Some Advice or Criticism welcomed on DAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoomerSooner-ang

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a Sophomore in college but will graduate next year.

I am a Texas resident attending university outside of the state with intentions to return for Dental School.

Right now my GPA is a 3.74 Overall but institutionally a 3.84 (B and a C in high-school dual enrollment)
For science classes it is between a 3.62-3.67 depending on what courses are counted (B in calculus and Chem 1) (A's in Chem-2, O-chem 1, Physics-1 and lab, Statistics and Bio- lab)

I am very involved on campus with 5 campus wide leadership positions.

I am taking 17 hours this semester and anticipate receiving all A's again this semester, which should bring my overall gpa (after some summer classes) to around a 3.8. I will graduate next fall.

I plan on applying to all three Texas schools, Oklahoma, some cheap OOS and then maybe a few reach schools (Harvard, Penn, {UoP?}, UCLA)

I plan on taking my DAT this semester and i was wondering what score would be necessary for me to be considered competitive for acceptance?

I welcome all criticism and feedback, so please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Members don't see this ad.

For Harvard, 26+, for the Texas schools with your GPA and just about every other school, 20-21 will get you several interviews depending on how applications you put in. Just know, the application and interview process is very expensive, it's not like undergrad, so applying to "reach" schools really isn't financially a good idea. Apply to schools where you want to attend and you have a better than average chance of getting accepted. If you get a 20-21 on your DAT, it's just tossing money out the window to apply to Harvard, UCLA, etc. because you pretty much have no chance of getting in. That doesn't mean you are a poor candidate elsewhere, you are a strong candidate assuming a 20ish score on your DAT, but Harvard wants researchers with very, very high stats. UCLA accepts very few out of state students and those are pretty much top of the class type applicants. It's a slightly different mindset vs applying for undergrad. You would be much better served applying to a few private schools with those dollars vs applying to "reach" schools. Once you spend some more time here, you will see what works and what doesn't.

For Harvard, 26+, for the Texas schools with your GPA and just about every other school, 20-21 will get you several interviews depending on how applications you put in. Just know, the application and interview process is very expensive, it's not like undergrad, so applying to "reach" schools really isn't financially a good idea. Apply to schools where you want to attend and you have a better than average chance of getting accepted. If you get a 20-21 on your DAT, it's just tossing money out the window to apply to Harvard, UCLA, etc. because you pretty much have no chance of getting in. That doesn't mean you are a poor candidate elsewhere, you are a strong candidate assuming a 20ish score on your DAT, but Harvard wants researchers with very, very high stats. UCLA accepts very few out of state students and those are pretty much top of the class type applicants. It's a slightly different mindset vs applying for undergrad. You would be much better served applying to a few private schools with those dollars vs applying to "reach" schools. Once you spend some more time here, you will see what works and what doesn't.

Awesome, thank you very much for your response.

Is a 3.8 really so far out of the realm of competitive that i would need to score a 26 for an interview to Harvard?

I will definitely take your opinions on reach schools into account.

Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on your overall GPA...that's the one that's going to be looked at, not your institutional GPA. For Penn/UoP I think anything over a 23 should be fine. For UCLA you might need something extra special on your application to stand out since they're picky about their OOS students.

For Harvard, I wouldn't bother - from what I hear the large majority of their class these days has a GPA of 3.9+ and no DAT score is going to offset that.

Reactions: 1 user
Focus on your overall GPA...that's the one that's going to be looked at, not your institutional GPA. For Penn/UoP I think anything over a 23 should be fine. For UCLA you might need something extra special on your application to stand out since they're picky about their OOS students.

For Harvard, I wouldn't bother - from what I hear the large majority of their class these days has a GPA of 3.9+ and no DAT score is going to offset that.
Thank you for responding,

Would you say that my GPA is competitive for most programs? And what is your opinion on UoP's three year program? Obviously it would be less cost efficient for me, but i think the added year would be advantageous.

Thank you for responding,

Would you say that my GPA is competitive for most programs? And what is your opinion on UoP's three year program? Obviously it would be less cost efficient for me, but i think the added year would be advantageous.

Average admitted student across all schools has a 3.6 and a 19.9 DAT. On the top of the main page is a very detailed post, with plenty of excel sheets, explaining the process. I suggest you read through that. I would also do a search on UoP and see if it really is for you. Outside of Harvard, UCSF, Penn maybe, with a 20 or better DAT, you are a great candidate. Just know, most out of state, state schools accept very few students, it just is what it is and it is no reflection on you, there are just only so many seats to go around. With a 20 or better DAT, you will get multiple interviews, after that, it is all up to you. There are people here that get one interview and one acceptance, there are people here that get 7 interviews and no acceptances..meaning the ladder just doesn't interview well. What it comes down to is would you rather pay $200,000 for dental school or $500,000.

