So what's the general concensus on studying ochem rxns.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ag9124

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems pretty low yield to go in and memorize rxn after rxn. I guess what I am asking is..what's the best way to approach this without losing your mind?

Members don't see this ad.

Understand the general way in which reactions work. That is, the way mechanisms proceed. With practice it seems fully possible to be able to work through the reaction in the moment or at least come up with reasonable mechanisms.

I wouldn't memorize the reactions that seem obvious to you, but I would spend more time on the ones that seem less straightforward.

As you said, though, there simply isn't enough organic chemistry on the exam to warrant memorizing all of the reactions perfectly in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
It all depends on if you are aiming for the 32 (equivalent) or the 40 (equivalent).

I would cover everything on the outline (and more) if your plan is to score as high as possible. If that is not feasible, then I agree that some more obscure reactions are good low-yield topics to cut.

It seems pretty low yield to go in and memorize rxn after rxn. I guess what I am asking is..what's the best way to approach this without losing your mind?

Based on this---> http://nextsteptestprep.com/2014/08/21/what-you-actually-need-to-study-for-the-new-mcat/

ochem makes up a total of 11 or 12 questions on the entire exam. In addition, those 11 or 12 questions are split unevenly between two sections, therefore reducing the likelihood that they are really going to make a big difference in your overall score. Interpret that how you want, but I am definitely not going to bother memorizing all the reactions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on this---> http://nextsteptestprep.com/2014/08/21/what-you-actually-need-to-study-for-the-new-mcat/

ochem makes up a total of 11 or 12 questions on the entire exam. In addition, those 11 or 12 questions are split unevenly between two sections, therefore reducing the likelihood that they are really going to make a big difference in your overall score. Interpret that how you want, but I am definitely not going to bother memorizing all the reactions.

I feel the same way about physics.

I totally agree with this. I've taken FL practice exams and O Chem content is very slim.

I feel the same way about physics.

yeh, I feel like my previous physics studying for old mcat is almost enough with just some refresher. Its crazy how little physics/ochem are on this new mcat as compared to the old mcat.

im just memorizing nomenclature, basic ochem principles (nucleophiles/electrophiles) etc. I think the bulk of ochem will be asked relating to biochem, so its more worthwhile spending your time working on biochem than orgo IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
E1/E2 and Sn1/Sn2 rxns are always popular, just generally know which is more common in what solvent/bulky nucleophile/whatever

Know oxidizing/reducing agents, maybe Markovnikov rxn or anti-Markovnikov rxns, nomenclature (easily). I wouldn't stress to much on it, it wasn't super prevalent on the old MCAT and even that is being downplayed for MCAT 2015

Better off doing every Orgo passage you can find. Assuming you did decent in ur Orgo 1 and 2 classes

Ya gotta understand the acid and base chemistry behind the reactions. My TA always drills us on this, and tells us too pay attention to where the electrons are and where they're not. Can't memorize mechanisms in my class because the prof invents new functional groups all the time! :banana:

It would be more beneficial to memorize reaction trends... what's a good nucleophile, what's a good electrophile, etc.. That will gain you more points than memorizing specific reactions.

For example, it's a good idea to memorize that a alpha carbon is acidic, and can lose a proton as it is stabilized by resonance, which allows certain reaction to happen.. such as the Michael reaction.

Memorizing the Michael reaction is not time efficient, and you'll probably forget it. However, remembering the alpha carbon can lose its proton and become a carbanion is a good idea.

Well, no one except AAMC has ever seen the test so TPR is just guessing. I think it is a mistake not to cover EVERYTHING on the outline, but I guess that's just me.

If, in fact, there will be almost no physics or ochem as everyone on these forums seems to believe and if "why bother to study psych" then why prepare for the test at all? I should be able to take it right now and get a top score because my biology and biochemistry knowledge is near perfect and I previously scored very high on the old verbal practice tests. I did well in ochem but I struggle with physics. So no physics then no problem, right?

I dont agree. I have come across AAMC question that asked for pressure-volume work within the heart (as in its harder). Physics and ochem and gen chem arent gone-Theyre different.

Ill be covering everything on the outline!