SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone verify the validity of not being able to contact the advanced PD until Friday 12:00 EST? I've heard too many people saying one thing or the other. I know there was a post on page 11 from someone saying they talked to NRMP about it, but has anyone else? I can't find anything on the website that specifically says you cannot contact them. Just want to make sure so I don't miss out on a perfect opportunity to get me a prelim spot ASAP, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Where there any vascular surgery positions in the SOAP this year? thank you, and best wishes to everyone~

Does anyone know what we need to contact program directors after the SOAP? I mean will we need to request our USMLE transcript and have all our documents uploaded on a pdf file? Thank you.

Also, have been reading thread over week and I want to say I appreciate all of you for your encouragement and help. We will become doctors as long as we remain driven, focused, and determined. God Bless you all!!

Can anyone verify the validity of not being able to contact the advanced PD until Friday 12:00 EST? I've heard too many people saying one thing or the other. I know there was a post on page 11 from someone saying they talked to NRMP about it, but has anyone else? I can't find anything on the website that specifically says you cannot contact them. Just want to make sure so I don't miss out on a perfect opportunity to get me a prelim spot ASAP, thanks.

You absolutely cannot contact the advanced program PD until Match results are released on Fri. I subscribed to the SOAP list serve, and this question was specifically asked and answered:
Question: Can partially matched applicants contact the advanced program they matched with about guidance on the preliminary program?
NRMP's Answer: No, they cannot. First, the applicant should not yet know the name of the program to which s/he matched. Second, the programs will not know the names of their matched applicants until Thursday afternoon, when they receive the Confidential Roster of Matched Applicants.

NRMP later clarified that an applicant who partially matched for an advanced position might be able to figure out the program they matched to, but that's different from being told the Match results. That information is officially embargoed until Friday PM.

You absolutely cannot contact the advanced program PD until Match results are released on Fri. I subscribed to the SOAP list serve, and this question was specifically asked and answered:
Question: Can partially matched applicants contact the advanced program they matched with about guidance on the preliminary program?
NRMP's Answer: No, they cannot. First, the applicant should not yet know the name of the program to which s/he matched. Second, the programs will not know the names of their matched applicants until Thursday afternoon, when they receive the Confidential Roster of Matched Applicants.

NRMP later clarified that an applicant who partially matched for an advanced position might be able to figure out the program they matched to, but that's different from being told the Match results. That information is officially embargoed until Friday PM.

Can unmatched personnel contact programs as of 11:01am today?

No offers, no calls all week. I got up at 5AM (Alaska time zone) for this?

2 offers at last round! Accepted one

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats! I can't believe the 3rd round still has offers.
Did you get calls/IV from them earlier this week?

Yes I received their calls earlier.

Saw ppl posted that programs may rank you without IV. Well, did not happen to me, tho.

All offers have been generated for the current round.
You do not have any offers for the current offer round.

It feels bad to not have matched in the scramble, but I thought I would feel worse. I think this feeling of closure kind of helped. I guess regroup and start thinking about the next cycle. I highly doubt any unfilled spots will be fair game to me since their phones are exploding, unless it happens to be a school/hospital I have connections at. Even then, I can't even do that until noon when we get the new list of unfilled spots.

technically we can start contacting them at 11 am it says, but not sure how to see if they're unfilled or not.

Are you guys planning on using the old list of unfilled programs to predict which programs are still unfilled (at least until noon when we get the new list)?

Does anyone know what we need to contact program directors after the SOAP? I mean will we need to request our USMLE transcript and have all our documents uploaded on a pdf file? Thank you.

Also, have been reading thread over week and I want to say I appreciate all of you for your encouragement and help. We will become doctors as long as we remain driven, focused, and determined. God Bless you all!!
Does anyone have any idea what we are to send programs after we start calling and how we are suppose to to send those documents? Someone told me ECFMG certificate and diploma -- but I only have paper copies of those things?

Congratulations to everyone who matched and for those who didn't, like me, let's keep that fire alive through today and tomorrow!

I'll post this again here. I'm not sure how viable this is but this is better than nothing. There is an Assistant Physician program in Missouri that people can look into.

https://pr.mo.gov/boards/healingarts/375-1002.pdf

I think if your year of graduation is 3 or less you can try here to build a CV. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this)

Hoping it went well for you all. Thank you so much for all the encouragement. I got a prelim general surgery spot.

Reactions: 1 users
Any IMG got a spot in SOAP? I had 0 calls..only applied to IM, I want Cardiology and I wont set for anything else.. doing research for next year... if not, then I guess I will try in another country, f**k this sh1t..

Any IMG got a spot in SOAP? I had 0 calls..only applied to IM, I want Cardiology and I wont set for anything else.. doing research for next year... if not, then I guess I will try in another country, f**k this sh1t..
I am an IMG... Didn't receive any calls... Applied in prelim surgery, prelim med, fm...

UK is not a bad option if you are a citizen of Europe. You would not have to take the British USMLEs at least.

So I didn't match into a prelim spot thru the SOAP. Received 2 interviews, was hopeful that the last one for sure would've given me an offer, but didn't. I intend on contacting my advanced PD tomorrow at 12 EST, however was also thinking of maybe getting in touch with the place that interviewed me earlier today. I know they've filled the available spot, my friend got it, and am wondering if that same university affiliated hospital that I interviewed me would possibly be able to open an additional spot for me if I were to contact them, even though I'm not going there for my advanced position. Thoughts?

So I didn't match into a prelim spot thru the SOAP. Received 2 interviews, was hopeful that the last one for sure would've given me an offer, but didn't. I intend on contacting my advanced PD tomorrow at 12 EST, however was also thinking of maybe getting in touch with the place that interviewed me earlier today. I know they've filled the available spot, my friend got it, and am wondering if that same university affiliated hospital that I interviewed me would possibly be able to open an additional spot for me if I were to contact them, even though I'm not going there for my advanced position. Thoughts?
It's a long shot, but clearly you need to find something and it seems like you've got nothing to lose at this point.

There's little harm in asking. technically you're supposed to wait until 1PM to contact your adv PD (although they will know at 2PM today that you have matched there, we get our confidential lists today).

"opening an extra spot" is often talked about here. It's not as easy as it sounds. Programs each have an ACGME cap that limits their total number of trainees -- if we want to go above that cap, we need to ask for permission. Although it's relatively easy to get a temporary increase for 1 position, it does require a formal application and review by the GME office. Also, funding for an extra spot can be a problem.

Whether a program you have no affiliation with (other than they interviewed you) will go through this to open a spot for you is anyone's guess.

My core rotation hospital had a few openings, and told me to send my ERAS. I've also been calling around to random DO places out of curiosity (it doesn't hurt to ask!), and one of them said they did have an opening... does anyone know the time frame on this stuff though???

Programs said the best way to apply is through ERAS but how do you do that? Mine is still limiting me due to already applying 45/45 during SOAP. Isn't that supposed to reset?

My heart goes out to anyone who did not match. SOAP is an awful feeling and honestly I feel cheated.
I matched prelim surgery and will be reapplying to what I want next year, but this entire process is so disheartening. My self esteem has definitely taken a toll.

I know I should be grateful but it still is saddening know that what you worked for isn't what you got. Keep your head up guys.... I know it sucks.

There's little harm in asking. technically you're supposed to wait until 1PM to contact your adv PD (although they will know at 2PM today that you have matched there, we get our confidential lists today).

"opening an extra spot" is often talked about here. It's not as easy as it sounds. Programs each have an ACGME cap that limits their total number of trainees -- if we want to go above that cap, we need to ask for permission. Although it's relatively easy to get a temporary increase for 1 position, it does require a formal application and review by the GME office. Also, funding for an extra spot can be a problem.

Whether a program you have no affiliation with (other than they interviewed you) will go through this to open a spot for you is anyone's guess.

Great info thanks! I’ve been wonder about this “open a spot up” I see referenced. If funding is a potential issue, what if you know a private donor willing to help out the institutional or hospital in question?

Oh thank God. Somebody just said they'll take me for a TRI :soexcited:

Reactions: 9 users
If funding is a potential issue, what if you know a private donor willing to help out the institutional or hospital in question?

This has been asked before, and while I understand your desire to have a position this is a very bad idea. Just imagine the conflicts of interest that could come up - could the donor force them to accept only his or her choice of trainee, regardless of prior training? Would the hospital be able to discipline or direct the resident without fear of retribution? Perhaps that donor could even stipulate that only certain populations are allowed to be cared for with his or her dollars (or on the flip side, exclude certain populations from care).

The possibilities are endless, and this one of the reasons we have our current residency system and ACGME rules to deal with it.

Great info thanks! I’ve been wonder about this “open a spot up” I see referenced. If funding is a potential issue, what if you know a private donor willing to help out the institutional or hospital in question?
That is not allowed in ACGME programs.

Would we apply on ERAS for the unfilled positions or email/call directly?

Yes, it is going to re-set and ERAS fees will apply

wait, we can just re-apply to any programs, again??? to begin in July of this year? i'm confused, can someone with experience please explain this for me, thanks in advance.

wait, we can just re-apply to any programs, again??? to begin in July of this year? i'm confused, can someone with experience please explain this for me, thanks in advance.
No. This is to send your application to any program that still has open spots post-SOAP. Definitely check with the program first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.