Some AMCAS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speranza

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions about AMCAS. First, how exactly do they calculate GPAs? If my school uses a straight system of As (90-100) = 4.0 and Bs (80-90) = 3.0, i.e. no +/- grades, then will AMCAS use the same format for its GPA calcualtion? For example, if I have a 4.0, will the AMCAS GPA be the same? Also, how do they figure in courses that were taken for credit only? At my school, it is simply given 0.0 points and doesn't factor into the GPA. Same for AMCAS?

And as far as future course listing, did you guys list all your courses for the following year? My transcript only shows the courses I am taking fall semester, however I also know what courses I'll be taking in the spring. Should I go ahead and list those as well, or just the fall semester ones, since that's all that is on my transcript?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Members don't see this ad.

safeflower said:
I have a few questions about AMCAS. First, how exactly do they calculate GPAs? If my school uses a straight system of As (90-100) = 4.0 and Bs (80-90) = 3.0, i.e. no +/- grades, then will AMCAS use the same format for its GPA calcualtion? For example, if I have a 4.0, will the AMCAS GPA be the same? Also, how do they figure in courses that were taken for credit only? At my school, it is simply given 0.0 points and doesn't factor into the GPA. Same for AMCAS?

And as far as future course listing, did you guys list all your courses for the following year? My transcript only shows the courses I am taking fall semester, however I also know what courses I'll be taking in the spring. Should I go ahead and list those as well, or just the fall semester ones, since that's all that is on my transcript?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

You type in whatever grade is on your transcript. So if it says you got an A, then that means you put A down. If you had A-, then you put A- down.

For GPA calculations........

3.3 = B+ instead of 3.33
3.7 = A- instead of 3.67

2.3=C+ instead of 2.33
2.7=B- instead of 2.67

Etc. etc.

Hope that clarifies.

gujuDoc said:
You type in whatever grade is on your transcript. So if it says you got an A, then that means you put A down. If you had A-, then you put A- down.

For GPA calculations........

3.3 = B+ instead of 3.33
3.7 = A- instead of 3.67

2.3=C+ instead of 2.33
2.7=B- instead of 2.67

Etc. etc.

Hope that clarifies.

Oh, I think you misunderstood my question (or I did your answer). I was asking if the AMCAS people calculated GPAs in the same fashion as most schools without a +/- system do. As in all grades from 90-100 are As and are assigned 4.0 points, etc.

Anyone else have any comments on this and on my question about future course listing?

safeflower said:
Oh, I think you misunderstood my question (or I did your answer). I was asking if the AMCAS people calculated GPAs in the same fashion as most schools without a +/- system do. As in all grades from 90-100 are As and are assigned 4.0 points, etc.

Anyone else have any comments on this and on my question about future course listing?

They don't look at percentages because on your transcripts there are no percentages given. They only go by how a grade appears on your transcript.

So I don't think you can really tell whether A is representing an 85 percent or a 90 percent.

They calculate your GPA based on what you tell them. If you don't have +/- grades, then your gpa will be calculated without +/- grades. It will be calculated based on whatever you type in there.

In other words, percentage means nothing, because the only thing you enter in is whether you got a A, A-, B+, B, B-. Based on that, they calculate the gpa hours with what I gave you above.

I don't know what's so confusing about this.