Sorry this has probably been asked before like 1000 times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavodnas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice about, General Surgery Residency. I am an IMG who has US Citizenship (not a caribbean graduate). I have USCE and I have 2 letters from the US for Surgery (one is a Vice Chair). I have one paper about to be published (hopefully) soon, that I did while I was rotating in the US. I have an ok Score on Step I: 238, I am taking Step 2 soon. Do I have a realistic shot at a categorical spot? Should I go preliminary only ? I know everyone in theory has a shot at any given residency no matter what scores and experience you have. But I am looking for more practical advice. THANKS !

Members don't see this ad.

It *has* been asked a 1000 times before which is why we tend not to answer these questions.

No one knows your chances because in the end it comes down to you and the mecurial whims of the faculty you are interviewing with.

But I cannot fathom why you wouldn't at least try for a Categorical position, and then rank Prelim spots below it (your post implies you would consider applying only for Prelim).

Thanks for the reply, I figured I wouldn't get a ton of feedback. My question though, how does that work? Lets say I apply for both prelim and categorical. Does that mean I have to choose some programs as prelim and others as categorical? Or can I apply to the same as categorical and a prelim? Last question is how would the interview situation work?

It *has* been asked a 1000 times before which is why we tend not to answer these questions.

No one knows your chances because in the end it comes down to you and the mecurial whims of the faculty you are interviewing with.

But I cannot fathom why you wouldn't at least try for a Categorical position, and then rank Prelim spots below it (your post implies you would consider applying only for Prelim).

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, the answer is yes...yes, you can apply to both cat and prelim at the same program. The interview situation works however you get interview offers. If I am not mistaken, there actually are not that many programs that interview prelim applicants....just take what they can.

Thanks for the reply, I figured I wouldn't get a ton of feedback. My question though, how does that work? Lets say I apply for both prelim and categorical. Does that mean I have to choose some programs as prelim and others as categorical? Or can I apply to the same as categorical and a prelim? Last question is how would the interview situation work?

Please do a search on this topic - has been discussed a lot both in the General Residency forum as well as the ERAS forum.