SOAP vs reapplying next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goadyso

Reaction score
I am a thoracic integrated surgery resident looking to switch specialties, probably into IM. I missed the application cycle this year.

There are 360+ spots in IM available in SOAP each year. Debating whether to try to SOAP into a program now or just applying in September 2022.

Would like to save a year by SOAPing now, but really have no idea if that's a good or bad idea. Ultimately would like to do either cards or GI fellowship. Any advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you were competitive enough to match integrated thoracic, you'll be competitive for strong IM programs. Those are not the IM programs that are typically in SOAP. If you're looking for a competitive fellowship, you will do your future self a favor by getting into the strongest IM program that you can.

You won't hurt yourself by registering for SOAP this year (assuming you still can) and being picky about the places you send your apps to. But overall you're much more likely to have a good long-term outcome by going through the full Match process.

Reactions: 1 user
If you were competitive enough to match integrated thoracic, you'll be competitive for strong IM programs. Those are not the IM programs that are typically in SOAP. If you're looking for a competitive fellowship, you will do your future self a favor by getting into the strongest IM program that you can.

You won't hurt yourself by registering for SOAP this year (assuming you still can) and being picky about the places you send your apps to. But overall you're much more likely to have a good long-term outcome by going through the full Match process.
Thanks for your reply. My application does have some problems, and I also do not have any letters or research from IM people, so I will not be a shoo-in at top programs. I just want to go to a mid-tier program that will leave open all fellowship options.

Do community programs in internal medicine not match fellows into cards or GI? Are they producing mostly general internists or hospitalists then?

Is there a way to find out which IM programs obtained residents through SOAP last year? I imagine the answer is no but I'll ask anyway.

Thanks for your reply. My application does have some problems, and I also do not have any letters or research from IM people, so I will not be a shoo-in at top programs. I just want to go to a mid-tier program that will leave open all fellowship options.

Do community programs in internal medicine not match fellows into cards or GI? Are they producing mostly general internists or hospitalists then?
Of course not. But true academic programs will give you a leg up and if a competitive fellowship is your goal, you should do everything you can to remove obstacles to that.
Is there a way to find out which IM programs obtained residents through SOAP last year? I imagine the answer is no but I'll ask anyway.
Google may help you. It's against the Match rules to post the SOAP list so SDN does not allow it. I won't say whether or not you might find it on some less ethical forums *cough*reddit*cough*. But I guarantee you there aren't going to be (m)any places you've heard of on it.

The advice here is good.

There's almost no downside to SOAP. The cost is minimal (you just apply to a single program, any field). You'd need to collect LOR's, specifically one from your current PD. Without any IM letters, I do agree your chances aren't great. And you mentioned "issues" - will very much depend upon what that means. "Worst case", you don't get a spot in SOAP and you're no better off.

If there are IM programs local to you, there's some chance that if you reach out they might still consider you for this year. You won't know if you don't ask.

I think you can see which programs were in SOAP last year, although it's a bit of a grind. If you download the NRMP match results for last year, at the end every single program result is listed. The quota, and filled number, is listed for each program. I believe (but am not certain) that these are pre-SOAP numbers - looking at the Prelim GS numbers, it must be pre-SOAP. So you search the PDF document for "140C" (which will be part of the program code for every IM program) and see which programs the filled is < the quota. Won't take long.

All that said, you've also posted a swap thread about trying to swap a T Surgery PGY 4/5 spot for GS, Plastics, or Ortho. None of that is remotely feasible. So first you need to sort out what you really want to do, and deal with whatever issue is driving this decision.

Reactions: 1 user