Spaulding and USMLEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubsfan

Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for anyone in the know: The Spaulding website says there is a 80th% cutoff to qualify for an interview...but this does not apply to US Grads, only FMGs...is this correct?

Members don't see this ad.

cubsfan said:
Quick question for anyone in the know: The Spaulding website says there is a 80th% cutoff to qualify for an interview...but this does not apply to US Grads, only FMGs...is this correct?
When I was applying a few years back, that only applied to FMGs.

I called their office. They said that the 80% cutoff is still intact. However, USMLEs no longer publish percentiles with score reports. Does anyone know what the approximate 80th percentile region of scores used to be? That will answer questions as to what their initial screening criteria is. Also, the cutoff was not for just IMGs, but for everyone (according to their office).

undercover said:
I called their office. They said that the 80% cutoff is still intact. However, USMLEs no longer publish percentiles with score reports. Does anyone know what the approximate 80th percentile region of scores used to be? That will answer questions as to what their initial screening criteria is. Also, the cutoff was not for just IMGs, but for everyone (according to their office).

Well they don't publish percentiles but we can still figure out exactly how each score corresponds. My score report said the mean is 217 and 1 SD is 20 points. On a bell curve, 1 SD is 84th percentile which is 237. So roughly to get 80th percentile it would be around 230. I honestly don't know if harvard is really going to screen like this.