Sociology- Menopause

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lnguye15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi... im doing an assessment on menopause for pharmacy assignment and was wondering if anyone can help me explain the answers to this question. It would be greatly appreciated.

Menopause is a condition that occurs when a woment stops producing the hormones that produce eggs for fertilisation.

Explain menopause from:

- A Biomedical perspective
- A Social Medicine perspective
- A deviance perspective

Members don't see this ad.

lnguye15 said:
Hi... im doing an assessment on menopause for pharmacy assignment and was wondering if anyone can help me explain the answers to this question. It would be greatly appreciated.

Menopause is a condition that occurs when a woment stops producing the hormones that produce eggs for fertilisation.

Explain menopause from:

- A Biomedical perspective
- A Social Medicine perspective
- A deviance perspective

Umm, I think it's the other way around. Menopause is caused by the change in hormone production that occurs when a woman's egg reserve has diminished or run out. How I understand it is..women are born with a certain # of eggs, the hormones makes them come out per the cycle, the hormones change when the ovaries no longer respond normally. That's why menopause varies such from woman to woman- b/c each woman is born with varying #'s of eggs.
So, technically, I think it's the lack of eggs that initiate "menopause".
Just my thoughts. I have premature ovarian failure, which is often confused with premature menopause, so I'm slightly familiar with both.
By the way, what is the "deviance perspective"?

pharmforme said:
Umm, I think it's the other way around. Menopause is caused by the change in hormone production that occurs when a woman's egg reserve has diminished or run out. How I understand it is..women are born with a certain # of eggs, the hormones makes them come out per the cycle, the hormones change when the ovaries no longer respond normally. That's why menopause varies such from woman to woman- b/c each woman is born with varying #'s of eggs.
So, technically, I think it's the lack of eggs that initiate "menopause".
Just my thoughts. I have premature ovarian failure, which is often confused with premature menopause, so I'm slightly familiar with both.
By the way, what is the "deviance perspective"?

Actually - not so much that. It is the loss of primary ovarian follicles & the resulting decrease in serum & tissue estridiol levels. Current evidence suggests that inhibin B, whch is a glycoprotein synthesized by granulosa cells in the ovary, plays a role in triggering the menopause transition. I'm at work, so can't go into a lot of detail, but I'll come back later. Meant to look at this thread last night, but forgot.....

Since this is pre-pharmacy...I'm going to be really, really general. I wouldn't use this for the basis for a paper which needs to be fully referenced.

Given that....as ovaries age, their response to FSH & LH decreases, causing shorter follicular phases, fewer ovulations & decreased progesterone production. Eventually, they do not respond, producing little estradiol. Estrogens - now in the form of estrone - still circulate because they are produced from peripheral tissues, however the total estrogen production is much lower. Decreased production of inhibin & estrogen result in increased levels of circulating FSH & LH. This area is still being studied & I wouldn't necessarily state anything as "gospel". We used to think menopause was just a result of decreased estrogen....we now know it involves inhibin A & B & other factors. (The more you learn the more you realize you don't know ;) )

I'm not sure what social medicine & deviance perspective is. I'm guessing those terms were somehow used in your course. But...I'll give it a try & you decide if it fits the context of your course.

From my point of view - when I think of social medicine - I think of what aspects of aging & illness can be mediated by "medicine" & I don't mean medications, rather the field of medicine. For example, the risk of osteoporosis increases because estrogen is decreased. That is a simple outlook & we see that by treating women & men with estrogen, we can slow the process of osteoporosis & its consequences (broken hips, etc with the consequent morbidity). In addition, there is weight gain & increased central adiposity & decreased muscle mass which may be a factor in heart disease. There are so many factors, however, we have found that simple HRT does not alleviate these risks & may indeed pose other more serious risks of disease.

As for deviance perspective - who knows what this means!!! I'm going to go on the basis of deviant from the individuals own "normal"....not deviant from normal - there is a difference!!! Within any one woman...she may exhibit her own certain normal for 20 years....however, at the onset & during menopause - her normal may become shifted. Her concentration may diminish, her frequency & severity of headaches may be altered, her tolerance to foods & temperature may be changed. Keep in mind also that none of this may occur. There are some women who go thru menopause & the only symptom they exhibit is a reduction in menses. That does not mean she is not normal - it is just a shift from her normal.

But...who knows what your professor may be getting at. It sounds as though he/she has a preset notion of what he/she wants you to regurgitate...so...good luck. Hope I've helped!