so why do i want to be an optometrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemgirl35

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i find it fascinating, the biology , the chemistry and how it all relates to the human body. amazing. only what am i going to write in my personal statement why i want to be or what am i going to tell them if i get an interview? that's my reason. i think it sounds like bs but it's the truth. so then what am i supposed to say? i'm the first person in my family to even go to college , no one in my family was an optometrist...etc.

Members don't see this ad.

i find it fascinating, the biology , the chemistry and how it all relates to the human body. amazing. only what am i going to write in my personal statement why i want to be or what am i going to tell them if i get an interview? that's my reason. i think it sounds like bs but it's the truth. so then what am i supposed to say? i'm the first person in my family to even go to college , no one in my family was an optometrist...etc.

Well, if that's the reason, then write that it is. But, perhaps you should do some observation so that you can more fully flesh out why you are attracted to the field. It would give you more to write about. You really need to think though, because any adcom is going to ask why not dent, pharm, med, etc. because those all related to the human body.

Time for some hard thinking...

how would i go about shadowing an OD for a few days? just go to places and ask if i could shadow them?

Members don't see this ad :)
how would i go about shadowing an OD for a few days? just go to places and ask if i could shadow them?

Yes. If you have an optometrist that you've gone to before, start there. Otherwise, just call up and ask to speak to the office manager. Tell them that you are in the process of applying to optometry school and would love the chance to shadow Dr. ____ for a day or two. It may take a few calls, but you should be able to find someone willing to help you out!

Good luck!

PGE

Yes. If you have an optometrist that you've gone to before, start there. Otherwise, just call up and ask to speak to the office manager. Tell them that you are in the process of applying to optometry school and would love the chance to shadow Dr. ____ for a day or two. It may take a few calls, but you should be able to find someone willing to help you out!

Good luck!

PGE

For a day or two? Shouldnt we be shadowing docs for a longer time period? say a couple months? just curious...

For a day or two? Shouldnt we be shadowing docs for a longer time period? say a couple months? just curious...

If you are talking about the same doctor, I would say emphatically NO. In the majority of cases, it makes very little sense to shadow one particular office or doctor for more than a couple of days. You will get very little out of sitting there watching someone do exams. You are better off observing someone for a day or two and then having a lunch with that doctor and asking them some questions.

You can, of course, shadow a doctor for as long as you'd like. But, when you're asking... it would probably be better to ask for a short amount of time up front, and if you and the doctor later feel you can learn more by observing more, work it out then. If a student came up to me when I was a practicing doc and asked if they could shadow for a few months... I might run the other way! :laugh:;):p

As KHE alludes to, anything more than a few days with the same doctor isn't going to do you any good. Trying to do a day or two with several different doctors in different modes of practice (private - solo and group, VA, commercial, etc.) will give you a much more accurate representation of what the profession is actually like.

You can, of course, shadow a doctor for as long as you'd like. But, when you're asking... it would probably be better to ask for a short amount of time up front, and if you and the doctor later feel you can learn more by observing more, work it out then. If a student came up to me when I was a practicing doc and asked if they could shadow for a few months... I might run the other way! :laugh:;):p

As KHE alludes to, anything more than a few days with the same doctor isn't going to do you any good. Trying to do a day or two with several different doctors in different modes of practice (private - solo and group, VA, commercial, etc.) will give you a much more accurate representation of what the profession is actually like.

okay thanks so much, i guess i misunderstood shadowing...so this isnt like medicine where you would volunteer at a hospital for a couple months...

Also, how many optometrists does a pre opt student usually shadow? is there a required amount?

okay thanks so much, i guess i misunderstood shadowing...so this isnt like medicine where you would volunteer at a hospital for a couple months...

Also, how many optometrists does a pre opt student usually shadow? is there a required amount?

The amount of shadowing varies greatly. Some never shadow at all (eek!!!!) and some shadow for 100+ hours. Whether or not it is required depends on the school(s) you are applying to. I am at Pacific, and I believe we require 30 hours here. Other schools don't necessarily require any, but strongly encourage it. I recommend that you do as much as necessary so that you can make an informed decision about entering this field. That amount varies. For me, I shadowed somewhere around 40 hours and worked in a private practice for a year. I felt confident that this was the field for me based on what I saw.

