speed reading classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miggidymo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i didnt score as high as i wanted on the verbal section and a few people have told me to take a speed reading class. has anybody else heard or done that and has it helped?

Members don't see this ad.

miggidymo said:
i didnt score as high as i wanted on the verbal section and a few people have told me to take a speed reading class. has anybody else heard or done that and has it helped?

haven't you read through EK verbal study guide? it specifically says that speed reading will not help you, in fact it will make it worse, because then you will be concentrating more on reading form than on the comprehension of the main idea.
definately do not take a speed reading class. if you don't have it, get EK Verbal Study Guide and EK Verbal 101.

Traditional speed reading techniques will probably not be very effective with MCAT verbal. The passages are designed in a way that for the reader to understand what it's talking about, the reading must be focused with a critical frame of mind. Speed reading will help you get the jist of a body of information, but much of the verbal section tests your ability to analyze and infer. However, practicing fast and *focused* reading will help immensely. If someone can read and understand a passage in around two-three minutes thus allowing more time for the actual questions, they will likely earn a pretty good score on VR. Despite what EK Verbal preaches, however, please do pay attention to the details in a passage - just don't let them break your rhythm.