Sophomore Pre-Med Student with some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spenceast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am planning on taking the MCAT and applying to med school in 2016.

I am currently finishing my Associates and I am planning to graduate with my BA of Psychology in 2016. While doing that, I will be working on my MCAT requirements...my question is what should I do this fall? I am taking Biology in the summer, but I still need my Gen. Chem. and Organic chem and physics courses. To get into Gen. Chem, my university requires Math 1050 (college algebra) as a pre-req...my original plan was to stick with just biology and some Psychology electives in the summer, do Math 1050 in the fall, and then start on Gen. Chem. + Lab in the spring of next year.

However, I figured it would be a good idea to ask here first. What do you guys think? Should I do Math 1050 in the summer so I can start on Gen. Chem in the fall? When would be best to do my Principles of Biology course? (That course is a pre-req. to get into Physiology, Anatomy and the like). The main problem is that the math course and the biology course are at conflicting times in the summer...I could possible do the Math 1050 course online, but I don't know how I would feel about that because I am not very proficient in math skills....

What would your advice be for a future Summer 2014/Fall 2014/Spring 2015 course schedule, with emphasis on working on MCAT/med school requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

You're a sophomore and haven't started any pre-reqs? Are you waiting to transfer from a community college?

Also, that Math class will be a lot easier than any Calc class, so I would take it!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a sophomore and haven't started any pre-reqs? Are you waiting to transfer from a community college?
Yes, I am waiting to transfer...I am finishing my associate's degree in May and then I will be transferring to another University in the fall.

But anyways, if you're concern is the MCAT, take the courses that you think you'll be weakest in (for example, I'll be weakest in Physics so I'm taking it now).

Other than that, it doesn't really matter and is up to you.