"So... what did you do over summer?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorOrdinary

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking through several medical school checklists, and alongside some of the vital points such as GPA and MCAT was "what you did over summer."

For those who are now applying to medical school or have already gotten in/attending, what is your idea of a "proper" summer?

I am currently a rising sophomore at an undergraduate state university. I have a cGPA 3.96 and sGPA 4.00.Throughout my freshman year, I received 40 hours of shadowing (geriatrics), received a board position for PIH Engage, and founded a chapter of a nonprofit organization in the city of my school. I also landed a research position for my sophomore year.

My summer so far will be consisting of an online course (medical terminology), shadowing, and possibly EMT-B certification. Non med stuff will include running my nonprofit organization, and reading several books here and there.

My goal is to be competitive enough for undergraduate medical programs such as UF JHMP and SUNY ROSE. If I end up not applying or getting rejected by them, I'll apply to schools after I receive a reasonable MCAT score.

To be a competitive applicant requires a busy summer. What do you guys think about my summer schedule? What activities would you guys recommend I add or delete?

Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Volunteer (clinical/ non clinical) when you can. It looks good other than that. Also, take a break. Relax. Breath. I hear you in this post, and you sound stressed or at least anxious. Take a weekend, hit the beach or something. You are doing great! (I'm no expert, but yeah... take it as you might.)

Reactions: 1 users
Just be yourself!

For example, given the amazing amount of free-time summer provides, I'm violently resisting the urge to binge drink, get high and inevitably do something stupid as I futilely try to make up for all the time already lost to this process.

I kid.

Mostly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteer (clinical/ non clinical) when you can. It looks good other than that. Also, take a break. Relax. Breath. I hear you in this post, and you sound stressed or at least anxious. Take a weekend, hit the beach or something. You are doing great! (I'm no expert, but yeah... take it as you might.)

I appreciate this man! Definitely will look into volunteering, and chilling out a little lol

Reactions: 1 user
Just be yourself!

For example, given the amazing amount of free-time summer provides, I'm violently resisting the urge to binge drink, get high and inevitably do something stupid as I futilely try to make up for all the time already lost to this process.

I kid.

Mostly.

LOL

will definitely look into "being myself" this summer #AmIEvenMyself

Smoke
Weed
Every
Damn
Day
:cigar:

Reactions: 1 user
My summer so far will be consisting of an online course (medical terminology), shadowing, and possibly EMT-B certification. Non med stuff will include running my religious organization, and reading several books here and there.

It looks like you already have your answer. Mixing in a little more volunteering won't hurt.

Also enjoy yourself. You don't have many summers off left.