Someone help me :( ... Failed step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadgraduate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a IMG that did clinical rotations in the US, with a 4.0 GPA but with a 194 in step 1, step 2 CS pass and I recently found out I failed step 2 CK.

This is the most disappointing experience I've ever had. I was hoping to apply to residency since I already graduated in June. I don't even know why I failed, I took 3 NBMES scoring between 220-250. I had a ~72 percent average on UWORLD.

The actual test day, I barely slept the night before... I just couldn't and someone kept calling my house at 5 am and I just couldn't get back to sleep. I got diarrhea and had to take a break nearly after every block in the beginning and couldn't eat because when I did I ended up having to go back to the bathroom. I didn't finish any blocks on time, it was like i was there but my brain just didn't show up. The question stems were SOOOO much longer then any practice exam and so vague and I was used to finishing UWORLD with barely any time to spare...

I don't know what to do... I already repaid for the exam and enrolled in kaplan q bank since I've already done UWORLD...

Should I apply to residency with my fail? I have strong LoR and PS. should I wait until I have a pending grade on my transcript or should I wait till I retake it and get the results back? If I wait the earliest I'd be able to apply is middle/end of October and at that point would it even be worth it or should I wait till next year? btw I want to apply to Psychiatry

F M L.

I feel like such a loser. Even my step 1 was a disappointment I ended up scoring much lower then my NBME's... :( I am so sad but trying my best to focus on studying again.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give up. Pick yourself up and retake the exam by the latest possible time in order for you to apply for residency. Just go all out. Don't give up on your dreams!

I am a IMG that did clinical rotations in the US, with a 4.0 GPA but with a 194 in step 1, step 2 CS pass and I recently found out I failed step 2 CK.

This is the most disappointing experience I've ever had. I was hoping to apply to residency since I already graduated in June. I don't even know why I failed, I took 3 NBMES scoring between 220-250. I had a ~72 percent average on UWORLD.

The actual test day, I barely slept the night before... I just couldn't and someone kept calling my house at 5 am and I just couldn't get back to sleep. I got diarrhea and had to take a break nearly after every block in the beginning and couldn't eat because when I did I ended up having to go back to the bathroom. I didn't finish any blocks on time, it was like i was there but my brain just didn't show up. The question stems were SOOOO much longer then any practice exam and so vague and I was used to finishing UWORLD with barely any time to spare...

I don't know what to do... I already repaid for the exam and enrolled in kaplan q bank since I've already done UWORLD...

Should I apply to residency with my fail? I have strong LoR and PS. should I wait until I have a pending grade on my transcript or should I wait till I retake it and get the results back? If I wait the earliest I'd be able to apply is middle/end of October and at that point would it even be worth it or should I wait till next year? btw I want to apply to Psychiatry

F M L.

I feel like such a loser. Even my step 1 was a disappointment I ended up scoring much lower then my NBME's... :( I am so sad but trying my best to focus on studying again.

Is money a barrier?
- No. Apply now. Worst case scenario, you apply again next year
- Yes. Consider. Maybe take a year off, REALLY nail that Step 2 score.

There is no other barrier than money. You are applying psych. Your step scores suck. They get it. Being IMG hurts more. The longer you wait, the more AMG allopaths there will be, and the fewer slots you will find available to you.

book a hotel, eat only food you cook yourself for the 3 days preceding, and make sure you do UWorld twice. and actually understand it too. read every explanation and take notes on the answers. dont blow it off.

F M L.

You CAN do it. There's a point in your life when you have to decide - do I want to lay down and take defeat or do I want to stand up and fight. Stand up and FIGHT IT. This red hair aint for nothing! Go through UW by subject very carefully and I mean each question choice. Look up everything and read. Buy some notebooks and take notes on symptoms, PE/Hx, diagnosis and management. As you can see they are after tiny details. If you are unsure of some of your online resources, buy First Aid for step 2 CK. The answers are all in those two resources.

Keep going - everybody fails. If they try to tell you they haven't they're either not old enough or are lying.

Reactions: 1 user