Solubility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vivatix

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused in reference to the question below. Can someone please cover the concept of solubility and rate of solubility - what factors affect each one.

upload_2015-9-25_17-47-27.png

I thought that solubility is an intrinsic property - some compounds are soluble and others are not in a given solvent. And factors like the ones listed above affect the rate of the solubility.

For example,

1. increase temperature = increase solubility
2. increase surface area (add crushed compound) = increase solubility
3. add another solute = that would depend on whether common ion effect takes place (i.e. does the other solute have an element that is common to out initial solute of interest)
4. pressure - I am not sure about this one - I am thinking that pressure has to do with boiling of the solution - if we increase the pressure above the surface of the solution, then it is harder for the solution to boil and this may decrease the rate of the solubility only if we were boiling it

But the answer explanation above seems to make a distinction between "solubility" and "rate of solubility".

Members don't see this ad.

I think it has to deal with Ksp, which is a form of Keq constant. Any Keq constants can only be affected by temperature, which is directly related to the average speed of the molecules.