So...Organic 2??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AniSci

AniSci
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior (I'll be graduating a semester late, so in December of 2015), currently with a 3.91 GPA, and in my second semester of Organic (so organic 2). I've been struggling this semester with having enough time to do everything as well as I possibly can---it just so happens that ALL of my exams in all of my classes ALWAYS fall within the same week (sometimes, when I'm really lucky, on the same day -_-) of one another.

I'm taking organic 2, animal nutrition, a disease/health management class, and a senior-level dairy management class.

But I digress, and I'll cut to the chase: what happens if I, you know, don't do so well in organic 2? It's not like it's "normal" to do as well as an A for most people; most people complain about getting Cs.

But what does it look like to vet schools when you apply?

I've made all As (and one B+ in reproduction & lactation anatomy/physiology) in all of my classes for my entire college career so far (even in organic 1). Would vet schools really look down upon a particularly lousy grade, even if I had a reasonable explanation for why I didn't do as well as I should've?

My sister is a dentist, got a D in organic 2 (on top of taking physics, genetics, and calculus at the same time...), got into dental school, and graduated in the top 5% of her class. So maybe, if there was hope for her, there's hope for me...? Hopefully?

I'm just so stressed out as it is; I hate not doing as well as I could be---even my "easy A" classes aren't as "easily As" as they could be because I'm having to constantly stretch myself so thin between everything. I know it's not unusual in science-based undergrad programs, and it's definitely going to become the norm in vet school (provided I get in...), but it's still not really any easier to deal with. -_-

Members don't see this ad.

You are freaking out way too much. A single C or D in the midst of a sea of As is not going to do anything if you have a strong gpa and are a strong applicant. The only problem that would arise is if there is a requirement to get a certain grade or above on a prereq course, which some schools do have.

Reactions: 1 users
You are freaking out way too much. A single C or D in the midst of a sea of As is not going to do anything if you have a strong gpa and are a strong applicant. The only problem that would arise is if there is a requirement to get a certain grade or above on a prereq course, which some schools do have.

This alone makes me feel a little better. :) I do know I tend to worry way too much about...everything. None of the schools I'll be applying to have any set grades, at least none that I've seen while weeding through the fine print. Maybe there's even finer print, though... O_O

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a senior (I'll be graduating a semester late, so in December of 2015), currently with a 3.91 GPA, and in my second semester of Organic (so organic 2). I've been struggling this semester with having enough time to do everything as well as I possibly can---it just so happens that ALL of my exams in all of my classes ALWAYS fall within the same week (sometimes, when I'm really lucky, on the same day -_-) of one another.

I'm taking organic 2, animal nutrition, a disease/health management class, and a senior-level dairy management class.

But I digress, and I'll cut to the chase: what happens if I, you know, don't do so well in organic 2? It's not like it's "normal" to do as well as an A for most people; most people complain about getting Cs.

I've made all As (and one B+ in reproduction & lactation anatomy/physiology) in all of my classes for my entire college career so far (even in organic 1). Would vet schools really look down upon a particularly lousy grade, even if I had a reasonable explanation for why I didn't do as well as I should've?

My sister is a dentist, got a D in organic 2 (on top of taking physics, genetics, and calculus at the same time...), got into dental school, and graduated in the top 5% of her class. So maybe, if there was hope for her, there's hope for me...? Hopefully?

I'm just so stressed out as it is; I hate not doing as well as I could be---even my "easy A" classes aren't as "easily As" as they could be because I'm having to constantly stretch myself so thin between everything. I know it's not unusual in science-based undergrad programs, and it's definitely going to become the norm in vet school (provided I get in...), but it's still not really any easier to deal with. -_-
Take a deep breath. You have a 3.9 gpa. Check the schools you plan on applying to and see if they have require that you get a certain grade. Most of the time that grade is a C, and that isn't going to change your gpa much. Plenty of people get in with C's. I haven't gotten in yet of course since I just applied this cycle, but I have a C and a C+ on my transcript.
Bottom line: You will be fine.

I had a C, a withdrawal, a drop to only 10 credits my last semester of senior year and a rather decent DOWNWARD trend in grades from freshman to senior year (vet schools like to see an upward trend). I still got in. Breathe, relax. You should be fine.

This alone makes me feel a little better. :) I do know I tend to worry way too much about...everything. None of the schools I'll be applying to have any set grades, at least none that I've seen while weeding through the fine print. Maybe there's even finer print, though... O_O

Yes, you do ;) you really need to work on that before vet school if you get in/choose to attend.

I'll tell you a secret. At some point, you will fail in vet school. Whether it be failing an exam, being terrible at a certain clinical skill, whatever....there will be times when you fail. Most of the people going to vet school have always been at the top of their game, so these failures hit even harder because they aren't used to it. Once you accept the fact that there will be times that you fail (and it is okay as long as you learn from it!) that's the first step to success.

Example (this is not to toot a horn, this is to make a point): I'm got into a very competitive residency in arguably one of the hardest specialties in vet med. I'm now in an even more competitive fellowship in a high profile lab. On the surface, I seem like a badass who had never failed. But you know what? I got a D- in my second semester of anatomy in vet school. One point away from failing the class and having to repeat the year. I almost withdrew in third year because I hated surgery and was awful at it. To this day, I am terrible, I mean terrible, at jugular sticks, something pretty much every vet on earth does like second nature. Can't hit the broad side of a barn. But I accepted the things I failed at and did not let them turn me into a big ever-growing snowball rolling down a hill of disappointment and hate. I focused on what I was good at and excelled there.

Reactions: 9 users
I'll tell you a secret. At some point, you will fail in vet school. Whether it be failing an exam, being terrible at a certain clinical skill, whatever....there will be times when you fail.

You will???!! :eek:

Only kidding, WTF is right. I failed an exam first year of vet school... only difference is that where I went to school, that was the ONLY exam for the class... so I had to retake the exam during the summer knowing that if I failed again, I would have to repeat the class.. I survived and didn't have to repeat, but it happens... to everyone. At some point.

Members don't see this ad :)
tm5ch9.gif

Reactions: 1 user

You really should get a A++ in ochem 2 to be a competitive applicant. If your undergrad doesn't offer A++ as a grade, I would recommend finding a new school. Even if your school offers an A+, that's just not going to cut it.

(In case it's not obvious, I'm kidding.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You really should get a A++ in ochem 2 to be a competitive applicant. If your undergrad doesn't offer A++ as a grade, I would recommend finding a new school. Even if your school offers an A+, that's just not going to cut it.

(In case it's not obvious, I'm kidding.)
At least put the disclaimer in a really light and difficult to see color :p

At least put the disclaimer in a really light and difficult to see color :p
Happy?

But what if a pre-vet thinks I'm serious, and they search all over and find some school that actually offers A++, and then they move to a different state to take it at that school? :eek: I would feel bad...

Reactions: 1 user
Happy?

But what if a pre-vet thinks I'm serious, and they search all over and find some school that actually offers A++, and then they move to a different state to take it at that school? :eek: I would feel bad...
Yes :D

If they can find a school that offers an A++, more power to them :laugh: