Social Media and Rad Onc - A tightrope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgator

Community Rad Onc 4 LYFE
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Sounds like someone could use an ASTRO materclass in leadership @Rad Onc SK

Not once did Dr Scarborough use the word fraud in his tweet. Very intellectually dishonest stuff

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

Emoootional daaaaamaaaageeee.......

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like SK is trying to contact the employers of twitter and sdn users and get them fired.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like SK is trying to contact the employers of twitter and sdn users and get them fired.
Huh? Is this real?

Anyway.... Pro Tip: Don't be employed by anyone but you. But, especially don't be employed by someone who could/would fire you for a tweet/post about radiation oncology.

Reactions: 4 users
Behind closed doors in academia, one scumbag to another, you can get away with this. But you try that with any regular employer and they're gonna tell the individual, and then, well.. their lawyer is salivating.

do me homer simpson GIF

I have to say sameer pulled a trump. Neha was/is great, a good role model and good person but she is associated with residency/academia and I think got unfairly painted. And I know this will annoy people but she’s also a good mentor for women in oncology and has actually helped me and other more junior women (which is not true of so called womenwhocurie people).

Many on here were pro sameer because he came here and pretended to do outreach. Did the same on sdn.

Too bad. Showing his true colors now,
Too late.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Yeah, interesting someone brought that up, but I have confirmation.

He had his institution contact another doctor's bosses about a tweet that he did not understand.

He has also reached out and doxxed SDN members (i had a thread about this).

Be very, very careful. More details will come out I'm sure. This is insidious and nasty behavior.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 8 users
I have to say sameer pulled a trump. Neha was/is great, a good role model and good person but she is associated with residency/academia and I think got unfairly painted. And I know this will annoy people but she’s also a good mentor for women in oncology and has actually helped me and other more junior women (which is not true of so called womenwhocurie people).

Many on here were pro sameer because he came here and pretended to do outreach. Did the same on sdn.

Too late.
I HAD THIS EXACT THOUGHT LAST NIGHT!

It is so Trump-like. And the mini-vendettas and trying to get people in trouble.

Neha was wonderful. I really felt both were excellent, but he really reached out and tried. Met me in person at a friend's house and everything.

I generally do not make such errors in judgment about character, but I messed up. Bums me out. I lose credibility. Have to be more careful.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Yeah, interesting someone brought that up, but I have confirmation.

He had his institution contact another doctor's bosses about a tweet that he did not understand.

He has also reached out and doxxed SDN members (i had a thread about this).

Be very, very careful. More details will come out I'm sure. This is insidious and nasty behavior.
Seems like this could make for a good podcast.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like this could make for a good podcast.
Investigative journalism more of an OOTB thing - and I agree.

Honestly, with this type of behavior, I wonder if he is going to be able to even get to the finish line.

He will probably alienate enough people to call for his ouster, lol.

Reactions: 1 user

Too late.
Idk anything about the SK stuff but i have to say you are spot on about some of these “women who curie” and “DEI” people. There are some careerists in these groups who really are not allies at all. It really is a shame and has soured some of the stuff for me.

Keep your anonymity at all costs. Trust nobody. T’is my advice to anyone reading.

• Love

Too late.

Im sure Neha is a nice person, but my comfort in engaging with people in this field has changed dramatically in 2023. I am done. I am hearing way too many crazy things and people I thought were genuinely good I am no longer sure about that. Im probably wrong on most of these people, but what is the benefit of talking to someone like Neha or Sameer at all? I don't see a lot of civil meaningful discussion and learning happening on any topic these days. Personally, it's just not for me.

Most of us are employed and don't have a lot of mobility.

With no benefit to engagement and unclear risks due to this kind of behavior Im hearingf, totally agree with being anonymous and/or (in my case) highly conservative with any engagement at all.

If you are not anonymous, also make sure you read and understand your company's social media policy.

Im sure Neha is a nice person, but my comfort in engaging with people in this field has changed dramatically in 2023. I am done. I am hearing way too many crazy things and people I thought were genuinely good I am no longer sure about that. Im probably wrong on most of these people, but what is the benefit of talking to someone like Neha or Sameer at all? I don't see a lot of civil meaningful discussion and learning happening on any topic these days. Personally, it's just not for me.

