Some Help needed...August MCAT=automatically late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deacon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am retaking the August MCATS and I am a bit confused about this whole application process (I'm from Canada). Will it even matter if I apply early to AMCAS? Also, what exactly does it mean for your application to be complete? Does this include secondaries, letters of references, transcripts?
thanks,
deacon

Members don't see this ad.

deacon said:
Hi Everyone,
I am retaking the August MCATS and I am a bit confused about this whole application process (I'm from Canada). Will it even matter if I apply early to AMCAS? Also, what exactly does it mean for your application to be complete? Does this include secondaries, letters of references, transcripts?
thanks,
deacon

yes, you still need to apply early.

look at it this way. the earlier you submit your AMCAS, the earlier you get the secondaries. they create a file for you right away, into which goes all of your application stuff, including your letters of recommendation, etc. so, when you've got all your stuff in, your application, totally complete with the exception of MCAT scores, will be placed on hold until your august mcat scores are released (in october). if you submit your application in june/early july, you'll be close to the top of that hold pile, and your application will be reviewed as soon as your scores are released, meaning you could have interview invites in october/november. if you wait until october to submit, you will be much lower in the pile, and it'll take much longer to get to your application, *especially* if your application is delayed for any reason (missing LOR, photo, etc.) this means that your interview invites won't come until much later, when there are far fewer spots left in the class. hope that made sense.

U Pitt and U Mich give pre-secondary interviews, if your numbers are high enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
MWillie said:
U Pitt and U Mich give pre-secondary interviews, if your numbers are high enough.
How high is "high enough"?

happydays said:
How high is "high enough"?
Oops i replied to the wrong thread. But high enough I think is something like 3.6+, 36+.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am still a bit confused...If you file your applications with AMCAS now, are you applying for Early Decision? It says on the AMCAS website that you can only apply to one school for the early decision applications. Also, when it means to complete your applications with AMCAS, does this includes LOR, secondaries, transcripts etc.?
Another thing, if you write on a certain topic on the AMCAS can you refer to it again in your secondaries? What kinds of questions do the secondaries ask?
thanks so much

deacon said:
Hi,
I am still a bit confused...If you file your applications with AMCAS now, are you applying for Early Decision? It says on the AMCAS website that you can only apply to one school for the early decision applications. Also, when it means to complete your applications with AMCAS, does this includes LOR, secondaries, transcripts etc.?
Another thing, if you write on a certain topic on the AMCAS can you refer to it again in your secondaries? What kinds of questions do the secondaries ask?
thanks so much

No you are not applying ED by submitting AMCAS now, and if you are taking August, I don't think you even can. Submit AMCAS as soon as you can get it ready (like within a week or two would be good), indicating on it that you are taking the August MCAT. That will "hold your place in line" when the MCAT score is in. You will need to get your transcripts sent in to AMCAS (they have forms for you to print out). LORs don't go through AMCAS. The secondaries will be sent to you by the schools you indicate on AMCAS (or the schools will have them online for you to use), and LORs are part of this secondary process - they go directly to the schools. Schools will have your AMCAS application, so sure, you can refer to it in the secondary, (I personally wouldn't) but don't expect people to take the time to cross index anything. There are many forms of secondary questions -- I suggest checking various med school websites and see if they have a PDF copy available.