Social life in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applesauce14

Reaction score
Hey everyone, M0 here. So I was talking to some current students at the school I will be attending, and they said that their class is really social. They said they went out almost every weekend and there were lots of parties all year. Does this sound normal to you? Is this how it was for you as an M1? How often did you go out/party as an M1? This makes me a little nervous, because I did not go out much as an undergrad. However, I do want to put myself out there more and have a better social life in med school. How much should I anticipate to go out? Is every weekend too much, or is that actually normal? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

I found I had an ample amount of free time in preclinical once as I became more efficient at studying. How you spend that time is up to you. I'm sure there were classmates who went out nearly every weekend, I just wasn't one of them and I don't think most people did either. Just keep in mind that med school is your #1 priority.

Reactions: 1 users
Just do as much or as little as you want. Also, being social doesn't always mean partying every weekend. Invite some classmates to try a new restaurant, hang out in the park, biking, hiking, video games, etc. unless you have a class of 20 I guarantee some of your classmates will share your interests.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, M0 here. So I was talking to some current students at the school I will be attending, and they said that their class is really social. They said they went out almost every weekend and there were lots of parties all year. Does this sound normal to you? Is this how it was for you as an M1? How often did you go out/party as an M1? This makes me a little nervous, because I did not go out much as an undergrad. However, I do want to put myself out there more and have a better social life in med school. How much should I anticipate to go out? Is every weekend too much, or is that actually normal? Help!

M1 year was one of the funnest years I had during the college/med school era. Everyone has different experiences during medical school. During clinicals, I met several of my classmates for the first time and in talking to them realized they lived what I thought was a pretty boring preclinical period. Lots of studying, almost no social time.

It's definitely possible that people are going out every weekend. It probably dies down around your class's testing periods but if you really wanna go out there's probably someone from another class who's on a testing off-cycle.

As mentioned above, if you have the studying down you can do whatever you want otherwise. Some people went out a lot. Some people had interesting hobbies. Some people just liked going fishing after class. It really depends on your personality.

My class had a wide range. There were some groups that seemed to go out a lot and others who studied more. I think a lot depends on your own career goals. If you want to go into primary care, you can probably take it much easier. If you want a tough field, then you may be spending more free time studying or doing research and other things.

But overall it’s more like a full time job. You have to put in the hours and meet your obligations. If you want to party, you probably have to plan for it more. The one thing Med school punishes above all else is procrastination. The volume of material is pretty relentless, so if you blow off studying to do something fun, you’ll just need to find time elsewhere to cover that material adequately. Do that too often and you’ll find yourself in a hole.

Regardless, there’s plenty of time to be social and have fun. Just be smart about it.

Reactions: 2 users
This usually depends on the pace/rigor/competitiveness of your preclin years. We were P/F and no class rank so people just focused on learning what they needed to without having to super grind to be top of the class. Which meant plenty of going out. Probably big "going out" once a month and general socializing frequently.

Also would like to add don’t feel like you have to socialize or go out partying if that isn’t your thing. I’m an extremely introverted person and I found my breaks from school or my version of partying was seeing my parents once a week and enjoying a home cooked meal/board game with them. Many of my peers did the more drinking and partying scene which is fine, but you have to find a balance that is right for you, and that’ll likely be found after your first month or so once you figure out how to study properly.

Reactions: 1 user
My class had a wide range. There were some groups that seemed to go out a lot and others who studied more. I think a lot depends on your own career goals. If you want to go into primary care, you can probably take it much easier. If you want a tough field, then you may be spending more free time studying or doing research and other things.

But overall it’s more like a full time job. You have to put in the hours and meet your obligations. If you want to party, you probably have to plan for it more. The one thing Med school punishes above all else is procrastination. The volume of material is pretty relentless, so if you blow off studying to do something fun, you’ll just need to find time elsewhere to cover that material adequately. Do that too often and you’ll find yourself in a hole.

Regardless, there’s plenty of time to be social and have fun. Just be smart about it.
I am mostly interested in peds. Would you say this is competitive?

Also would like to add don’t feel like you have to socialize or go out partying if that isn’t your thing. I’m an extremely introverted person and I found my breaks from school or my version of partying was seeing my parents once a week and enjoying a home cooked meal/board game with them. Many of my peers did the more drinking and partying scene which is fine, but you have to find a balance that is right for you, and that’ll likely be found after your first month or so once you figure out how to study properly.
I am kind of the same way, but do you think I can still make friends if I don't go out?

This usually depends on the pace/rigor/competitiveness of your preclin years. We were P/F and no class rank so people just focused on learning what they needed to without having to super grind to be top of the class. Which meant plenty of going out. Probably big "going out" once a month and general socializing frequently.
True, but do you think more people are failing now that it is P/F?

M1 year was one of the funnest years I had during the college/med school era. Everyone has different experiences during medical school. During clinicals, I met several of my classmates for the first time and in talking to them realized they lived what I thought was a pretty boring preclinical period. Lots of studying, almost no social time.

It's definitely possible that people are going out every weekend. It probably dies down around your class's testing periods but if you really wanna go out there's probably someone from another class who's on a testing off-cycle.

As mentioned above, if you have the studying down you can do whatever you want otherwise. Some people went out a lot. Some people had interesting hobbies. Some people just liked going fishing after class. It really depends on your personality.
Would you recommend that I go out, if I am looking to make a lot of friends?

I think people were way to blasé about keeping up with boards materials during MS1/2 (not doing anki, suspending cards after each system, etc) prior to dedicated. As far as I can tell, course failures were similar to previous years, but I expect a jump in step1 failure rate this year.
Step1 is easy to pass...as long as you've been studying for 2 years as though you were shooting for a 240+. I think a lot of people underestimated the exam to their own detriment.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, our school has been P/F preclinical for over a decade. Heck, possibly a decade before I went there. I do think it seemed like med students tried less hard on clinicals when that went P/F while I was still a resident at the same institution.

