USMLE Some NBME 16 doubts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redcharger2904

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gone through my wrong qs. Still a few that I don't quite get it. I post few here
3-35) 27yo woman nulligravid with 24-hr hx of pain with urination and increased urinary frequency. Sexually active with 1 partner and takes oral contraceptive, no condoms. T 37C. Suprapubic tenderness. Cause?
(A) Candida albicans
(B) E. Coli
(C) HPV
(D)Neisseria gonorrheae
(E)Treponema pallidum
I picked Neisseria and wrong. I know that E. Coli is the most common cause of UTI, but doesn't her unprotected sex make Neissseria likely cause?

3-49) 55-year-old man comes to physician because of constipation since starting a new over-the-counter medication 2 weeks ago for chronic persistent cough and sinus congestion. Which of the following component is the most likely cause of his new symptom?
(A) Acetaminophen
(B) Dextromethorphan
(C) Guaifenesin
(D)Loratadine
(E)Phenylephrine
Chose guaifenesin which is MAN WRONG. I thought guaifenesin is a decongestant, and I found that guaifenesin can also cause constipation, according to Wikipedia

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've gone through my wrong qs. Still a few that I don't quite get it. I post few here
3-35) 27yo woman nulligravid with 24-hr hx of pain with urination and increased urinary frequency. Sexually active with 1 partner and takes oral contraceptive, no condoms. T 37C. Suprapubic tenderness. Cause?
(A) Candida albicans
(B) E. Coli
(C) HPV
(D)Neisseria gonorrheae
(E)Treponema pallidum
I picked Neisseria and wrong. I know that E. Coli is the most common cause of UTI, but doesn't her unprotected sex make Neissseria likely cause?

3-49) 55-year-old man comes to physician because of constipation since starting a new over-the-counter medication 2 weeks ago for chronic persistent cough and sinus congestion. Which of the following component is the most likely cause of his new symptom?
(A) Acetaminophen
(B) Dextromethorphan
(C) Guaifenesin
(D)Loratadine
(E)Phenylephrine
Chose guaifenesin which is MAN WRONG. I thought guaifenesin is a decongestant, and I found that guaifenesin can also cause constipation, according to Wikipedia

Thanks

Neisseria can cause urethretis, but a presentation like that is much more likely to be due to E.Coli. Also, if the vignette states that the patient is monogamous, then its usually not a sexually transmitted infection.

For the next one, the answer is probably Dextromethorphan. Being an opioid it suppresses GI motility, causing constipation.