Some Quick Questions - Seeking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fading Candle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
I attend an ivy league school (non HYP), where I'm majoring in biophysics. I took an intense schedule (both in # of courses and difficulty - almost exclusively upper division/graduate level) right from the beginning. I became very ill (viral infection -> activation of autoimmune condition). I didn't do as well as I hoped but in hindsight I did decent all things considered. I didn't have a medical diagnosis due to the nature of my particular condition (it is VERY difficult to diagnose and often takes 5+ years to get a solid diagnosis barring hospital / life threatening complications). I ended up doing a bit better my sophomore year when I started to catch on that I might have to take it a bit easy for health reasons - BUT I still didn't do as well as I would've liked due to brain fog / memory problems. I ended up in the hospital with severe complications from my condition (right after the semester finished). It was then that I got my diagnosis. I decided to take some time off for school (2 years). This semester I came back and did amazing (straight As in a VERY strong course load) as a result of my health issues being well managed. The problem is that my gpa is resting at a 3.4 because of the grades from before.

1. I certainly hope to have an upward trend but it is a bit muddled: I did better my fall semester than spring semester sophomore year for instance. BUT I feel that I'll be able to maintain good grades now (3.8+) till I graduate. Since I took 2 medical leave years, will this be enough to kinda throw them off from looking too closely at my freshman and sophomore grades critically?

2. I got a C in Orgo 1 from before I took my medical leave years. Does me getting an A in orgo 2 this last semester make up for this? Should I take additional orgo classes? I have a lot of high level physics classes that I've gotten As in - will this help to assure them that the orgo 1 grade was an anomaly?

3. I took a P/F creative writing course this last semester. I have to take another english/writing course to get my 2 requirements out of the way. Is it going to look bad if I take another creative writing course instead of a literature analysis course (the lit analysis course is offered with the option to take it for a grade)? I'm not particularly good at literature analysis (haven't done it in a long while for one), but I worry that taking 2 mandatory P/F courses in creative writing for my english requirements is going to look bad? Any thoughts?

4. This might sound strange but in terms of getting experience shadowing doctors - do I get to count or list all the time I spent as a patient with doctors? (I'm probably sitting at ~500+ hours easy with nearly every clinical specialty)

5. Is there anything I should be doing extra to try and assure admission committees that I'm well enough to attend grad school?

Members don't see this ad.

Background:
I attend an ivy league school (non HYP), where I'm majoring in biophysics. I took an intense schedule (both in # of courses and difficulty - almost exclusively upper division/graduate level) right from the beginning. I became very ill (viral infection -> activation of autoimmune condition). I didn't do as well as I hoped but in hindsight I did decent all things considered. I didn't have a medical diagnosis due to the nature of my particular condition (it is VERY difficult to diagnose and often takes 5+ years to get a solid diagnosis barring hospital / life threatening complications). I ended up doing a bit better my sophomore year when I started to catch on that I might have to take it a bit easy for health reasons - BUT I still didn't do as well as I would've liked due to brain fog / memory problems. I ended up in the hospital with severe complications from my condition (right after the semester finished). It was then that I got my diagnosis. I decided to take some time off for school (2 years). This semester I came back and did amazing (straight As in a VERY strong course load) as a result of my health issues being well managed. The problem is that my gpa is resting at a 3.4 because of the grades from before.

1. I certainly hope to have an upward trend but it is a bit muddled: I did better my fall semester than spring semester sophomore year for instance. BUT I feel that I'll be able to maintain good grades now (3.8+) till I graduate. Since I took 2 medical leave years, will this be enough to kinda throw them off from looking too closely at my freshman and sophomore grades critically?

2. I got a C in Orgo 1 from before I took my medical leave years. Does me getting an A in orgo 2 this last semester make up for this? Should I take additional orgo classes? I have a lot of high level physics classes that I've gotten As in - will this help to assure them that the orgo 1 grade was an anomaly?

3. I took a P/F creative writing course this last semester. I have to take another english/writing course to get my 2 requirements out of the way. Is it going to look bad if I take another creative writing course instead of a literature analysis course (the lit analysis course is offered with the option to take it for a grade)? I'm not particularly good at literature analysis (haven't done it in a long while for one), but I worry that taking 2 mandatory P/F courses in creative writing for my english requirements is going to look bad? Any thoughts?

4. This might sound strange but in terms of getting experience shadowing doctors - do I get to count or list all the time I spent as a patient with doctors? (I'm probably sitting at ~500+ hours easy with nearly every clinical specialty)

5. Is there anything I should be doing extra to try and assure admission committees that I'm well enough to attend grad school?

1: I don't really know. But if you can get your GPA up to >3.5 then it probably won't matter. I'm sure Adcoms will understand if you had to take a medical leave.

2: Getting an A does not make up for your C in orgo, but many people do poorly in orgo so I doubt it will be held against you.

3: I think taking grades courses are better than P/S. Since you have yet to take the MCAT, literature analysis may do you well for CARS section, which is all literature analysis.

4: Haha probably not. You could say this experience was an inspiration but you really only saw around 1/3 of what a doctor does, as a patient

5: So you can't turn back time. Just get your GPA up (don't take heavy class loads if you can't do this) and do well on the MCAT. Write an interesting story as to why you want to become a doctor, and you should be good