Some clarification needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When determining the solubility constant for a reaction, I know we can disregard pure solids, but is it true that we can only disregard pure liquids if that liquid is the solvent? Also, can any molecule that has a N, O, or F engage in hydrogen bonding, even if those atoms aren't presently attached to a H atom? Those are just some points from my TPR class that I need checked. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When determining the solubility constant for a reaction, I know we can disregard pure solids, but is it true that we can only disregard pure liquids if that liquid is the solvent? Also, can any molecule that has a N, O, or F engage in hydrogen bonding, even if those atoms aren't presently attached to a H atom? Those are just some points from my TPR class that I need checked. Thanks.

Ignore all pure liquids. If it's in the solvent it probably is the solvent. All NOF can hydrogen bond, but if the NOF doesnt have a covalent bond to a hydrogen, then it can only accept an h-bond but cannot donate an h-bond.

For example, Ketones can h-bond to water, but not to other ketones, while water can h-bond to anything with an NOF.

Really? If I remember correctly, my instructor was pretty adamant on only ignoring solvents, not pure liquids.

Really? If I remember correctly, my instructor was pretty adamant on only ignoring solvents, not pure liquids.

Well, I've never seen an MCAT problem that had a pure liquid that was not also the solvent. I don't know for sure, but I assume you ignore all liquids.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ignore all solids and liquids. I've been told that there have never been any aamc tests where liquids have been apart of the ksp equation.

Ksp=products_only

Since products are typically dissolved, aqueous/gas form of reactants :)

Sent from my Crespo4g using Tapatalk