Specifically for Parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScioMom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Specifically for veterinary students and/or veterinarians with children: is it worth going to vet school while your kids are little?

I have a 2-year-old and an 11-month-old. Undergrad (animal science) completed June 2016. I'll have completed my master's degree (animal biology) June of 2018. VMCAS summer 2018 cycle. Best case scenario, accepted for class of 2023. Kids will be seven and six by graduation. Will they resent me being gone for so much of their childhood? Will I regret missing their little kid years? Will I regret not trying for my dream, if I choose to do something else? Would love to hear stories/input from vets and vet students who made these decisions already.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for having young children during this time but I speak from the child's point of view. If you have fears like this then maybe you should proceed with caution. My mom had a vet hospital growing up and there were times when I resented my parents for going away and dealing with emergencies when I would wake up from bad dreams with no one around to console me or pick me up from school etc. Sure there are other stories of me not being happy with my mom's profession but in the end I ended up following in her footsteps and admire her for what she gave both me and them.

Life is hard, do what you can and what is right. Your children will likely resent you regardless. Children don't know what they don't know but then we grow up and realize life is more complex than we previously thought. I think all our decisions have trade offs and I know many people seem to balance it. Make sure they know you love them. One last tidbit: my mom always said in hindsight that she wished she stayed in medical school rather than transferred to veterinary school to follow her dream. Just make money it's easier that way when you have a family to take care of.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you weren't going back to school, would you be working full time instead?

I've got a 3.5 and 2 year old right now, and will be starting 2nd year in the fall.
I think if you prioritize time for them it shouldn't be too bad. I usually set aside most of the time from when I get home from school until bed time, usually about 4:30-5 until 9ish, for them. It's also a nice break for my wife who is staying at home with them for the time being. I really haven't let school take away much of my time with them, and I'd usually rather spend time with them than do school stuff or studying anyways.