Specialties of Medicine with Great lifestyle

D

deleted421268

Just curious to know if I decided to take the pre med route are there any specialties of medicine with relative comfortable lifestlye like that of a dentist??? I hear pediatric sub specialties like sports medicine or allergy offer good lifestyles?? Is this true???

Members don't see this ad.

Good God, you start a lot of threads. (Not Hatin', just observing).

The big four 'Lifestyle' specialties are called ROAD specialties. (Radiology, Ophthalmology, Anesthesiology, and Dermatology). EM is a borderline 'Lifestyle' specialty, as you work fewer hours than most doctors, but they are draining shifts. Also they work vampire hours, so it is a trade off. Allergy/Immunology has a decent lifestyle as well.

Psychiatry and psychiatric specialties are also life style specialties. FM can also be a lifestyle specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should just have one thread with all of your questions. Makes the front page a little bit less cluttered.

You're still in high school. I would first decide on becoming a doctor before worrying about specific specialities. You should actually like the type of medicine before picking a speciality, too. With that being said, though, the specialities that others have listed before, are considered to be the top lifestyle specialities.

You're still in high school. I would first decide on becoming a doctor before worrying about specific specialities. You should actually like the type of medicine before picking a speciality, too. With that being said, though, the specialities that others have listed before, are considered to be the top lifestyle specialities.

+1. A lot of people go into med school with an idea of what they want to be, but end up changing their minds come clerkships. Worry about getting into med school first.

Just curious to know if I decided to take the pre med route are there any specialties of medicine with relative comfortable lifestlye like that of a dentist??? I hear pediatric sub specialties like sports medicine or allergy offer good lifestyles?? Is this true???

My dentist works 9-5 four days a week and likely draws a salary greater than most full time physicians. So I say no, very very few physicians are going to be in that ballpark. In medicine, if you are working 50 hours a were, you are in a lifestyle field. And that's after many grueling years of training where you probably work 70+. honestly you don't want to go into medicine if lifestyle is a high priority. It's a career of long hours populated by workaholics. And I agree with a prior poster that you must must must pick a specialty based on what you enjoy, or you will be miserable, because even if the hours are lower, spending 50 hours a week at a job you hate is a prison sentence.

But as a prior poster suggested, all this is meaningless. You haven't even gotten to premed yet. And a lot will change in medicine even before you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
My dentist works 9-5 four days a week and likely draws a salary greater than most full time physicians. So I say no, very very few physicians are going to be in that ballpark. In medicine, if you are working 50 hours a were, you are in a lifestyle field. And that's after many grueling years of training where you probably work 70+. honestly you don't want to go into medicine if lifestyle is a high priority. It's a career of long hours populated by workaholics. And I agree with a prior poster that you must must must pick a specialty based on what you enjoy, or you will be miserable, because even if the hours are lower, spending 50 hours a week at a job you hate is a prison sentence.

But as a prior poster suggested, all this is meaningless. You haven't even gotten to premed yet. And a lot will change in medicine even before you apply.

Yea I don't even know yet to go pre dental route or pre med route??? I'm planning on going to volunteer at dental office this summer.