I am kind of the same way, but do you think I can still make friends if I don't go out?

Absolutely. Quality >>> quantity to me. I made two great friends this year and still visited my parents most weeks. We would go out and have lunch between classes/study together and it made the year a lot easier for me.

Don’t try to force friends in medical school, you’ll find people who have similar interests as you naturally. I don’t drink I can’t stand the taste so I never did the party/bar thing and I never felt lonely when my younger peers did.

Would you recommend that I go out, if I am looking to make a lot of friends?

Absolutely. Quality >>> quantity to me. I made two great friends this year and still visited my parents most weeks. We would go out and have lunch between classes/study together and it made the year a lot easier for me.

Don’t try to force friends in medical school, you’ll find people who have similar interests as you naturally. I don’t drink I can’t stand the taste so I never did the party/bar thing and I never felt lonely when my younger peers did.

Rapsidy covered it well.

The only thing I'd add is: be open to new experiences/personalities. Some of the best friends I've met have been people I'd never expect to hang out with. Some of the best experiences I've had are things I'd never consider doing on my own.

Sidenote: Recently went skiing with one of my friends who was literally the first person I met in medical school. Had dinner with the *second* person I met in medical school just two weeks ago. Made several lifelong friends in medical school and residency. It definitely made the experience better and added quality to my life. Get the school work under control but don't forget to experience life.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, you do you OP, don't worry about socializing too much or fitting into a clique if its not your thing.

I was in your shoes OP - I am fairly reserved and introverted and didn't really go out during undergrad. My class size was large; social cliques quickly formed and some went out and partied fairly frequently. I went out once to a large party during orientation to force myself to socialize and maybe once or twice after unit exams . I also didn't fit into any of cliques. I was friendly with everyone but didn't really belong to any group. I had one really good (best?) friend in med school whom I still keep in touch today.

Focus on yourself. Med school will keep you plenty busy if you're doing it right - academics, research, extracurriculars, good diet/exercise/sleep.

I will say though the popular kids probably had a leg up winning Gold Humanism Honors (which is voted by classmates).

Focus on yourself. Med school will keep you plenty busy if you're doing it right - academics, research, extracurriculars, good diet/exercise/sleep.

I'd argue that a lot of your list can be done (or is better done) socially.

Someone to:
-study with
-grab dinner or make dinner with
-go to the gym with
-do research projects with (so you get your name on their paper and vice versa).
-sleep with (if you're into it).

Med school can definitely be done solo, but I disagree with the notion that its to be all-encompassing.

I think people were way to blasé about keeping up with boards materials during MS1/2 (not doing anki, suspending cards after each system, etc) prior to dedicated. As far as I can tell, course failures were similar to previous years, but I expect a jump in step1 failure rate this year.
Step1 is easy to pass...as long as you've been studying for 2 years as though you were shooting for a 240+. I think a lot of people underestimated the exam to their own detriment.
I don't know much about Anki, but do you recommend I start using it right away?

Do people tend to study together a lot in med school? Like if I invited people over my place to study, would I get a lot of takers?

Honestly, you do you OP, don't worry about socializing too much or fitting into a clique if its not your thing.

I was in your shoes OP - I am fairly reserved and introverted and didn't really go out during undergrad. My class size was large; social cliques quickly formed and some went out and partied fairly frequently. I went out once to a large party during orientation to force myself to socialize and maybe once or twice after unit exams . I also didn't fit into any of cliques. I was friendly with everyone but didn't really belong to any group. I had one really good (best?) friend in med school whom I still keep in touch today.

I will say though the popular kids probably had a leg up winning Gold Humanism Honors (which is voted by classmates).
What do you consider a big class size? I think my class size is about 150. How do you recommend meeting people who don't like to go out like me?

How do you all feel about dating in med school? I am thinking about downloading some dating apps and starting from there. Will I even have time??

In medical school, if you don't prioritize something, it won't happen. Us forum folk can't tell you how to live your life, but I encourage to actively take a couple steps out of your comfort zone every now and then, otherwise medical school will take you with a strong grip. There is always something more to do in medical school. Just don't fall behind on your studies; it will take a couple months to understand what that balance takes.

Reactions: 5 users
Some people socialize by partying and drinking. Others go to the gym, run, bike, hike, go out to dinner, go to concerts and museums. Most folks study together before exams. There will surely be others who want to be social without going to big loud parties.

The good ol' pre-clinical years....

wow GIF

Reactions: 4 users
How do you all feel about dating in med school? I am thinking about downloading some dating apps and starting from there. Will I even have time??
These can work but if you’re somebody with a big and or fragile ego who doesn’t handle rejection well, 1 bad date can turn into a week of self loathing! That can ruin an entire med school block! Proceed with caution!

Last edited:
Do people tend to study together a lot in med school? Like if I invited people over my place to study, would I get a lot of takers?
I’ve been out of med school for a while now, but we did a lot of “studying separately together.” Like meeting up and mostly doing our own thing, with the occasional break for ranting and/or idea bouncing, plus pizza. Can be done at somebody’s house, a coffee shop, etc.

In terms of “going out” - no, you don’t have to go out every weekend if it’s not your thing. But I’d encourage you not to NEVER go out, either. If you never go, people will assume you don’t want to do anything ever, and the invites stop. It’s a good way to blow off steam and relax and meet people. (Pro tip: If you’re feeling awkward, look for the other people who look like they’re feeling awkward. See if they’re interested in more chill outings/activities as well).

Reactions: 3 users