Soul searching...need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stokrotka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to cut the intro and go straight to the point:

I need some thought on the idea of switching specialties from anesthesia to rads while I'm not too deep into my training.

I am currently 3 months into my internship (a nice cushy transitional year) and just finished my radiology elective and guess what - I realized how much I enjoyed rads and started second guessing my decision.

I was between rads and gas for a while but eventually decided on anesthesia and matched into a very good program (top 10 in the country).

Now that I finished my rads elective I can't sleep at night thinking about whether I should try to switch or not.
Unfortunately my story is a little complicated...

I am a foreign grad (like really foreign, just moved to the US 2 yrs ago) but got a green card so no worries there.
My board scores are in the 240s (both step 1 & 2) and I was in the top 5% of my class (but again, I'm a foreign grad).
I do not have a Dean's Letter, just transcripts.
When it comes to LORs I'm sure I can get good ones from my current PD and from the Chief of radiology at my institution (he was my preceptor last month and was very impressed with my skills).

So anyways, my biggest dilemma is should I switch or not??
I did truly enjoy anesthesia and it's hard to tell which field I liked better.
It's been a while since my anesthesia rotation (almost 2 years) so it would be nice to do an elective now just to compare the two head to head but unfortunately I do not have that option. I would hate to decide on something and than question myself again thinking "maybe I should have stayed with gas because I picked it in the first place - for a reason!"

So this is it... any thoughts?

Oh, and also, had I decided to switch after all - would I have ANY chance of getting into a good rads program?

I will greatly appreciate your input guy as I'm getting a headache from thinking too much about it.

Members don't see this ad.

In general its easier to make switches into a less competitive or equally competitive specialty. If you were coming from derm or plastic surgery or ENT its one thing. Your step scores are excellent, but without comparable grades from a US medical school, it will be tough to size you up with other applicants. It will be difficult to find a spot as an IMG.

It sounds like you enjoy anesthesia and you've matched at a great program. Unless you hate anesthesia why go through the pain of the match all over again?

If all things are equal, then stick with anesthesia. Its one less year of residency with great job opportunities. If you really enjoy radiology over anesthesia thats one thing, but keep in mind radiology reimbursement is set to take a huge cut in the next 4 years-- anesthesia will not be affected as much.

If things are a toss up for you, than with all the other factors taken in to consideration, I would stick with gas. But in the end, only YOU can decide what is best for YOU.

Good luck with your decision!
-Hans

Hans,

thanks a lot for your response (the only one in a week :rolleyes: ).
You brought up some valid points.
I've been doing a lot of thinking, talking to people and searching the net for options and I came up with a decision to stick with the match results.
Just like you said - it's one year less (two years if I had to go through the match again), I already have a secure spot in a great program, job perspectives are good... Too many things to loose trying to switch now.
Oh and by the way - I do enjoy anesthesia - a lot! :)

Again, thanks for your input!