Solo practice insurance reimbursement as percent of medicare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orion1978

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on starting my own ENT practice. For solo or small practices, what percent of Medicare reimbursements are you seeing in a large, competitive urban area? I have heard that 125% is what to expect in insurance contracts.

Members don't see this ad.

So this is my experience for general surgery
Medicaid hmos pays Medicaid or better.

Medicare advantage ranges from 85% of Medicare to 100% but usually 90% to 100%

Ppo insurance is usually 110% with some exceptions like United healthcare or some exchange plans where they will do 90%

it’s specialty specific and I know you said large urban area but even between Boston and say houston you will probably see a 10 to 15% difference (with Boston being lower)

Smartest thing I recommend is ask your peers in the area

Reactions: 1 user
So this is my experience for general surgery
Medicaid hmos pays Medicaid or better.

Medicare advantage ranges from 85% of Medicare to 100% but usually 90% to 100%

Ppo insurance is usually 110% with some exceptions like United healthcare or some exchange plans where they will do 90%

it’s specialty specific and I know you said large urban area but even between Boston and say houston you will probably see a 10 to 15% difference (with Boston being lower)

Smartest thing I recommend is ask your peers in the area
That's insane. I moved to my market initially because it was a good state for docs. We're at 105-110% of Medicare. Currently, I'm looking into whether it's possible to charge a per visit fee (i.e. $20-30) as a blanket fee for typically free services such as phone refills, forms, patient portal, etc.

That's insane. I moved to my market initially because it was a good state for docs. We're at 105-110% of Medicare. Currently, I'm looking into whether it's possible to charge a per visit fee (i.e. $20-30) as a blanket fee for typically free services such as phone refills, forms, patient portal, etc.
We charge a forms fee. Not per visit, just per form (not sure if it is a charge per individual form or just a blanket fee for all the forms brought at one time).