So say I wanted to go into radiation oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ttan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my third year, I broke 250 on step 1, and I'm in a non-top tier, non-research heavy US MD medical school. And I might be interested in oncological sciences. On that list is radiation oncology.

My research is limited. 3 years of undergrad experience with nothing to show (no abstracts or publications). I was doing other fun things with my undergrad time... I had a poster presentation during summer off with research before 2nd year but that's it.

Say I aced third year. Does anyone have input for how I could then get into Radiation Oncology? I'm not too keen to taking a year off to do research. Is that a make or break?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's obviously better to have research but you don't necessarily need it if everything else in your app and your personality are great (from my personal experience).

I didn't have any but did three away rotations and I think I killed them. I matched at one of these places. Your key will be doing well at feasible non-research giant away rotations by showing interest, being helpful, and doing the best you can. Trying to write something up on always is extremely difficult but you could maybe get something depending on where you go.

Good luck.

I had a similar application to yours and I did end up matching. If you want to match at a "top-tier" institution then you'll likely have to take a year off to do research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had worse app than yours. Started research in 4th year. Got into a very nice, research heavy program. Let your letters of rec do the talking about the interest in your field if you don't have a long track record in the field. Start research now, you have plenty of time to get stuff out.

I would strongly try and get a rad-onc based research project. Even a simple quick project that is just 'submitted' at the time of applications can really strengthen your application.