Somewhat late applicant question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GD26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have followed these forums for the past few years of my life, gathering all the info I could. This is a great site and it has really helped me on my journey towards hopefully becoming a dentist. I have a quick question that hopefully some people could provide insight on.

First some stats. I go to a relatively top tier school, I have a 3.63 cumulative gpa and a 3.74 science gpa as a bio major. I took the dat at the end of june and got a 22 AA, 23 TS, 21 PAT, 24 RC, and 18 QR. I have about 250-300 shadowing hrs and decent volunteering experience and ECs, I also play for a D1 athletic team. I submitted my app 7/18 and it says the mailing date was 7/25. I sent in the supplemental apps about a week after submitting the general app. My uncle is a dentist and my father has a few close friends, well 3 close friends, who are dentists as well.

Here is where the question comes... The periodontist who wrote one of my rec letters submitted it at the end of August, and then my health advisor had to wait until all my letters were in to finish my committee letter. So all together, my app was submitted without the letter packet on 7/25 and then my letter packet was just submitted on 9/10. So my question is, which is considered my real mailing out date, 7/25, or 9/10? And will the fact that it took so long to get my letters in affect my chances of getting in? And finally, could anyone possibly tell me, or estimate, when I might start hearing back from schools regarding interviews, assuming that I might get any in the first place? I know it says about 4 weeks or so after your application is complete, but does the fact that I submitted my app early and was just waiting on the rec letters change anything?

Wow, sorry that was much longer than I wanted it to be, but if anyone could give their opinion or insight I would really appreciate it. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.