something wrong with Brown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

For those applying out of state, do you find something wrong with the adcoms offering 100 acceptances for 10 spots. Why aren't the other 90 accepting. What's wrong with this school?

Members don't see this ad.

Chankovsky said:
For those applying out of state, do you find something wrong with the adcoms offering 100 acceptances for 10 spots. Why aren't the other 90 accepting. What's wrong with this school?

You have to realize that Brown is a rookie in terms of the med school admission process. As I'm sure they told you in your interview, up until this year, all of the class came from the PLME program (8-year undergrad and MD), the Dartmouth-Brown program, and a handful of students came from these other alliances with other undergrad institutions. Anyway, they are trying to pilot what it would be like to open admissions to everyone. This is their first year, which explains why they are so freaking late interviewing and getting decisions out. They have no idea how to handle more than just a few hundred applicants! But, watch out, in a few years Brown will get it together and I predict it will really make a name for itself among medical schools.

PMinty44 said:
You have to realize that Brown is a rookie in terms of the med school admission process. As I'm sure they told you in your interview, up until this year, all of the class came from the PLME program (8-year undergrad and MD), the Dartmouth-Brown program, and a handful of students came from these other alliances with other undergrad institutions. Anyway, they are trying to pilot what it would be like to open admissions to everyone. This is their first year, which explains why they are so freaking late interviewing and getting decisions out. They have no idea how to handle more than just a few hundred applicants! But, watch out, in a few years Brown will get it together and I predict it will really make a name for itself among medical schools.

I totally agree

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that there is probably something wrong with BMS historically that made them close their medical school to the public. And the current dynamic there would possibly be odd for one of these 10 standard applicants. The PLMEs (I think that is what they are called) all have known each other for 4 years already.

That said, they have a kicking match list for a med school ranked so poorly by usnews, and I work in internal medicine at a harvard teaching hospital that always loves getting housestaff from brown.

maybe they only offer acceptances to the highest caliber students (ie...those that will also get accepted to harvard, hopkins, etc..) so they get low yield, but the students who do matriculate are top notch.

they might care less about the numbers (yield, etc) and more about the quality of students.

other schools will try to avoid accepting students who they know will end up at higher ranked institutions.

I know that getting into Brown through the Brown-Dartmouth program is highly selective, as it requires getting a Dartmouth interview, and then placing yourself in a smaller pool of interviewed applicants that want to go to Brown for clinical training. So only a fraction of the 100 students that elect Brown-Dartmouth are accepted.