Solid Step 1, so-so clinical grades, when to take Step 2 CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derminator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just wanted to know if anyone had some advice on this subject...good Step 1 score, all honors for pre-clinical, mostly high passes on clinical courses (no passes), few derm pubs. Is it necessary to take Step 2 CK early to make up for less than stellar clinical grades?

I was in a very similar situation and opted to take Step 2 CK very late in December. That way, if it came back as a good score, I could still bring it to the attention of programs I was interested in (and also the late interviews). Ended up working quite well for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had a similar application. My Step 1 was >250, but I took Step 2 CK in the fall since I was pretty sure I could do well on it and wanted that extra boost. I got several comments on the interview trail about how good my Step 2 score was specifically. I think a great Step 2 stands out a little since everyone seems to have a great Step 1, but only about half the applicants (or less) even have a Step 2 score to look at.

I also had a similar application. My Step 1 was >250, but I took Step 2 CK in the fall since I was pretty sure I could do well on it and wanted that extra boost. I got several comments on the interview trail about how good my Step 2 score was specifically. I think a great Step 2 stands out a little since everyone seems to have a great Step 1, but only about half the applicants (or less) even have a Step 2 score to look at.

I'm also in the camp that says if you put even half the work you put into Step 1, it's quite hard to do poorer on Step 2 CK. Or maybe I just got lucky?