So Many Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnAppleADay

Red Delicious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see so many people posting on the post-bacc forum! Makes me feel like I'm not so alone.

Anyway, I was looking for some information regarding post-bacc programs. I think I'm pretty clear about the route I want to take (a formal post-bacc program seems to be the preferred route in the eyes of the adcomm), but I think my undergrad grades are so bad, it may be tough to even get into a good post-bacc program! I was not a science major, and my GPA was ~2.8. :( There are several programs that sound great, but one of their requirements is 'educationally disadvantaged.' Anyone know what this means? Afterall, if you've got a B.A., how "disadvantaged" can you really be?

Also, does anyone have any experience with any programs in SoCal? (UCI, UCLA, UCSD, USC, Scripps, SMC, etc.) How about advice regarding do-it-yourself programs to boost the ol' GPA so I can get into a post-bacc?

Phew! I think that's!

Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

hi AnAppleADay!

i don't have any experience with the so cali programs but i think you should really email the programs at usc, scripps, and chapman. the advisers are all really helpful and they steered me in the right direction. most of the programs are for ppl who don't have many science classes so that's a bonus for you! me, i have too many though i wasn't a bio major and plus my other problem is that they are all like 8 years old.

this summer i took genetics at uci so i could get a letter of recommendation to apply to a post bacc. i believe the program at uci is for disadvantaged minorities ...

how long has it been since you graduated and what have you been doing?

i hope i helped.. if you have anymore questions i'll be more than happy to help ya out! :D

al

Originally posted by harrypotter
hi AnAppleADay!

i don't have any experience with the so cali programs but i think you should really email the programs at usc, scripps, and chapman. the advisers are all really helpful and they steered me in the right direction. most of the programs are for ppl who don't have many science classes so that's a bonus for you! me, i have too many though i wasn't a bio major and plus my other problem is that they are all like 8 years old.

this summer i took genetics at uci so i could get a letter of recommendation to apply to a post bacc. i believe the program at uci is for disadvantaged minorities ...

how long has it been since you graduated and what have you been doing?

i hope i helped.. if you have anymore questions i'll be more than happy to help ya out! :D

al

Hi Al,
Thanks for your response. I will email those schools and see if someone can steer me in the right direction.

It has been a few years since I graduated. During that time I've been working full time and have been working on a masters (all psych related). I'll be done in a year, hopefully with a 3.8. But, apparently a masters doesn't mean much.

Have you applied to a bost-bacc yet?

hi AnAppleADay! :)

good job on your masters! sounds as if you are doing really well! i'm applying to just four schools: duquesne, upenn, tufts, uconn. i really am hoping for duq and tufts so i'm keeping my fingers crossed... just waiting for my prof to write back so i can ask her for a recommendation letter...argh! :D

hope the advisors have good news for ya! :clap:

al