Speacilzing with mediocre GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Demilaax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do students with mediocre grades have a chance at speacilzing right after dental school? I know it's such a vague questions.. but I was wondering if anyone has had experience or know someone that has specialized. I also know it depends on which field I'm referring to.. I had OMFS in mind, but I don't think I'll have a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if you can specialize right out of dental school into OMFS with mediocre grades, unless you went to a very prestigious dschool, although those are usually pass, no pass, honors. However, a girl at one of my interviews said that after you get experience out in practice you can apply for specialties and have a better chance at it. Therefore, immediate after graduation I would say no you probably won't. 5-10 years after graduation your chances might be better after practicing for 5-10 years. Hope my answer helps.

Why not? I've often heard that GPA isn't all that important. Nail the NBDE, get good LOR, go on externships, and interview well.

Reactions: 1 user
it's all about class ranking and extracurriculars. the NBDE is P/F now, so class ranking is huge.

and if your grades aren't the greatest---depending on the specialty, going into private prac then coming back makes a huge deal. one residency in particular that values work experience is endo..at least from what i've heard