I have worked in the optometry field for about 5 yrs. The first job with an OD I had was a franchise- very small practice. The 2nd I had was a large practice - MD's and OD's. The office I work in now is very medically oriented private practive and as a tech I do a lot for my doc. :) I have been with him for 2 1/2 yrs. Do you think it would be necessary for me to get some more experience with other doctors in other settings? Or is what I'm doing enough?

I've only worked with two doctors, both in the same practice. It's a franchise, very small. I went in with the intention to shadow but my OD offered me a paying job so I'm working instead of sitting in the exam rooms with them. A lot of people in my family see the doctors there so whenever they come in, I observe during their exams. Last summer I hardly worked at all since I was taking hardcore summer classes but this year I'm working about 30 hours a week. Everyone gets different amounts of experience. I definitely think there's an advantage to working/shadowing at different types of practices, so you get more of an idea of the profession, I just ended up not doing it that way.

My advice is to make sure that if you get a job, don't get a desk job. I've talked to a couple of OD school's who don't really consider that "experience" since you're just answering the phone and doing administrative work. Work in the optical shop, or do pretests, CL fitting, etc. They definitely like to see that you've learned things about the profession!

Don't go to optometry school. It is a complete waste of time.

Don't shadow a doctor. You will not learn anything.

I would try to speak to 20 different optometrists where I live and see what they think about going to optometry school. Most will not be to encouraging.

Read the optometrysucks discussion group on yahoo. Optometry has more problems than probably any other medical profession out there except chiropractic and podiatry.

I would try to speak to 20 different optometrists where I live and see what they think about going to optometry school. Most will not be to encouraging.

Read the optometrysucks discussion group on yahoo. Optometry has more problems than probably any other medical profession out there except chiropractic and podiatry.
When you see a post like this from someone who has a screen name like reconsider, you must take it with a grain of salt. You should question the motives of the poster. Do you think he cares about you? Do you think he is telling you this to protect you from the evils of optometry? I highly doubt it. This person doesn't know you or care about you. What he does know is that his practice is not as successful as he would like. What he does care about is his bottom line. In his mind, if he can convince people to stay away from our profession he will somehow become more successful because there will be less competition. It's pretty sad, actually. I can tell you from experience that the profession of optometry can be very rewarding. If any of you are near Seattle and would like to shadow a private practice doctor for an afternoon (any more than that can be very boring for you), feel free to PM me and we can set something up. If you are not near Seattle, but would still like to shadow a successful private practice doc, PM me anyway and I will help you find someone in your area.

Members don't see this ad :)

You know I really feel sorry for you.......:(

youre quite bitter. this post reflects it...how embarrassing for you.

I know this is kind of the slant for this thread but how much do optometrists really make? The BLS website says it is 100k [i doubt for new optometrists??]. I was told by the manager at Lenscrafters that the optometrists usually start around 70k which is less than the going rate for pharmacists.

I am not trying to sound greedy [lol] but I was just think it takes 4 years and the continuing education requirements are required plus the school is very expensive than pharmacy. I just want some security and not default on my loans and be able to live a good life.

I was told by the manager at Lenscrafters that the optometrists usually start around 70k.

I am not trying to sound greedy but I was just think it takes 4 years and the continuing education requirements are required plus the school is very expensive.

You have answered your own problem right there. If you cannot find it, you're pretty much out of luck, my friend.

What do you mean i am out of luck if i can't find it? There is no information from any optometrists about salary and stuff?

check out opted.org for optom info.

I have worked in the optometry field for about 5 yrs. The first job with an OD I had was a franchise- very small practice. The 2nd I had was a large practice - MD's and OD's. The office I work in now is very medically oriented private practive and as a tech I do a lot for my doc. :) I have been with him for 2 1/2 yrs. Do you think it would be necessary for me to get some more experience with other doctors in other settings? Or is what I'm doing enough?

