated to the noble profession of pharmacy.

3. Thread is hijacked by other pharmacy students posting completely irrelevant and juvenile material.

4. Practicing pharmacist thoughtfully addresses question originally posted by ambitious 20 year old, offering insight into the prospect of opening a pharmacy while noting that some pharmacy students have degenerated thread by posting completely irrelevant and juvenile material.

5. Disrespectful and immature pharmacy student insults and ridicules observant practicing pharmacist.

6. Combative and omniscient pharmacy student deems that practicing pharmacist who observed completely irrelevant and juvenile material is devoid of sense of humor, silmultaneously injecting his own sense of detached and childish humor by denying prospective job opportunity to current practicing pharmacist.

7. Perplexed P1 with great sense of humor posts summary of aforementioned thread, awaits responses from disrespectful and juvenile pharmacy students...

The perplexed P1 shall understand the culture of online forum is more than a straightforward information source...more than one way to skin a cat..if you're into that sort of thing.

Threadjacking is a part of online forum life. The perplexed one should posess ability to filter through a thread and understand all work and no play make one a boring person. Inject some humor and tangent to an otherwise boring pharmacology presentation and you'll grasp the audience attention.
:smuggrin:

Can someone refresh me on the original question???

And....since you're not the 20 yo ambitious pharmacy student...are you the "other disprespectful pharmacy student" or are you the "practicing disrespectful pharmacy student" or are you the comabatitive & obmniscient pharmacy student (gsoh - these are really big words!!!) or...could you by chance be the perplexed P1 with the great sense of humor?

I am not a disrespectful nor juvenile pharmacy student.....so I guess I have nothing more to offer....

However...good to know you've fit us all into "boxes".

But....I'd agree with Zpak - its a slow time....humor is good for otherwise boring threads with no good answers.

Sorry:p

Can someone refresh me on the original question???

And....since you're not the 20 yo ambitious pharmacy student...are you the "other disprespectful pharmacy student" or are you the "practicing disrespectful pharmacy student" or are you the comabatitive & obmniscient pharmacy student (gsoh - these are really big words!!!) or...could you by chance be the perplexed P1 with the great sense of humor?

I am not a disrespectful nor juvenile pharmacy student.....so I guess I have nothing more to offer....

However...good to know you've fit us all into "boxes".

But....I'd agree with Zpak - its a slow time....humor is good for otherwise boring threads with no good answers.

Sorry:p

Thelonius is the "perplexed P1"
The original poster is the young 20 year old with the question.
Disrespectful Pharmacy student is Caverject
Obervant Practicing Pharmacist is the Anonfaculty.

Aaaahhh - thank you so much! Now I have the cast clearly understood, I can get on with the libretto.....

Proceed....where were we? Act II Scene ?????

me disrepectful??? That's gaytorRXgal not me by a long shot +pity+ +pity+

Just because your precious hurricanes are only known for fighting instead of football skills...gosh.

I'm kind of offended I wasn't in the original cast. I'll just be Caverject's understudy since I too am unprofessional or something.

I lost my gnome again. HELP!