Reactions: 2 users
where do you see yourself living and practicing in the future? if its texas i honestly would only apply to texas. as long as you do well on the DAT i don't see why you wouldn't be accepted to all 3. also really think about student loans: average debt from baylor is around $170k for all 4 years, UoP's tuition alone is $90k per year.

i applied to a few OOS and reach schools because i thought what the hell, but in retrospect it was a big waste of money (tmdsas = $140 total, aadsas = $245 + $93 per school + about $75 per school for 2nd app fee). even oklahoma, they only accept 7 OOS students and i think only 2 from tx. sally in the admin office told me she takes your competitiveness for your instate schools into consideration when sending invites.

just my opinion! its fun to research all the schools and think about all the places you could live but, for me, it was not a smart use of $800.

If your GPA stays where it is and you get a 21 or 22 I would honestly only apply to Texas schools and OOS public schools that give in-state after the first year (UConn *hint hint* among other). You put yourself in a good position and you deserve to be rewarded with a low debt burden.

http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudyGuide.pdf
http://datbootcamp.com/Ari'sStudySchedule.pdf

Good luck!

Sigh. I wish I were a TX resident. Lucky Texans. On top of not one, not two, but THREE extremely reasonably priced schools, they get nice warm year-round weather, awesome food like Whataburger, easy access to gorgeous Mexico, and no state income taxes.

Reactions: 1 users
Sigh. I wish I were a TX resident. Lucky Texans. On top of not one, not two, but THREE extremely reasonably priced schools, they get nice warm year-round weather, awesome food like Whataburger, easy access to gorgeous Mexico, and no state income taxes.

I'm definitely glad my parents decided to settle down here lol.

That being said I'm not a Whataburger fan and the winter weather gets relatively harsh :(

the winter weather gets relatively harsh :(

Indeed- That 60 degree weather in an other-wise year-round 80 degree area must be rough. Why don't we trade places? I'll come down and deal with that rough weather, and you can enjoy the pretty frostbite in below-freezing temperatures that I'm being bombarded with xD.

I really hope I get to end up in a warm place like TX someday.

Indeed- That 60 degree weather in an other-wise year-round 80 degree area must be rough. Why don't we trade places? I'll come down and deal with that rough weather, and you can enjoy the pretty frostbite in below-freezing temperatures that I'm being bombarded with xD.

For the most part you're right, but living in Texas the weather is rarely truly enjoyable. When it's hot it's reeaally hot because of the humidity. I went to the desert and everyone was complaining about the heat and i was confused until i checked the weather and it was like 92, but it was so dry it just felt really nice. When it's in Texas and 92 you FEEL it for sure. When it's cold it's extremely windy and biting, I went to Colorado (I know not the coldest place in the country) and when it was cold it was bearably so, despite being lower than in Texas. Also it definitely gets ALOT lower than 60 depending on the time of year.

Like right now I'm in school (obviously i go to OU) and it's incredibly windy, so despite it being 50 degrees i'm shivering because it's just so windy and biting. the minute the wind stops it's very nice and warm, but the wind never stops lol.

Please go down to Houston this July/August and let me know how you are liking the 80 degree weather...

You are mistaken if you think it never gets below freezing here. To say our weather hovers between 60 and 80 is incorrect on both ends of the spectrum. If you are looking for an area with such a moderate climate, I'd suggest Southern California or South Florida.

Reactions: 1 users
For the most part you're right, but living in Texas the weather is rarely truly enjoyable. When it's hot it's reeaally hot because of the humidity. I went to the desert and everyone was complaining about the heat and i was confused until i checked the weather and it was like 92, but it was so dry it just felt really nice. When it's in Texas and 92 you FEEL it for sure. When it's cold it's extremely windy and biting, I went to Colorado (I know not the coldest place in the country) and when it was cold it was bearably so, despite being lower than in Texas. Also it definitely gets ALOT lower than 60 depending on the time of year.

Like right now I'm in school (obviously i go to OU) and it's incredibly windy, so despite it being 50 degrees i'm shivering because it's just so windy and biting. the minute the wind stops it's very nice and warm, but the wind never stops lol.

Please go down to Houston this July/August and let me know how you are liking the 80 degree weather...

You are mistaken if you think it never gets below freezing here. To say our weather hovers between 60 and 80 is incorrect on both ends of the spectrum. If you are looking for an area with such a moderate climate, I'd suggest Southern California or South Florida.

Fair points, fair points. This winter is just something I dislike. Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm definitely glad my parents decided to settle down here lol.

That being said I'm not a Whataburger fan and the winter weather gets relatively harsh :(

:lol::lol::lol:

Harsh is -40 with 4 feet of snow :).