Some advice please? 2.89 cGPA, 3.09 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreadhead

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hardworking first generation college student. Provided for myself throughout college. 3 jobs + full-time commuter student. MathBio major Neuro & Chem minors. cGPA 2.89 (upward trend), sGPA 3.09, MCAT score 495, with little prep via Kaplan book set & lots of anxiety surrounding test day. (As I'm sure most have)

I have 3 years of patient care experience (CNA, telemetry tech, phlebotomist). I have shadowed both MDs & DOs. I've been in the OR & Office (neurosurgeon), lab (pathologist), clinic & hospital unit (oncologist-peds). I am a certified yoga instructor. I have 2 years of clinical Volunteer experience in the ED & surgical services. I have outstanding recommendations from my unit directors, bosses, the physicians I've shadowed, charge nurses, coworkers, parents I've been a nanny for, and patients I've cared for. However, I do not have recommendations from undergrad committee or professors- was not involved much at the large state school being I worked a bunch & commuted.

My plan is: apply to post baccs with these stats (ones I'm applying to offer MCAT prep, so I don't want to retake until after/during postbacc if possible), score much better (508+) on MCAT, obtain great GPA (3.8+) during postbacc as my partner will be working & can support us both so i can focus on school, participate in research through the program, make good connections & get Academic L.O.R.s from the postbacc rather than undergrad. Then apply to DO schools.

Does this seem reasonable? I do not have much guidance and I really appreciate any advice!! This is my dream and I am not going to give up!! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hardworking first generation college student. Provided for myself throughout college. 3 jobs + full-time commuter student. MathBio major Neuro & Chem minors. cGPA 2.89 (upward trend), sGPA 3.09, MCAT score 495, with little prep via Kaplan book set & lots of anxiety surrounding test day. (As I'm sure most have)

I have 3 years of patient care experience (CNA, telemetry tech, phlebotomist). I have shadowed both MDs & DOs. I've been in the OR & Office (neurosurgeon), lab (pathologist), clinic & hospital unit (oncologist-peds). I am a certified yoga instructor. I have outstanding recommendations from my unit directors, bosses, the physicians I've shadowed, charge nurses, coworkers, parents I've been a nanny for, and patients I've cared for. However, I do not have recommendations from undergrad committee or professors- was not involved much at the large state school being I worked a bunch & commuted.

My plan is: apply to post baccs with these stats (ones I'm applying to offer MCAT prep, so I don't want to retake until after/during postbacc if possible), score much better (508+) on MCAT, obtain great GPA (3.8+) during postbacc as my partner will be working & can support us both so i can focus on school, participate in research through the program, make good connections & get Academic L.O.R.s from the postbacc rather than undergrad. Then apply to DO schools.

Does this seem reasonable? I do not have much guidance and I really appreciate any advice!! This is my dream and I am not going to give up!! Thank you!

You need to score higher on the MCAT. At this point, unless you can knock your MCAT retake out of the park, you will likely be looking at only DO schools...if you can significantly improve your stats.

My advice would be to retake the MCAT and get a score competitive for DO schools, then look into DO post-bac programs. Doing a post-bac before you get your MCAT score could be detrimental...

I agree your MCAT needs to be improved but I think your plan of doing a post-bacc with built in MCAT prep is smart. I am currently at VCU's and they offer a Kaplan course 2nd semester. I would recommend the program so far because if you put in the time you will see results and from your introduction I'm getting the vibe that you're serious about it. The rest of your application looks great though! I would try to get some nonclinical volunteering hours to bolster your application. EVMS has a 2 year program with built in MCAT prep and you can apply concurrently during the 2nd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to score higher on the MCAT. At this point, unless you can knock your MCAT retake out of the park, you will likely be looking at only DO schools...if you can significantly improve your stats.

My advice would be to retake the MCAT and get a score competitive for DO schools, then look into DO post-bac programs. Doing a post-bac before you get your MCAT score could be detrimental...

Heybubbaa: thank you so much for the response. Why do you say that doing a post bacc before retaking the MCAT is detrimental?

I agree your MCAT needs to be improved but I think your plan of doing a post-bacc with built in MCAT prep is smart. I am currently at VCU's and they offer a Kaplan course 2nd semester. I would recommend the program so far because if you put in the time you will see results and from your introduction I'm getting the vibe that you're serious about it. The rest of your application looks great though! I would try to get some nonclinical volunteering hours to bolster your application. EVMS has a 2 year program with built in MCAT prep and you can apply concurrently during the 2nd year.

Ppushpak: hey thanks so much for your response! I will definitely look into those programs you've reccomended and I will get some nonclinical volunteer hours. I do already have 2 years of clinical Volunteer hours (ED Volunteer & surgical services volunteer). Your advice has been very helpful. Good luck in your journey!!

Reactions: 1 user