PCAT Special Offers and Raffle from Kaplan Test Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exclusively for Test Prep Week, Kaplan is pleased to offer a special discount for SDN members! Enroll in a comprehensive Kaplan PCAT Course between March 7th and March 9th, 2011, and automatically receive $100 off the cost of your tuition, plus our Organic Edge (a $499 value) absolutely free!

To take advantage of this special offer, call 1-800-KAP-TEST today.

In addition, as part of Test Prep Week we'll be raffling off a free comprehensive PCAT prep course! The winner will be chosen from among the members who post questions about our courses or otherwise contribute meaningfully to the discussion. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long does the PCAT prep course last?

What is the difference between a comprehensive PCAT course and the organic edge? Wouldn't the PCAT comprehensive cover everything (including organic) as part of the course?

Are there test banks and practice tests as part of the course or the organic edge?

Great questions! @MathDebate, the PCAT course consists of 11 live sessions covering all sections of the PCAT, as well as a Diagnostic test, a Midterm full-length test, and a Final full-length test (the tests are all taken at home on the computer to give you a more realistic test-like experience). Depending on the schedule you choose, the course could be completed in anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks; however, remember that you should expect to spend several hours each week studying outside of class as well.

@Jabberwocky12 - The Organic Edge is a course that's specifically designed for students who either haven't taken Organic Chemsitry yet or simply feel that their knowledge of O-Chem is particularly week. The course goes back to the basics of O-Chem and is designed to build and strengthen the foundational knowledge that's necessary for the PCAT. While the comprehensive PCAT courses cover the same subjects, they do so at a more accelerated rate that assumes a prior understanding of the content. The Organic Edge course does include a series of workshops and practice quizzes that are not a part of the normal PCAT course, but that instead focus on building raw knowledge of Organic Chemistry at large (and are thus not PCAT focused).

Hope that answers your questions - let us know if you have more!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 2009 version from a friend. What updates have there been since that edition? Do any updates have to do with the computerized version of the PCAT?

@jweeze - If you're using an older version of our materials you'll still get good review of the basic sciences needed for the PCAT (the science hasn't changed much after all), but you'll be missing out on the practice for the new computer-based PCAT. Our new PCAT courses are starting up as we speak, and have been revised to include special strategies, tips, and CBT practice tests to help you manage the new testing format.

If you haven't done so already, head on over to our PCAT Test Changes Info Center to learn more about the new exam and register for our upcoming "Secrets of the CBT PCAT" seminar on 3/16. You can also watch a recording of an event in which Dr. Jennifer Athay of the AACP discusses the test change and how students can get ready for the new exam in time for July.

I just want to thank you guys for taking the time to post on here and give us the information that we need. Being a second year student barely getting my associates and going at everything rather blindly I appreciate all the information that I can get.

No problem Tenaciousme! We know how difficult life as a student can be, so we want to make the process of finding the right prep as easy as possible for you. Keep those questions coming, we'll always happy to engage the SDN community!

If I am only able to take the online course, would I be missing out on a lot that the classroom course offers? I think the online course is more suited for my schedule.

Also, if I take the prep course this summer, will all the course materials be updated to the new CBT format?

Great questions! @MathDebate, the PCAT course consists of 11 live sessions covering all sections of the PCAT, as well as a Diagnostic test, a Midterm full-length test, and a Final full-length test (the tests are all taken at home on the computer to give you a more realistic test-like experience). Depending on the schedule you choose, the course could be completed in anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks; however, remember that you should expect to spend several hours each week studying outside of class as well.

@Jabberwocky12 - The Organic Edge is a course that's specifically designed for students who either haven't taken Organic Chemsitry yet or simply feel that their knowledge of O-Chem is particularly week. The course goes back to the basics of O-Chem and is designed to build and strengthen the foundational knowledge that's necessary for the PCAT. While the comprehensive PCAT courses cover the same subjects, they do so at a more accelerated rate that assumes a prior understanding of the content. The Organic Edge course does include a series of workshops and practice quizzes that are not a part of the normal PCAT course, but that instead focus on building raw knowledge of Organic Chemistry at large (and are thus not PCAT focused).

Hope that answers your questions - let us know if you have more!
So how long does the Organic Edge course last? Because I don't think I will take organic in next semester so if the course lasts like 1-1,5 year.

Also if I register for a PCAT class, can I retake that class for free if I still have not taken the actually PCAT exam yet? Thanks

If I am only able to take the online course, would I be missing out on a lot that the classroom course offers? I think the online course is more suited for my schedule.

Also, if I take the prep course this summer, will all the course materials be updated to the new CBT format?

lazysnake,

Not at all! We get FANTASTIC feedback from students about the Anywhere classes we offer. You get everything that the classroom course offers and more. An especially appealing benefit of the Anywhere classes is that fact that you have 2-3 expert teachers working with you during each class session. This means that while one teacher is presenting the information you have access to live chat with two other teachers assisting. More information can be found at:

http://www.kaptest.com/PCAT-NAPLEX/Prep-for-the-PCAT/Classroom-Anywhere/pcat-advantage-anywhere.html

And, YES the course materials will be updated to reflect the new CBT format!

Let us know if you have more questions!

Patrick

So how long does the Organic Edge course last? Because I don't think I will take organic in next semester so if the course lasts like 1-1,5 year.

Also if I register for a PCAT class, can I retake that class for free if I still have not taken the actually PCAT exam yet? Thanks

Kenny,

We offer the resources for 6 months. We have put a lot of thought into this for our On Demand resources. When students have TOO much time they tend to lose their sense of urgency. This detracts from their studying a bit and they tend not to put in as much time as they should be putting in. If there are extenuating circumstances which causes a need to extend the resources we would be more than happy to discuss this with you.

In regards to your second question, yes you can take the class again for free. The link below shows everything that is detailed in our Higher Score Guarantee:

http://www.kaptest.com/PCAT-NAPLEX/...tage-anywhere.html?tb=higher-score-guaranteed

Bottom line: We want to help you get the score you are looking for!

If you have any other question please don't hesitate to ask!

Patrick

The 2010-2011 PCAT prep book had a disappointing number of errors that should have been caught prior to publishing. What steps is Kaplan taking to ensure that the next version of this product is improved?

The 2010-2011 PCAT prep book had a disappointing number of errors that should have been caught prior to publishing. What steps is Kaplan taking to ensure that the next version of this product is improved?

realrusty,

At Kaplan we are currently updating all of our resources for the new Computer Based PCAT! We take the feedback of our students very seriously and are always striving to provide the best possible product to our students. We want to help them achieve the score they are looking for!

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to PM me!

Patrick

Do you just meet up once a week for the class? How long are each class sessions? I am really interested in doing a Kaplan PCAT course once this semester ends as I am going to be taking the PCAT in July. I have heard great things from the in-class courses through Kaplan, as long as you keep up with doing problems outside of class. I am also curious, where do you have classes in Minnesota?

When will the new 2011-2012 Kaplan Study Guide be available?

CJay,

This should be coming out mid-April. It will be very CBT focused to accomodate for the test changes!

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.