specialty/residency programme in emergency medicine somewhere in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

white-saint

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-EU medical graduate looking for a specialty/residency programme in emergency medicine somewhere in Europe. As far as I know the emergency medicine does not exist as a separate programme in most of the European countries. And in most cases you have to specialize in either anaesthesiology, internal medicine, surgery or paediatrics first and later go for a fellowship in emergency care.If any of you guys have any info regarding a complete emergency medicine training program, please share here.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This is dependent upon the country. For a listing of country EM societies' websites where you may find more specific info check out ifem.cc and look at the member list or look to the European Society of EM for more info. There are several countries in Europe which use a primary specialty model for EM training rather than superspecialty.

Germany is a fellowship-after-primary-specialty model. The UK, however, does have emergency medicine residencies but I'm not sure how easy it is to get in to one of them if you didn't train in the UK. Do you speak any European foreign languages? That would be a major issue for France, etc.