Someone I know is lying about their volunteering hours.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isso1418

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A person I volunteered with in a hospital said they volunteered for 500 hours but we began around the same time and I know for sure that she didn't volunteer for that many hours. Do you think that dental schools will call and verify since its a lot of hours? I really don't think its fair and I really want to confront her but I feel like its none of my business and if she wants to lie about that then it will bite her in the butt later. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

They probably won't call and verify the hours, there's way too many applicants to track that stuff down for.

I think you should let it go - not your problem to deal with and there really isn't anything you can do about it.

Reactions: 16 users
For the most part, it's honor system at play with volunteer hours. Most likely no one will call and verify...unless someone questions their credibility at the dental school end...but don't do that. Just be the bigger person here. They'll probably cut more corners down the road and impair their ability to graduate, get a good job, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like you have a good example bring up for the ethics questions.

Your life is simpler if you ignore them

Reactions: 7 users
Oh look life isn't fair!

Reactions: 2 users
Weird, I had this discussion with someone just the other day - how dental schools dont check what really happens.
I am too scared to lie but her exbf did and hes in 3rd year now. If she wanted to tell the school that, he might be really screwed so its never worth it.

I had the dean of admissions at Nova sit in front of my pre-dental society, and he legitimately said to lie about shadowing hours if you didn't have them for a particular school. I didn't do that, but please be aware people lie about this sort of thing every cycle. You can't really do anything about it.

Reactions: 1 users
I had the dean of admissions at Nova sit in front of my pre-dental society, and he legitimately said to lie about shadowing hours if you didn't have them for a particular school. I didn't do that, but please be aware people lie about this sort of thing every cycle. You can't really do anything about it.
Whaaaaaaaaat

Thats absolutely ridiculous!

Whaaaaaaaaat
Thats absolutely ridiculous!
To be fair, his point made sense. Shadowing is supposed to be for the student, so they can determine if the career is truly right for them. His point was that no one can really set a mandate on how long it will take a student to do that. Also, this only applied for shadowing, not volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be fair, his point made sense. Shadowing is supposed to be for the student, so they can determine if the career is truly right for them. His point was that no one can really set a mandate on how long it will take a student to do that. Also, this only applied for shadowing, not volunteering.
I think most people bump their hours up by at least 10 anyway.

I wish I had such minor things to worry about

Reactions: 1 user
I lied about my height on the application. thats something they can easily confirm at the interview. i still got accepted.

Reactions: 3 users
I lied about my height on the application. thats something they can easily confirm at the interview. i still got accepted.
You guys have a great sense of humor :|

Don't worry about it.

at the very least 10, not by 10 amigo lol
Oh believe me, I know what he meant. But to think that someone would add... let's say 15 hours to their shadowing hours, is what makes him innocent lol. I know people who went to town when they filled up their shadowing hours on AADSAS. Those people added 300+... lets not talk about the people who wrote their recommendation letters.

It's a tricky situation. Dental schools might think you're a "tattle tale" for tattling on someone, and thus think you aren't confident in your own application etc. But on the other hand, it is kind of BS if they got in over someone with say 50 legit Volunteer hours vs 500 fake ones. Honestly, if I was an adcom and someone lists over 200 hours on anything I would be so suspicious. I wouldn't call right away, but if I was comparing his application to someone else over a decision for acceptance, then I would probably calls to make sure everything is legit etc. But, alas I do not think they do that either, because I imagine it could be hard to confirm/deny those hours especially if the organization uses paper copies of volunteer logs.

I was going to say something along these lines.

I think if you are lying about shadowing, you really only hurt yourself.

Dentistry isn't perfect and has plenty of problems associated with the profession right now.

If you think you are sure about going into a profession without shadowing and trying to truly understand what its like, ultimately you're the one who will get burned - not the dental school. They just need excellent students who will not fail out and who will pay the school X amount of dollars.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
I was going to say something along these lines.

I think if you are lying about shadowing, you really only hurt yourself.

Dentistry isn't perfect and has plenty of problems associated with the profession right now.

If you think you are sure about going into a profession without shadowing and trying to truly understand what its like, ultimately you're the one who will get burned - not the dental school. They just need excellent students who will not fail out and who will pay the school X amount of dollars.

I think once you get 4-50 hours you get to the point of diminishing returns.

I bet he really appreciates you telling us this

This is not related to this post and totally off subject and I didnt feel like making a new thread. My parents have a business for over 30 years and Ive been the manager for almost two years. I worked there for the most of my life. Should I put that on my app or should I not since its a family runned business?

