Speed of Sound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Speed in solid > liquid > gas because of molecular bonding and ability to propagate another wave is greater in solids.

I have a note here that says speed of sound is proportional to the sqrt of molecular KE/molecular inertia.

So a gas made up of heavier particles would propagate a sound wave faster than a gas made up of lighter particles, but a more dense gas will propagate a sound wave slower than a less dense gas assuming the particles have the same mass?

Members don't see this ad.

Speed in solid > liquid > gas because of molecular bonding and ability to propagate another wave is greater in solids.

I have a note here that says speed of sound is proportional to the sqrt of molecular KE/molecular inertia.

So a gas made up of heavier particles would propagate a sound wave faster than a gas made up of lighter particles, but a more dense gas will propagate a sound wave slower than a less dense gas assuming the particles have the same mass?

that sounds right. i remember what seemed like a paradox when you asked a question similar to this before - the fastest sound travels in a not-dense but high bulk modulus medium. so it's light but resistant to movement.

that sounds right. i remember what seemed like a paradox when you asked a question similar to this before - the fastest sound travels in a not-dense but high bulk modulus medium. so it's light but resistant to movement.

:thumbup: gl Thursday MedPr!