Sophomore undergrad....advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rwsrws

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice! I am a sophomore I have about 50 hours of clinical volunteer experience in college (more from high school), I have a 3.96 (3.90 sGPA) GPA and just started doing research. I will be shadowing numerous physicians in the coming months, and plan on continuing the research for as long as I can. This summer and over breaks, I will get more clinical volunteer experience and non clinical volunteer hours. I have 2 really good recommenders already, but as I am only in my sophomore year, I know I have time for more! I am a Chinese minor also...does that help me at all with applying to med school?
What do I need to worry about that I am not worrying about right now?
Any advice?
Does Chinese help, or should I drop it?
Am I on the right track?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Chinese minor also...does that help me at all with applying to med school?
Am I on the right track?
Probably not

What do I need to worry about that I am not worrying about right now?

Your social life

Any advice?

Chill, you're fine.

Does Chinese help, or should I drop it?

Do what you want to do as long as you can maintain that awesome GPA.

Am I on the right track?

Probably

Reactions: 1 user
Spanish would probably more helpful tbh, especially if you want to work in an area with a high Hispanic population. If you want to have an interesting skill that might stand out, Arabic is actually the fastest growing language in the US. Neither of these should be prioritized over your c/sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're on the right track. Adcoms don't care about your major/minor, so study what is useful, interesting, and most importantly, allows you to maintain a high GPA.

You're doing well. I'd say relax and try and not overwhelm yourself. Your next steps should be maintaining your GPA, finalizing your volunteering (I feel like the 50 clinical hours you have rn are sufficient IMO), diversifying your shadowing, and starting to put the MCAT in the back of your mind. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Your minor probably won't make any positive contribution on your application but if you're passionate about it and taking the extra courses won't negatively impact your GPA then go for it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You're doing well. I'd say relax and try and not overwhelm yourself. Your next steps should be maintaining your GPA, finalizing your volunteering (I feel like the 50 clinical hours you have rn are sufficient IMO), diversifying your shadowing, and starting to put the MCAT in the back of your mind. Good luck.

I would say the 50 hours in clinical volunteering are a good start but if OP can maintain this involvement through junior/senior year then they're in a much better opinion. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable if I only had 50 clinical hours under my belt

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile