Specifics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ylrebmik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at pre-reqs and courses that undergrad schools offer and I noticed that two of my schools offer specific classes like mammology, wildlife nutrition, animal behavoir, etc along with the normal physics, chem, bio, etc. but the school that I was considering more so because it has everything else... doesn't have those specific courses. They more have the general courses. Does this put me at a disadvantage? Are the other classes really useful? Do you even have enough time in your 4 years to take all the extra courses after your major req, minor, and gen ed?

Members don't see this ad.

you can usually make time for the neat extra classes you want to take in undergrad.

but no, there's no disadvantage to not taking the extra fun classes. sure, they'll add something to your application, give you some experience/somehting to talk about, but i never once took any animal-related biology course (other than comparative anatomy).

Do you even have enough time in your 4 years to take all the extra courses after your major req, minor, and gen ed?

Depends on your major. If you were a history or art major, you would need to fit in the roughly 12 vet school pre-reqs around all your other classes. Which between those 12, your required classes for your major and all your Gen-eds, you arnt going to be left with much free time at all.

On the other hand if you are a bio/microbio/biochem/animal science major, then most of those core vet school requirements are going to overlap with the requirements for your major freeing up much more time for those other "fun" courses you would want to take.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmmkay. Thanks. I guess my other question is sort of off topic but I'll add it in here... when someone is going for their BS/BA.. and they decide to make it a masters.. how many years does it usually (average) take the person to continue that into a masters?

one to two.

Hey! I have to say that you should have plenty of time in undergrad to take those extra more 'interesting' courses. I double majored in classics and biology (BS) and i took a lot of extra bio classes (for the major of course). I LOVED mammology and would definitely rec that course. Anyways... I would not make that the deal breaker in my school selection requirement either. I am sure that your other school that does not offer those courses has equally interesting electives and or second majors/minors/filler courses. GOOD LUCK!!!

They're not required, but they'll make you a better person. Even vet school doesn't have time to teach you all of those interesting things. Comparative anatomy covers things that vet school's mammalian focus does not. Animal Physiology usually goes from insects to humans. I started taking Animal Behavior and I thought it was interesting but the professor's approach didn't work for me, so I dropped it.