With no benefit to engagement and unclear risks due to this kind of behavior Im hearingf, totally agree with being anonymous and/or (in my case) highly conservative with any engagement at all.

If you are not anonymous, also make sure you read and understand your company's social media policy.
there is 0 chance, Neha would be petty enough or (have the time) to engage in this spite

Are You Sure Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I don't know her, or SK, but I remember all those rah rah SK is different posts and I immediately said "look out, its the same sandwich in a new wrapper" and lo and behold.. here. we. are.

So I think the OP is right: enjoy your anonymity. Avoid academia, and keep on truckin' right here on channel SDN.

there is 0 chance, Neha would be petty enough or (have the time) to engage in this spite

Just to be clear, I am not making any comment on chances or people or anything other than sharing my own experiences from this year and how it has changed my own behavior. And to just advise about social media policies.

Again, I don't know her personally. Im sure she is nice and great in every way, an excellent radiation oncologist and scholar.

As they say, "its not you its me".

I don't see a lot of civil meaningful discussion and learning happening on any topic these days. Personally, it's just not for me.

With no benefit to engagement and unclear risks due to this kind of behavior Im hearing, totally agree with being anonymous and/or (in my case) highly conservative with any engagement at all.
Not sure if you're talking about Rad Onc or the House of Representatives

It's funny that as Rad Onc became more "woke", ASTRO became MAGAfied. Intimidate, bully, overrun all opposition.

• Haha
  • Hmm
  • Wow

It's funny that as Rad Onc became more "woke", ASTRO became MAGAfied. Intimidate, bully, overrun all opposition.
One of the key epiphanic insights of my psych rotation in med school was that it is human nature to become what we hate

• Love
  • Haha

oh i agree there is no need to engage just to engage. i am just saying sameer took advantage of perceived issues with neha (academic, associated with residency). it was an opportunity for someone to kind of pretend to reach out and campaign as some kind of grassroots candidate or whatever. this is clear by his behavior on this forum and on twitter.

Investigative journalism more of an OOTB thing - and I agree.

Honestly, with this type of behavior, I wonder if he is going to be able to even get to the finish line.

He will probably alienate enough people to call for his ouster, lol.
Beckta to the white courtesy phone please.. paging..

I try to stay within the borders of what I consider the "mission" of OOTB, namely, decreasing information asymmetry in Radiation Medicine.

I don't think it's healthy if a very small group of individuals are making most/all of the impactful decisions. Worse, the majority of "everyone else" barely understands the decisions, or barely understands the reasons those decisions are even needed.

So, while some may be flabbergasted to hear me say this, I have zero desire to "stir the pot" - which the kids now call "trolling", I guess.

And in that spirit, I know the exact details of what happened, and have no plans for a podcast about it. I'm fairly certain half the country knows at this point, and if you don't, just give it some time...you will.

No information asymmetry to alleviate!

Idk anything about the SK stuff but i have to say you are spot on about some of these “women who curie” and “DEI” people. There are some careerists in these groups who really are not allies at all. It really is a shame and has soured some of the stuff for me.

Keep your anonymity at all costs. Trust nobody. T’is my advice to anyone reading.

This is very true, to a degree. Especially for residents, please wait until you're done with the board certification process and have some independent practice experience under your belt.

This most recent poor behavior example of our colleagues is not the first time I've seen it. I've seen it over and over and over. And I expect to see it again.

I'm doing what I'm doing these days because it would be impossible to truly enact change if everyone remains anonymous.

I keep the majority of my stories to myself, because I think gossip hurts us all. I think it's far more acceptable for people to have dissenting opinions than even 5 years ago, but it's not without risk.

While my opinions are often the counter-establishment type, I'm not doing that to be reactionary: I'm just willing to actually think about data. But because of that, there could be an elusive third (or fourth, or fifth) opinion I'm not seeing. I'm very interested in opinions that aren't mine, or the establishment - but I also don't want people to torch their careers on accident.

Feel free to use any anonymous method to DM me here, or X/Twitter, or [email protected]

There's a reason my most recent episode went over-the-top with economic theory and how divergent opinions create efficient markets...

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I don't see a lot of civil meaningful discussion and learning happening on any topic these days. Personally, it's just not for me.

