so many people are getting above AA 22... should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist32721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I took DAT and I got AA 21 and TS 20.
But when I am reading bunch of threads here,
so many people are getting 22, 23, and even 24 and higher.

What do you guys think about my DAT scores?
My oGPA is 3.67 and sGPA is 3.62
Do you recommend to re-take DAT?
My dream schools are NYU and Tufts.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about those 22+ scores. Those people are likely to be outliers.
SDN represents only very small population of entire DAT takers.
21AA 20TS is an awesome score along with your GPA.
You should definitely get some interviews!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you buy or look at Doc's spreadsheet of the ADEA guide before asking something like this? Think about who would actually post their scores on SDN, likely people who want to show their awesome scores to others. Most of the school's incoming class Doc posted in the spreadsheet has an average of 19-21AA which would indicate a 22 and up is not typical. Please redefine "so many people" relative to all test takers. Just spend a few minutes looking at the spreadsheet and you should have your answer. Good luck.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-guide-to-dental-school-admission.942453/

Reactions: 5 users
Keep in mind very often people with scores of 19 or lower aren't exactly boasting about their scores on SDN so you'll see lots of posts in the DAT discussions that make it seem like the average DAT score is 23 now. I remember feeling like this exactly a year ago ago when I was applying and was afraid I needed to retake possibly. However, meeting so many different predents this past year, it seemed that barely 1/3 had either heard of or used SDN as a resource and I met plenty that have had scores of 19 or lower.

If you look at trends using Doc toothache's resources the average AA hasn't quite changed much in the last 7 years. In my opinion, I think 20 or 21 AA is a great score, especially with a 3.5 GPA or higher. It seems most schools' average DAT falls around 19-21, depending on the school (obviously schools like UCLA will be higher).

Last edited:
Mean score last year was 19.9, anything above that, with a respectable GPA, which you have, is fine as long as you have the shadow/volunteer hours and good LOR's and PS,

Hey guys,

Thanks.

definitely retake. Those scores are kind of low now adays...

Others have touched on this, but you're actually getting a really small sample of dental school applicants and DAT-takers from the people who post on SDN. Your score is great, and you should be proud of it. I think you will be fine, honestly!

Reactions: 1 user
Historically on SDN, you see very high scores posted. The numbers I've been seeing this year are actually lower than what I've seen in past years. Definitely do not retake. If your app is already completed or if it will be completed in the next couple of weeks, you will definitely get interviews.

I feel weird being considered an outlier...

But no you're fine, you did great and you'll get quite a couple of interviews. Don't be intimidiated by these high scores you see on SDN. This site will be heavily biased towards those individuals because they're the ones who would more than likely make a breakdown after their accomplishment. It doesn't make much sense for someone who did poorly to post a breakdown right? That's why you don't see low scores often talked about.

definitely retake. Those scores are kind of low now adays...
I cannot tell if you are serious or not but if you are then please keep the misguided comments to yourself to save OP money and time. I was also in the military and find your advice not very sound and moreover unsupported. I hope as a commissioned officer you do not misguide junior enlistees because I've served under too many incompetent officers.

Hey guys,

Thanks.
I think your DAT score is slightly below average for NYU. As long as you are not aiming for higher-end dental schools, I don't think you need to retake. I'd also describe your score as decent but not great.

your scores are right on with both schools and your gpa is about .2 pts higher. what are your break down scores like? i think you're good.

I cannot tell if you are serious or not but if you are then please keep the misguided comments to yourself to save OP money and time. I was also in the military and find your advice not very sound and moreover unsupported. I hope as a commissioned officer you do not misguide junior enlistees because I've served under too many incompetent officers.

I was being sarcastic :)

IDK how anyone makes it through the cycle without an AA of 24 or better

You're fine! Remember, like many others have stated, SDN students are only a FRACTION of the people who take the test...there's like 13k people who take the DAT...obviously only those who do well post their scores here. You gotta keep that in mind! Best of luck in the cycle :)

Your scores are very good! I have seen high scores on SDN but out of all the other predents I have talked to at school none have gotten an AA above a 19.

aa.png

Reactions: 3 users