I'm in the same boat. I feel that I should check out other practice modes ie VA, hospitalf for a day just to see what it feels like. Some of the optom schools mention that the time spent with OD's should be unpaid time, but I don't know how strict they are about that.

What do you mean i am out of luck if i can't find it? There is no information from any optometrists about salary and stuff?

Yes but I just mean that going into private practice is a much better idea than franchise practice (in my eyes, at least).

If you are talking about the same doctor, I would say emphatically NO. In the majority of cases, it makes very little sense to shadow one particular office or doctor for more than a couple of days. You will get very little out of sitting there watching someone do exams. You are better off observing someone for a day or two and then having a lunch with that doctor and asking them some questions.
I think this matters greatly on the office. I've been shadowing at a larger office that specializes in ocular pathology (mix of ODs and MDs) for quite some time now and I still feel like I'm learning new things every day. Granted I get to see a variety of things (pediatrics, glaucoma, cataracts, etc.) but if you find the right practice you'll learn a lot.

Yes but I just mean that going into private practice is a much better idea than franchise practice (in my eyes, at least).

But isn't private practice hard to get into especially when you are fresh out of school and have loans to pay :idea:

I think probably most of the optometrists end up going the professional route since who will go to a stand alone optometrist unless he/she has name recognition when you can go to lenscrafters and get the eye exam / prescription made in the same day. I mean I have nothing against you if you want to go into private practice but what I said is just common sense..

yup. private practice? go under sunyopt.edu or one of those schools that permit anyone to post and look at asking prices of private practices. around 400k. plus debt from o.d school, plus debt from undergrad. plus mortgage.

o.d. is not worth it.

and if the OP cannot find a valid reason for applying, reconsider.
ill tell the OP something--dont even bother for the $$. there are a TON of o.d.'s fleeing the field for a number of reason. esp private practioners. cant compete with walmart, at 39-49 per exam. there also are a huge number of o.d.s out there starving, lookign for any fill in, or looking for any sears, walmart, b.j.'s, etc. reason? private practice to purchase is too much $$. plus the revenue generated aint all that great.

thats why most docs have 2+ practices. 1 for bills, 1 for profit.

anothing thing:

write a list of reasons (valid ones) why you want to be an o.d., and then write a counter list why you do not want to be an o.d.

compare. make it a business decision, not a moral, personal one.

if its for $$, there are much easier and better ways to make $$.

its not bitterness. its reality. we are practicing in the field, my man, for the past 6+ years. THERE IS NO POT OF GOLD OUT THERE.

ill give you the honest, straight up truth:

if you work for someone, anyone, pay approximately ranges from around 250-400 per day. around. varies by location, by practice type, etc.

if you work full-time for someone, say an m.d.'s office, etc., pay is around 91k. if you work for high pressure opticals, they press you like crazy to sell and promote certain types of lenses cause of the markups. you get incentives, but may ---may--- break 100k.

opticians are now able to refract in some states like calif. mds are performing lasik galore. costco, walmart, and 1800 are killing the markup on the clenses. no joke. dilations & rtinal photos bring in about 25/pt.

you want to get a lenscrafters? well you go buy the practice--excuse me, the doctors FILES. as you rent the equipment and space, at around 11-19 percent per month G R O S S revenue, based on previous year montly. you are at the mercy of their hours and their conditions for the lease.

you want to get a private practice? call a bank and see how to get a loan for 400k and little down. ask how much it is per month to repay. its not a house loan. its a business loan--7 years baby.

if you dont believe me, and i could go on but dotn feel like typing up a storm right now, just go some searches. go under job listings for o.d's. find some private practices, find their asking price in relation to net.

if you get into a thriving practice, though, you will be ok. and if you want to practice real optometry (aka not the business aspects but medical)? get out. corporate has taken over.

we are telling you from the front lines. you have been warned.

Just say, "I want to be an optometrist so I can backdoor my way into doing surgery without going through medical school and residency. I am willing to give a lot of money to our PAC." :laugh::laugh: Just kidding guys. Please ignore me. I'm just bored and I couldn't help being bad once in a while.