With no benefit to engagement and unclear risks due to this kind of behavior Im hearing, totally agree with being anonymous and/or (in my case) highly conservative with any engagement at all.

You lost me bruh.

Just today Ken Buck decided he was done engaging with his peers, likely because of "unclear risks due to the kind of behavior he's seeing" and not "seeing a lot of civil meaningful discussion happening these days".

It's a shame we're seeing this resignation in rad onc as well, but it is the ultimate goal. Drive the normal(ish) people out of the conversation.

Last edited:
Just today Ken Buck decided he was done engaging with his peers, likely because of "unclear risks due to the kind of behavior he's seeing" and not "seeing a lot of civil meaningful discussion happening these days".

It's a shame we're seeing this resignation in rad onc as well, but it is the ultimate goal. Drive the normal(ish) people out of the conversation.

Just because I dont want to engage with a very small group of people doesnt mean Im leaving the conversation!

You will still see podcasts from me.

Feel free to use any anonymous method to DM me here, or X/Twitter, or [email protected]

Likewise, [email protected], email any time anonymous or not.

Wait hold up.

The Astro president called his enemies’ places of work and tried to get them in trouble or fired?

Either this story is juicy juicy or something is lost in the game of telephone.

It’s like Chad OchoCinco said once - something ain’t right

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Wait hold up.

The Astro president called his enemies’ places of work and tried to get them in trouble or fired?

Either this story is juicy juicy or something is lost in the game of telephone.

It’s like Chad OchoCinco said once - something ain’t right
They really weren’t “enemies”.

Hey, let me just wander here into this thread about SpaceOAR as I am certain this product is BS and...

shocked donald glover GIF

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Yeah probably needs a spin-off as I am unsure why this news is in this thread vs the Twitter thread... since it was on... Twitter

There's so much juice

JuicyFruit is threatening a copyright infringement case.
Juice? I thought the phrase was to 'spill the tea'

Is gossip Juice? Or Tea? Maybe it's a generational thing?

Separately - I agree with spin-off. I tried to pick a thread title that was not excessively pejorative.... in line with the premise of this thread.

• Love
Separately - I agree with spin-off. I tried to pick a thread title that was not excessively pejorative.... in line with the premise of this thread.
I would argue that Rad Onc and Social Media is not a tightrope, but rather just a rope. It can be long or shot, depending on how long you want to suffer.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I would argue that Rad Onc and Social Media is not a tightrope, but rather just a rope. It can be long or shot, depending on how long you want to suffer.
Ive said it before, I'll say it again. Literally anything you post on social media can and will be criticized. It is inherently and unsafe place. Participate at your own risk.

Ive said it before, I'll say it again. Literally anything you post on social media can and will be criticized. It is inherently and unsafe place. Participate at your own risk.
4odr0z.jpg

This all sounds super familiar. Didn't this all happen several years back and was posted on SDN where some clown "academic" bully tried to get some rad onc(s) fired because of non conforming thought being posted by reaching out to employers? The end result, from what I distantly recall, was the "academic" got laughed at and was asked if this is seriously what they waste their time with.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Be careful what you wish for. Not a lawyer, but depending on the state contacting an employer to get someone fired can be considered a form of tortuous interference. If your plan works and they get canned, they could sue you. As that falls outside of the duties of your job, not sure if your malpractice insurance would cover, meaning even if you win the suit you may be out 10s of thousands in legal fees, plus being made to appear in other jurisdictions.

• Love
  • Haha
Be careful what you wish for. Not a lawyer, but depending on the state contacting an employer to get someone fired can be considered a form of tortuous interference. If your plan works and they get canned, they could sue you. As that falls outside of the duties of your job, not sure if your malpractice insurance would cover, meaning even if you win the suit you may be out 10s of thousands in legal fees, plus being made to appear in other jurisdictions.
This is how I know for sure you're not a RadOnc!

Everyone should burn this post into your soul.

RadOnc seems to not understand that these little stunts have intense consequences. It's not a small thing to bring the internet into real life.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
The collective EQ (or lack thereof) in this specialty is just baffling. Great post

does this mean Sameer isnt going to be the new replacement for Anna Brown on the podcast?

damn.