Spinal and muscle relaxation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icecoldstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does spinal provide muscle relaxation for lower extremity tendon repair surgeries? Our surgeons want "0 twitch" for those and struggle is real. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Spinal: prevents active/intentional muscle movement and movement initiated by spinal cord reflex.

NMB: at adequate dosage prevents movement as above AND movement triggered by electrocautery stimulation of peripheral nerves.

NOTHING prevents localized muscle twitching triggered by electrocautery stimulation of motor end plates.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Spinal: prevents active/intentional muscle movement and movement initiated by spinal cord reflex.

NMB: at adequate dosage prevents movement as above AND movement triggered by electrocautery stimulation of peripheral nerves.

NOTHING prevents localized muscle twitching triggered by electrocautery stimulation of motor end plates.

To the OP: Just print this post and read it out loud every time!

Reactions: 2 users

I'm not talking about electrocautery stuff. Sometimes when they start pulling and tugging on the muscles/fascia, they complain that it's too tight, and want roc. This pretty much force us to tube all those patients instead of a spinal. My question is, does giving high dose NMB to the point of 1-2 twitches provide the same degree of relaxation compared to a spinal? My thought is yes and make sense physiologically, but I can't really find any literature to support that statement.

The stretch reflex is a spinal reflex. Some people may have increased tone (eg, parkinson's).

Most of the time the "relaxation" they are seeking is due to scar tissue or contractures. Sometimes I just tell them "It is completely flat.....I can't paralyze scar tissue. (if it is 1/4 then basically >90% of receptors are occupied--which is functionally complete relaxation).

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not talking about electrocautery stuff. Sometimes when they start pulling and tugging on the muscles/fascia, they complain that it's too tight, and want roc. This pretty much force us to tube all those patients instead of a spinal. My question is, does giving high dose NMB to the point of 1-2 twitches provide the same degree of relaxation compared to a spinal? My thought is yes and make sense physiologically, but I can't really find any literature to support that statement.

Anecdotally, this complaint is true if spinal is wearing off or inadequate to begin with. Used to roll my eyes when surgeons said stuff like this then one day had an c section patient start to have some mild discomfort but tolerating procedure. 120 minutes in OB said stomach was tight. Rolled my eyes but decided to look over drape and her abs were squeezing her bowels out of the incision so hard they couldn’t close her up!

But a rock solid spinal, no, in that case they are full of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Surgical complaints about inadequate muscle relaxation are almost a perfect negative correlation with surgical skill.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Surgical complaints about inadequate muscle relaxation are almost a perfect negative correlation with surgical skill.

As the saying goes, Good surgeons don’t need muscle relaxation, bad surgeons don’t deserve it.

Reactions: 5 users
lol - put a rocuronium sticker on a syringe of normal saline and push some every time they say that.... they've gotta have something to blame and you gotta look like you are doing something to "fix" it ;-)

next they'll ask for hypocalcaemia

The stretch reflex is a spinal reflex. Some people may have increased tone (eg, parkinson's).

Most of the time the "relaxation" they are seeking is due to scar tissue or contractures. Sometimes I just tell them "It is completely flat.....I can't paralyze scar tissue. (if it is 1/4 then basically >90% of receptors are occupied--which is functionally complete relaxation).
Not to mention the fact that the tourniquet is on and they want you to redose...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Permissive Asystole

Sadly, in residency one of my co-residents was asked by an oncology surgeon to stop the iliac artery pulsations because they were interfering with his procedure :( you can’t make this s$*t up. He was a terrible surgeon.

Reactions: 1 users
Sadly, in residency one of my co-residents was asked by an oncology surgeon to stop the iliac artery pulsations because they were interfering with his procedure :( you can’t make this s$*t up. He was a terrible surgeon.

He should have replied, “I’ll call perfusion. You cannulate.”

Reactions: 7 users
He should have replied, “I’ll call perfusion. You cannulate.”
I had a transplant surgeon (CT and urology involved as well) during a circ arrest case ask me repeatedly 'how is the patient doing'?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I had a transplant surgeon (CT and urology involved as well) during a circ arrest case ask me repeatedly 'how is the patient doing'?

"He's not holding up his end of the conversation as well as he used to so I'm getting concerned."