southern med schools for out-of-staters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigress

queen of the jungle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying in the upcoming cycle. I grew up in South Carolina and my entire family is there, but I currently live in Philadelphia with my husband. I really want to return to the South at some point, and I would love to be closer to my family (almost entire immediate and extended family lives in Charleston). So I'm looking into which southern schools to apply to. The one other condition is that they have to accept transfer students, because any possibility of me going there will hinge on my husband being able to transfer for 3rd and 4th years.

That said, here are the schools I'm thinking:

Emory -- Great school, fairly close to my family. I hear they are family-friendly and do accept transfers for qualified applicants with need. Being near the CDC is a big plus because I might be interested in pursuing opportunities there.

MUSC -- Not sure about transfers. Better if actually a SC resident, but I do have very strong connections to the area. In the same city as my family. Used to be ranked in primary care but somehow got bumped this year; who the heck cares about those stupid rankings anyway :p :cool:

USC (SC) -- Not so into this school, but a possibility.

Not sure what else. I admit I know next to nothing about schools in other states. Duke is out of the question because of the transfer issue, and also because I don't want to do their 1 year science curriculum and not interested in research (and also my stats might not be good enough?).

I suppose some people will say to get the MSAR, but I haven't had the chance. I'm just looking for some names of schools to look into.

thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

CoffeeCat said:
Tulane's great for out-of-staters, and they do accept transfer students:
Tulane Advanced Standing

Thanks! Tulane occurred to me a while after posting this thread. New Orleans seems like a cool place, although I've heard it's not the safest. I wonder how far it is from Charleston? I'm going to check.

thanks again for the info :)

Members don't see this ad :)
um, yeah, check the distance from Tulane (New Orleans) to Charleston. Philadelphia's closer to Charleston than New Orleans is. At least that's what MapQuest thinks. The South is a huge geographic region.

CoffeeCat said:
Tulane's great for out-of-staters, and they do accept transfer students:
Tulane Advanced Standing

tigress said:
New Orleans seems like a cool place, although I've heard it's not the safest.
You should be fine as long as you stay out of the ghetto. Although that might be tough since the ghetto and the nice streets are right next to each other.

Vandy? Wake? Miami (probably too far south)?

Duke and Wake Forest? (I think previous poster said Wake, but I can't remember!)

Also in Georgia: Mercer and Morehouse.

Tigger27 said:
Also in Georgia: Mercer and Morehouse.

Mercer is in-state only. Morehouse is possible, but she didn't say she was URM.

tigress said:
I'll be applying in the upcoming cycle. I grew up in South Carolina and my entire family is there, but I currently live in Philadelphia with my husband. I really want to return to the South at some point, and I would love to be closer to my family (almost entire immediate and extended family lives in Charleston). So I'm looking into which southern schools to apply to. The one other condition is that they have to accept transfer students, because any possibility of me going there will hinge on my husband being able to transfer for 3rd and 4th years.

That said, here are the schools I'm thinking:

Emory -- Great school, fairly close to my family. I hear they are family-friendly and do accept transfers for qualified applicants with need. Being near the CDC is a big plus because I might be interested in pursuing opportunities there.

MUSC -- Not sure about transfers. Better if actually a SC resident, but I do have very strong connections to the area. In the same city as my family. Used to be ranked in primary care but somehow got bumped this year; who the heck cares about those stupid rankings anyway :p :cool:

USC (SC) -- Not so into this school, but a possibility.

Not sure what else. I admit I know next to nothing about schools in other states. Duke is out of the question because of the transfer issue, and also because I don't want to do their 1 year science curriculum and not interested in research (and also my stats might not be good enough?).

I suppose some people will say to get the MSAR, but I haven't had the chance. I'm just looking for some names of schools to look into.

thanks in advance!!!
UAB???

wilson04 said:
um, yeah, check the distance from Tulane (New Orleans) to Charleston. Philadelphia's closer to Charleston than New Orleans is. At least that's what MapQuest thinks. The South is a huge geographic region.

That's true, and I mean specifically the southeast. Even if New Orleans is farther away from Charleston than Philadelphia is, it still feels closer just by being in the south. But of course you're right, it doesn't fit that criteria.

Thanks everybody for the info. :thumbup: Some of the state schools only accept in-state, or at least almost entirely. I'll look at Wake. (oh and I'm not a URM)

While I'm not sure how Southern Norfolk would be, I can tell you that Richmond would be southern and that Eastern Virginia Med and the Medical College of Virginia take out-of-state. UVA does, too, but I don't think they take transfers.

Also, Vandy should be about a 7.5 hour trip from Charleston. Richmond is maybe 6.75. Norfolk about 7.

Shades McCool said:

UAB will be very hard to get into if you're not an AL resident or a non-resident from a neighboring state who has strong ties to AL. I am planning to apply there as a non-resident, but I live next door in FL, I'm a former AL state resident, and I'm a UAB alum. The admissions office said that my ties to AL were strong enough for me to have a shot at getting in there, but they don't take many non-residents even with strong ties, so be forewarned. :p

Tigress, I'd look at Miami; they take a lot of out-of-staters and while it isn't a fun drive because FL is so d*** long, it can be done in a day. There are also lots of discount airliners here.