Go get some antidepressant. Apparently you guys just live miserable lives and I highly doubt that it's mainly because of optometry.

What makes you think you'll be any happier doing medicine? You think you can handle the stress of far-worse-bitching patient screaming in your face or you think you can handle living with yourself if you f-up and cause a patient to die? Obviously you don't know.

p.s. if you want to live an exciting life, go to Iraq.

see there is a smart person, getting out of opt school when it wasnt for them. that means less bitter people in optometry, only one less but its a start. other whining preopt/opts should follow this path and get the eff out

and i hope you did your hw, MDs do not live lives like scrubs, ER, or house, be prepared for boring **** as well. and life and death situations??? LOL what a joke

you dont

im glad we got rid of that person in our profession, medicine can have can deal with their whining and self pity.

now all you other disgruntled ones should follow suit!! go on off you go!

why be miserable and make everyone else miserable as well? join the MDs who you envy so much and leave us alone. btw by leaving you will also help out the oversupply problem. so its win win for all of us

yup. private practice? go under sunyopt.edu or one of those schools that permit anyone to post and look at asking prices of private practices. around 400k. plus debt from o.d school, plus debt from undergrad. plus mortgage.

o.d. is not worth it.

and if the OP cannot find a valid reason for applying, reconsider.
ill tell the OP something--dont even bother for the $$. there are a TON of o.d.'s fleeing the field for a number of reason. esp private practioners. cant compete with walmart, at 39-49 per exam. there also are a huge number of o.d.s out there starving, lookign for any fill in, or looking for any sears, walmart, b.j.'s, etc. reason? private practice to purchase is too much $$. plus the revenue generated aint all that great.

thats why most docs have 2+ practices. 1 for bills, 1 for profit.

is this also the situation in canada?

its not bitterness. its reality. we are practicing in the field, my man, for the past 6+ years. THERE IS NO POT OF GOLD OUT THERE.

ill give you the honest, straight up truth:

if you work for someone, anyone, pay approximately ranges from around 250-400 per day. around. varies by location, by practice type, etc.

if you work full-time for someone, say an m.d.'s office, etc., pay is around 91k. if you work for high pressure opticals, they press you like crazy to sell and promote certain types of lenses cause of the markups. you get incentives, but may ---may--- break 100k.

opticians are now able to refract in some states like calif. mds are performing lasik galore. costco, walmart, and 1800 are killing the markup on the clenses. no joke. dilations & rtinal photos bring in about 25/pt.

you want to get a lenscrafters? well you go buy the practice--excuse me, the doctors FILES. as you rent the equipment and space, at around 11-19 percent per month G R O S S revenue, based on previous year montly. you are at the mercy of their hours and their conditions for the lease.

you want to get a private practice? call a bank and see how to get a loan for 400k and little down. ask how much it is per month to repay. its not a house loan. its a business loan--7 years baby.

if you dont believe me, and i could go on but dotn feel like typing up a storm right now, just go some searches. go under job listings for o.d's. find some private practices, find their asking price in relation to net.

if you get into a thriving practice, though, you will be ok. and if you want to practice real optometry (aka not the business aspects but medical)? get out. corporate has taken over.

we are telling you from the front lines. you have been warned.

So how is the opening of 3 new schools going to help optometry?

Sooo, I got bored reading most of the comments on here since it just leads to the same thing time and again. My advice on the essay: don't say "i've always wanted to be in medicine" because everyone writes that, its not original...the way you are going to stand out with your essay is if you find yourself a unique story/write from your heart and the only way to do that is with experience. shadowing is important, but more importantly if you CAN and are willing, find an optometrist to work for and get to know the ins and outs of the buisness and find out if its what you really want to do.

A few days shadowing you won't see much...esp if the doctor you shadow only refracts and does nothing else. The most important thing to do, and the reason I think there are a lot of "bitter" optometrists, is get to know what you're getting into career wise and find out if its what you really want to do. Its okay if its not, and great if it is...either way if you learn now rather than later A: you will be extreemly prepared your first semester (if you get a job as a tech or an optician) and B: you won't waste money finding out that its something you don't really want to do and bash it on forums like this.