This is not related to this post and totally off subject and I didnt feel like making a new thread. My parents have a business for over 30 years and Ive been the manager for almost two years. I worked there for the most of my life. Should I put that on my app or should I not since its a family runned business?

I would because it shows that....

1-you are able to lead employees

2-you know how a business is run

3-you are honestly telling how you've spent your time outside of school. Esp if you are one of those people who have to work while full time in school. It gives your GPA a bit more weight imo

A person I volunteered with in a hospital said they volunteered for 500 hours but we began around the same time and I know for sure that she didn't volunteer for that many hours. Do you think that dental schools will call and verify since its a lot of hours? I really don't think its fair and I really want to confront her but I feel like its none of my business and if she wants to lie about that then it will bite her in the butt later. What do you guys think?
If I were to lie, I would put a reasonable sounding number such as 170-215. 500 sounds like just complete nonsense. However, people are going to lie. There's no way around it. I don't think D schools will check either. I think that strong letters of recommendation talking about one's character and hard work will verify what is on the application and this is probably what admissions looks at most for non academic consideration.

It's a tricky situation. Dental schools might think you're a "tattle tale" for tattling on someone, and thus think you aren't confident in your own application etc. But on the other hand, it is kind of BS if they got in over someone with say 50 legit Volunteer hours vs 500 fake ones. Honestly, if I was an adcom and someone lists over 200 hours on anything I would be so suspicious. I wouldn't call right away, but if I was comparing his application to someone else over a decision for acceptance, then I would probably calls to make sure everything is legit etc. But, alas I do not think they do that either, because I imagine it could be hard to confirm/deny those hours especially if the organization uses paper copies of volunteer logs.
Wait really, that's what most dental schools think is average?
I have over one thousand volunteer hours, almost two thousand at this point; are people gonna think I'm lying?
They were all legit volunteering btw, I'm just really passionate about volunteering.

Someone I know lied about residency on an app. It infuriated me but I let it go. I can sleep at night know I put myself out there honestly. Let it go.

I have over one thousand volunteer hours, almost two thousand at this point; are people gonna think I'm lying?
They were all legit volunteering btw, I'm just really passionate about volunteering.

#same

What are your stats?

What are your stats?

My stats why do you wanna know?
Uh, I'm studying at the University of Michigan and have a double major in psychology and biology with a minor in public health.
I have a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.1 BCP GPA
I haven't taken the DAT yet; I'm an incoming Junior.
I also have 150 shadowing hours, but I'm getting more soon thanks to a pediatric dentist's clinic; I love working with children!

and here I was worried about adding 1 hour because the Addsas didn't expect to add half.
What's wrong with people

Ok lie, but 500 hours! What the hell!

o_O

My stats why do you wanna know?
Uh, I'm studying at the University of Michigan and have a double major in psychology and biology with a minor in public health.
I have a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.1 BCP GPA
I haven't taken the DAT yet; I'm an incoming Junior.
I also have 150 shadowing hours, but I'm getting more soon thanks to a pediatric dentist's clinic; I love working with children!
I got into 3 dental schools with those stats and 1000+ volunteer hours with a 21 AA so don't worry.

Regarding "lying" about hours, claiming 650 hours when you did 500 is one thing, but if she's egregiously claiming 1500 hours for the 500 hours, I'd simply let it go. If she happens to be a compulsive liar regarding other aspects of her life, it'll eventually catch up to her.

Simply focus on your own life and focus things you need to accomplish to get to where you want to be ;)

Oh dear! Did you inform the church leaders of the high courts!

It all depends on how big the lie is, really. Use your own judgement. If it was an egregious lie and I thought they were a terrible, immoral person... I'd at the very least send an anonymous email with asterisks and exclamation points galore pointing out what a terrible person they are (granted, if I was on the adcom, I wouldn't put much thought in an anonymous email, but it would at least make me add an interview question or two). Don't believe the admission committees and tour guides when they tell you it's all about merit. Dental school application is a bloodthirsty, cutthroat endeavor. It's saturated with nepotism and special interests. I wouldn't trust my own family members to 15% of my classmates for ethical reasons. And I'm very confident that would be the same at any other school, if not more.

Most people will bump up their hours by a little bit but 500 is absurd. Still I agree with most from this post, just worry about your own application and let nature take its course with your friend.

I have encountered far worse lying. A few volunteer hours seem like nothing. It seems to me that some schools do very little checking. Once the criminal background check is complete, the application stands on its own merit, whatever that might be. With that said, even the best plans can go awry and come back at you when you least suspect it. I have seen this happen, and it is very ugly.