Solid bcp GPA, low sGPA?! Should I change majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calisugar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even if I decide to tackle on some upper div science courses, my ~3.67 BCP should be pretty solid. What I'm worried about is my overall science gpa which is currently 3.31. I forgot to withdraw from a math class I took back at community college, so I received an F. I retook the class and got an A, but now that F is coming back to bite me :mad:

Everyone says BCP is most important but the sGPA is the one that's reported (average gpa of accepted applicants, on SDN, etc) so it has to be pretty significant also???

I'm actually a Math/Econ major at ucla. The upper division math classes are really intense.......... realistically, I can probably average B's in the rest of my math classes and A's in my Econ classes. So only my science gpa will be affected, but it will get lower and lower because of the B's in my math courses.

So my question is, should I change my major if my math classes are bringing my science gpa down? Also, it's too late to change my major to anything in biological sciences. I'm a 4th year and I'm planning to be a 5th year.

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably not switch majors unless you can complete it by your 5th year. 3.31 sGPA is not bad. You can still get interviews/acceptances with that. If you can maintain it that would be good. Definitely try to keep it above 3.0. How is your overall GPA?