About the ads

solubility rules

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by glia25, May 12, 2009.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. glia25

glia25

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Are they worth the memorization?
  2. SAEbrodel

SAEbrodel

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i'm wondering the same thing, i also noticed that EK and TPR differ on their rules, anyone know the REAL rules for solubility. Thanks.
  3. FIREitUP

FIREitUP

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    i don't know, because i noticed some inconsistencies myself. probably not important. whenever you see a solubility problem think common ion effect.
  4. Longshanks

Longshanks

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Kaplan has a long list of all the rules, but I could just never get my head around them. Too many exceptions to the rules to the point where ... are there any rules?
  5. rockaction

rockaction casemed'14

Medical Student
    I'd say be familiar. There's no telling whether you could get a question or two that could easily be answered with knowledge of a couple rules. I forget them now, but my TPR book had a couple that were worth putting to memory.
  6. sv3

sv3

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have the same issue...so many rules and exceptions. I get the drift and don't plan to memorize but reading them over 48 hrs before the exam could help retain in for the short term.
  7. combatwombat

combatwombat

SDN 5+ Year Member
    As I recall, MCAT solubility just came down to whether the molecule was charged or not. Charged = soluble in polar stuff; non-charged = soluble in non-polar stuff
  8. JJMrK

JJMrK J to the J Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    You mean memorizing this?
    [​IMG]

Probably not worth it.

I'd go with this.
  9. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    FWIW, YES! Memorize the solubility rules, but be aware that you get slightly different versions based on whether you are reading Kaplan, TPR, or etc. So, it's important to remember that the solubility rules are not a binary thing. It's a spectrum of solubilities, and where one person defines "insoluble" may not be the same as where another person defines "insoluble". You should definitely know the basic rules, and if you have time, learn exactly why: i.e. "A phosphate of X, Y, Z is soluble/insoluble because ____"
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  10. BBender716

BBender716 Med school drop out!

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Also, I'd say know the really really obvious ones like all nitrates being soluble and pretty much all ammonium containing compounds and alkali compounds being soluble. Also, know common-ion effect as suggested about and how solubility constants read.
  11. Prince Abubu

Prince Abubu

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    in EK Audio Osmosis they say that it's not needed, but they talk about it anyway.

If I recall correctly, there was one or two questions on previous AAMCs that dealt with solubility