So..is this Science Internship really worth it?

desi0chick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be attending college this fall of 2010 and just graduated high school. (yay!) I was honored to get a seat for an internship opportunity at the a summer science internship in NYC. I've heard of its many accomplishments and know that this would provide an amazing opportunity for me to engage in further research, especially in the field of medicine. The problem however is that unlike previous years, there won't be any stipend moreover, i'd have to pay $500 out of my own pocket :[ Now, considering my parents need to finance for a few college expenses and knowing that one parent may be laid off, $500 seems alot too. The problem is that this agency is somewhat well known in the city and those who work hard in the end get a substantial reward (Posse scholarship nominations..etc). Also, I really don't have anything else to do for summer. I've applied many places for a job, but in this tough economy, I can't seem to get a job either. (Sorry for the long post, but if you were in my position, would you go for it?) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How about NIH summer intership, they pay about $2000 to undergrads and they are well known throughout the country not just NY.

EN

^ wish I had known about that earlier, it's too late to apply now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too late to apply for current summer, but summer 2011 application opens in November and ends in March. If you apply early in November it will be easy to get a position.

EN

if you feel like it would better your studies in become a doctor go for it.. get a job :thumbup: